Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

Oh go on then, I'll get Witcher, just because Mr Gerbik has been so helpful today. :D

It's a really great game! If I didn't already have it on the xbox I would definitely be grabbing it in the sale for that price. Same with Risen 2, I'm waiting for the xbox release but was so very tempted to pick it up early.

So, as a Steam Sale Newbie, is now the time for me to grab the Popcap collection as it's not likely to go any cheaper (or any of the individual games aren't likely to drop any further?)

Hoping someone answers this, my will is weakening. :D

Edit: thanks Rev!

Off or on the writing is terrible. Like a D grade GCSE English Lit student writing poetry to his unrequited love. It's such a shame, as the story it has to tell and how it tells it is very intriguing. I'd like to see a mod where the narration is cut out altogether, or redone by someone with literary skill.

See this just annoys me. Everyone moans about terrible writing in video games and, on the whole, they're right. But when a game Like Dear Esther has the temerity to try and rise above this you get armchair critics going off on one about how it's bloody pretentious or lacking in "literary skill".

Guess what? It's subjective. Stop overreacting.

Is Jagged Alliance any good? I have very fond memories of the earlier games.. how does this latest compare. Can't say I've seen any reviews ( which should say it all really).

I would also like to know this, though I haven't played the older games.

Final Damage (Prices from memory):

Alan Wake: American Nightmare £2.50

Bastion £2.50

Beyond Good and Evil (gift from Soodenim)

The Binding of Isacc £1

Bulletstorm £3

CIv 5 £5

Darksiders £5

Plants vs Zombies £1.50

SW:KOTOR £2

SW:TFUII £3.50

Trine 2 £2.50

The Walking Dead £12.50

Vampire TM: Bloodines £3.50

Still to buy

Lego Batman 2 : £13.50

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be!

So far, final games for me are Jagged Alliance:Back In Action, SPAZ and Blades Of Time. Was looking at Mass Effect 1 and 2 but will probably leave that until xmas time as I have no real intention of playing them again just now (and hopefully ME3 will be dirt cheap then too).

I do recommend a cheap game I have on 360 Indies which is also cheap on Steam, game called Solar 2. There's not an awful lot to it, it's very simple and easy to play but I find it very relaxing to put on now and again and it's less than £2 :) Relaxing music too. There's a demo you can give a try on the games Steam page.

http://store.steampo...1_7_suggest__13

Would people recommend playing The Witcher before The Witcher 2?

Hell yes, the story continues in the Witcher 2 straight from the final cutscene of part 1 onwards. Witcher 1 also serves as a far better introduction to the world and its characters, allowing you to enjoy part 2 a lot more. And while Witcher 2 is an absolutely brilliant on its own merits, The Witcher 1 is certainly the better game overall.

I'd like to thank Mr Gerbik. I've been tempted to buy RAGE but every time I've gone to the page there it is, his review warning me, reminding me that there are many other games to play :)

Oh go on then, I'll get Witcher, just because Mr Gerbik has been so helpful today. :D

Prevented a sale and made a sale. Today was a good day.

I'd like to thank Mr Gerbik. I've been tempted to buy RAGE but every time I've gone to the page there it is, his review warning me, reminding me that there are many other games to play :)

Pfft don't be listening to him about the wonderful RAGE, absolutely terrific game and well worth your gameplay time. Some of the best gunplay in any FPS in recent years. I am however surprised it's still quite expensive even on sale though, I've seen it for a tenner in the shops for ages.

Big thanks to tyagi for gifting me Trine 2!

Would people recommend playing The Witcher before The Witcher 2?

Contrary to Mr Gerbik's opinion, I don't think it's at all necessary. For various reasons none of my playthroughs of Witcher 1 got past the back half of Chapter 2, but I didn't find Witcher 2 hard to get into at all.

See this just annoys me. Everyone moans about terrible writing in video games and, on the whole, they're right. But when a game Like Dear Esther has the temerity to try and rise above this you get armchair critics going off on one about how it's bloody pretentious or lacking in "literary skill".

Except he's right, it's as if the writer thinks 'writing' means searching your thesaurus for as many big words as you can find and using all of them. Oddly, the style comes across as a rather over the top parody of Paul Auster or someone like that.

I mean, here's a bit from the start.

I sometimes feel as if I’ve given birth to this island. Somewhere, between the longitude and latitude a split opened up and it beached remotely here. No matter how hard I correlate, it remains a singularity, an alpha point in my life that refuses all hypothesis.
:lol:

Just because it's better than the writing in something like Gears doesn't mean it's not rubbish.

