Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

I'm quite annoyed with myself that I let all the talk of the final section put me off Fable 3 for so long. I'm about 4 hours in so far and have loved every minute; plus, it's staggeringly pretty:

LjhRv.jpg

More in the screenshots thread ;)

Just a heads-up for those who didn't already know: When you get All Zombies Must Die! There's a pack which includes: Burn Zombie Burn!, Burn Zombie Burn!: Soundtrack, All Zombies Must Die!, All Zombies Must Die!: Scorepocalypse , All Zombies Must Die!: Soundtrack but is priced at the same amount as All Zombies Must Die! :)

So better get that pack. I know I am!

Started Dear Esther last night. How atmospheric! I literally know nothing about it so I'm eager to play more.

Also started Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet which was nice! It has a metroid style map too, which is always a bonus :)

Was tempted to grab KotoR but I've completed that and I've been trying to at least only buy games I've never played. But HK47! :(

Finished Dear Esther. Gorgeous world, reasonable concept, fucking terrible writing.

Yeah all it needed was a simple, plaintive narrative about roaming the island to chime nicely with the visuals and music (which were both great). Instead it seemed to go for some tortuously written drivel with pretensions to being a clever indie flick. I assume it's intended to compel you to go back and uncover more of the story each time.

Hmm I'm getting this error trying to start Vampire The Masquerade.

"Available memory less than 15mb 560562176"

Anyone know if the patch tssk linked to fixes it? I'm downloading it now. Blinking pc gaming!

Anyone know if the patch tssk linked to fixes it? I'm downloading it now. Blinking pc gaming!

DO NOT EVER TRY TO PLAY BLOODLINES WITHOUT USING THE FANPATCH NEVER EVER EVER

The game is brilliant and one of the best RPG's ever but as has been said, it was released unfinished. The fans have finished it - and how! - but the original game without the fanpatch is unplayable. DOWNLOAD THE FANPATCH NOW IT'S WHY WE'RE CONSTANTLY LINKING TO IT

:)

I'm not wholly convinced that downloading the patch will go without a hitch either, so I think it's best if I copy-paste the instructions from the Bloodlines thread:

Imho, one of the best and most ambitious RPGs ever made, even if the last quarter of the game isn't as mind-blowingly brilliant as the rest of the game. Troika weren't allowed to finish it or even patch it up properly after its release, but luckily there's an extensive fan-patch that is updated regularly. You can download it from here Just go with the latest patch, it works perfectly with the Steam version and on Windows 7. After applying it (I would recommend the plus version of the patch as it also restores content that Troika didn't have time to implement, making the game even betterer) you'll find an 'extras' folder in your Bloodlines installation folder (XX:\Steam\steamapps\common\vampire the masquerade - bloodlines) which contains a Respatch.exe. With this you can change the resolution to anything you like, it works perfectly at 1920x1200 and 1920x1080

Just so you know how to play it lovely widescreen :)

Yes, always go for the most recent one, it's as simple as that. There just the one fanpatch, although there are obviously older and more recent versions of that one patch available. The most recent one is the best and when we refer to the Blooldines fanpatch, it's that one - there are no others!* It's just an .exe that you can run, if you know how to install any program then you can apply this fanpatch. I don't recall if you had to point towards your Bloodlines installation manually or not, I think not but just case it's here: XX:\Steam\steamapps\common\vampire the masquerade - bloodlines (XX means wherever you installed Steam, I have it on E:\ for example).

It will ask you if you want the basic version or one with all kinds of new extras. Just go with the recommended basic one on your first playthrough if you're not sure. Afterwards go into the 'extras' folder in your Bloodlines installation folder (I'm not spelling it out a third time) and run the respatch.exe to set your desired resolution (to the same one you have your monitor set to of course).

After all that, you play! :D

Also, aren't you a hardcore FFXI nut? How can one navigate the esoteric 'joys' of hardcore Japanese MMO gaming without any problems like a skilled pro but be confused by a simple patch at the same time? :P

*there are others but they aren't patches as such but full-blown mods which drastically change the game. As such, there is only one fanpatch.

Haha! It was all done for me. Hmm, I just got that memory error again.

It's a known problem, one of many, of the unpatched version of the game. The patch should have fixed it. Are you sure you patched it correctly? To the correct folder etc? Are the new folders that the patch adds, like 'extras', present and correct in the Bloodlines folder?

Edit:

No wait, its working! Yay!

:)

I'll try not to ask more stupid questions when I try and get Thief II to work. :P

By all means, asking stupid questions is how I was able to get into PC gaming in the first place! If I hadn't then I wouldn't be able to answer your questions now. Speaking of which, I assume you've spotted my handy guide to get Thief 2 (and the other Thief games) running all nice and pretty? I'm sure people are getting tired of me mentioning it by now, but just to make sure you hadn't missed it! I try to explain the entire patching/modding process step by step, hoping that it turned out to be a useful guide for PC experts and PC noobs alike.

Balls, I've got a spare copy I was about to offer up. So, anyone want Torchlight? I've also got Defense Grid (maybe with some DLC, if I've not used it) and also two copies of The Ship on offer.

I'll take Torchlight if it's still going, I've been mulling over it for a while.

Did you guys all play Dear Esther with the subtitles on? I'm not about to claim it was the finest poetic work this side of Modernism or anything, but I really didn't have a problem with the narration once I turned them off (I did find the subtitles annoying while I had them on for the first five minutes). If you just wander around and let whatever bits of talking happen to make an impression on you stick, then I think it works really well.

Mr Gerbik has since sorted you out but the first time I tried to play Bloodlines it was fresh out of the box....just plain refused to work. I got that error as well.

With the patch though? Runs about as well as Fallout 3/New Vegas. That is to say every so often it will crash out on you (once maybe every second play session) but it's pretty solid otherwise.

Anyone else thinking of playing Vampire, the patch is easy, you run an .exe and it fixes everything for you!

The one problem I had is that the patch instructions say launch the game once before applying it, so I copied some dlls out of the patch bin directory to get it to launch once at least. Not sure I see the point of having to do that, but whatever.