Anyway. RAILWORKS WILL NOT RELEASE ITS HOLD ON ME.

clippa, how are you finding the support/patches for Orion Dino Beatdown ? I'm waiting for a dirt cheap price before I ever pick it up but it looks like they've been working on things/DLC for the future and just wondering what your experience is. It looks like they're putting out dedicated server tools as well.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2825904

My haul:

Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity (bought in error because I mixed it up with Rebllion)

Warlock

Frozen Synapse Red DLC

The Walking Dead

All Microsoft Flight DLC

All Arkham City DLC

DCS Black Shark

DCS Warthog

And I bought Endless Space separate from the sale, but I was going to get that anyway. The sale gave me the push :)

Yours views on this are welcome.. if you actually get around to trying it in the next 24 hours that is :P

:lol:

I'll get it downloading now. No promises as I'm a lazy shit and will probably get distracted by something else knowing me. I've never played a Jagged Alliance game in my life btw so I wouldn't have any opinions about the older ones.

I see that Section 8 Prejudice is going for £2.50 with all the DLC included for that price. I'll be honest, the game's more or less dead for players but you can mess around in games with bots (and your friends) and there's a single player and survival mode as well.

People shouldn't support the scumbag developer of Orion with their money :(.

I understand where you're coming from but reading about things it just seems a bit more complicated than any one person being bad and you don't really know who's telling the truth. That wouldn't effect my purchase of a game anyway, it's an unfortunate reality that developers seem to be treated like shit in many many places. Not saying that makes it right or acceptable but it won't stop me from buying a game I like the look of. (or in this case when it's £2 in Steam Xmas sales :D )

Nothing to do with being a critic, the writing is pretty crucial to the game and it's less enjoyable than I can imagine it being with a simpler spoken narrative. In fact I would have preferred a hackneyed, plain emotive story if it had worked in support of the atmosphere that the graphics, sound and music create.

Pfft don't be listening to him about the wonderful RAGE, absolutely terrific game and well worth your gameplay time. Some of the best gunplay in any FPS in recent years. I am however surprised it's still quite expensive even on sale though, I've seen it for a tenner in the shops for ages.

Well then he's better off getting it in a shop anyways since it's Steamworks! :P

Contrary to Mr Gerbik's opinion, I don't think it's at all necessary. For various reasons none of my playthroughs of Witcher 1 got past the back half of Chapter 2, but I didn't find Witcher 2 hard to get into at all.

I didn't say it was necessary, I said having played the first Witcher makes part 2 a bit easier to get into, and it improves the experience massively if you're already familiar with all the characters and the world they live in. It's not necessary, just like it's not necessary to watch The Godfather before The Godfather 2, but it's really recommended. Also, the first Witcher is even better than the second so why skip it at all?

Nothing to do with being a critic, the writing is pretty crucial to the game and it's less enjoyable than I can imagine it being with a simpler spoken narrative. In fact I would have preferred a hackneyed, plain emotive story if it had worked in support of the atmosphere that the graphics, sound and music create.

I felt that the simplicity of the interaction with the game gives you lots of mental room for deciphering the narrative. For similar reasons I think this is why shallow fiction can work so well in games with deep game mechanics. I enjoyed it, so all this really proves is Plums is right! It's subjective.

I felt that the simplicity of the interaction with the game gives you lots of mental room for deciphering the narrative. For similar reasons I think this is why shallow fiction can work so well in games with deep game mechanics. I enjoyed it, so all this really proves is Plums is right! It's subjective.

Personally I had no interest in deciphering the narrative and felt it's style was to the detriment of the game. I bow out to your superior subjectivity.

Can't believe I missed out on the Civ5 GOTY for under £8 a week or so ago.

Probably being a massive noob but can you set price alerts or something?

I'm learning to stick everything I want on my wish list and checking it whenever I load Steam.

Game Over

Purchases

All Zombies Must Die Bundle - €3,99

Titan Attacks - €1,99

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet - €3,49

The Witcher (Enhanced Edition) - €1,99

Anomaly: Warzone Earth - €2,49

Cave Story+ - €2,49

The Walking Dead - €14,99

Tobe's Vertical Adventure - €1,12

Q.U.B.E. - €3,49

Prince of Persia Complete Pack - €9,99

Binding of Isaac Wrath of the Lamb - €0,74

Edge, Trine 2 - €6,73

Defense Grid: The Awakening and DLC - €3,49

Gifts

Frozen Synapse

Sanctum

Total ​€57,10

Special Thanks to Plums & mr_twig

See you all next year!

I didn't really feel much need to decipher the narrative either - I liked how it was all muddled and half-there and contradictory, because for me it was a game about a man who was all muddled and half-there and sometimes contradictory. On reflection I think I read the style as part of his character.

I also kind of feel like there are enough safe, plainly written "solid" narratives in the world already without taking all the weird ones and removing the personality of the writer from them as well.

Nobody has to bow to anyone else's opinion unless they really want to, though.

I kind of feel like it would be less of a problem for people if it wasn't in such a sparsely populated field - there are so few weird and interesting games that when one comes along then everyone needs it to be exactly the weird and interesting game they always wanted. If there were more then we could just be happy about how weird and interesting all the games were.