Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

Except he's right, it's as if the writer thinks 'writing' means searching your thesaurus for as many big words as you can find and using all of them. Oddly, the style comes across as a rather over the top parody of Paul Auster or someone like that.

What criteria are you judging it on here? It has a distinct style, yes. What's your beef? The whole game is a weird melancholy fantastical dream.

Personally I had no interest in deciphering the narrative and felt it's style was to the detriment of the game. I bow out to your superior subjectivity.

Haha, sorry I was trying to imply that I'm not putting my opinion above yours, it's just a different take which shows the subjective nature of the beast.

Nothing to do with being a critic, the writing is pretty crucial to the game and it's less enjoyable than I can imagine it being with a simpler spoken narrative. In fact I would have preferred a hackneyed, plain emotive story if it had worked in support of the atmosphere that the graphics, sound and music create.

Well, that's fair enough. I personally am glad that it didn't have a hackneyed, plain emotive story/script. I'm a massive supporter of games developers trying to get away from that sort of thing - sure you can judge Dear Esther's writing if you want, at least it tried to do something different.

So, this is the last day, the traditional time to scoop up those bits that didn't show in a daily so what are folk looking at?

For me, Waves (http://store.steampo...1_7_suggest__13) at 70% off. Basically, you can't buy Geom Wars 2 for PC so this is a close approximation. Will probably give that a punt.

Just had a half hour with this and I can slightly reassess my judgement. It's not a 'close approximation' to Geo Wars 2, it's a 'great alternative' to Geo Wars 2. It has the varied game modes and, most importantly, high scores from your Steam Friend's lists are displayed in the top right so you'll always have that high score to chase. I've been playing with a 360 pad and the response is butter smooth (options are there for keyboard / mouse or a mix of controls too).

Admittedly, it still has that new game smell and so I might start finding flaws with it soon, but if this even slightly interests you there's a demo to check out and for the next 18 hours or so it's still 70% off at just over £2.

If anyone does get it, add me as a friend on Steam please, as this kind of game is all about beating the next high score on the friend's league table. (I'm coming for you, Tssk.)

After playing 10 hours of The Witcher today, I had to buy The Witcher 2.

What a sad cunt. :(

Definitely worth it and I'd say if you are enjoying The Witcher try and finish it before giving in to temptation and starting The Witcher 2. It's not super necessary to complete the first one, you can still get in to and follow the second one but it's such a great game and deserves to be played through. :)

Steam Sale Damage:

Puzzle Dimensions

Civ V

Sim City 4

Sideway

Luxor Evolved

Critical Mass

Plus (Gifted by two generous mukkers)

S.P.A.Z

The Witcher

Time to start weening myself off the console and fully back into PC gaming.

Need to find myself a better solution for the keyboard and mouse though. Currently using an old tray from Lucas' old highchair.

I have a question though. I have The Witcher on PC now and The Witcher 2 on 360 (not touched yet), is there a major difference between the 360 and PC versions of the sequel?

See this just annoys me. Everyone moans about terrible writing in video games and, on the whole, they're right. But when a game Like Dear Esther has the temerity to try and rise above this you get armchair critics going off on one about how it's bloody pretentious or lacking in "literary skill".

Guess what? It's subjective. Stop overreacting.

That's absolute rubbish. I applaud Dear Esther's innovation and willingness to try something new. I appreciate the new wave of "non-game-games" like Flower and Journey that put player experience ahead of mechanics. But in the same way I reserve the right to criticise Journey for chickening out of the correct artistic finale to the game I also reserve the right to criticise Dear Esther for its absolutely terrible writing. On a videogame forum there's going to be an element of subjectivity on any post, isn't there? However, Dear Esther from a technical and fairly objective standpoint has extremely weak writing which if it was exposed in any other medium would be tore to pieces. I'm happy that in videogame land we're moving beyond the "put a cursor over something and shoot it till it goes away, then watch a cutscene" level of game design, for sure. Hell, I sing about videogames and videogame culture, I'm about as embedded in the concept of forwarding videogames as an artistic medium as anyone. But in this particular case the writing in Dear Esther damages the game experience - it spoils the narrative - by being pretentious, clumsily written and needlessly vague. I see this as a shame, because I enjoyed the game, I respect what it was trying to do and it made me think after I set the mouse down after the experience was over. It just needed involvement from someone who could actually write. Not someone who thinks they can.

I actually think this is a problem we're going to see more and more of as this type of experience becomes more prevalent. I think it's fairly unique for someone with the visual and technical skills to put together objects as beautiful as Dear Esther and Journey to also have the technical storytelling skills to relay the story they want to tell in a coherent and interesting way. For individual projects this is clearly going to be the case, but even small teams are going to face this. I just hope the fact that games like this are being made attracts in the talent to do the ideas justice in the future.

Have both already on 360, so will be unlikely to double dip (I will keep telling myself that). However will see if the PC can handle 2K13.

Thanks though.

The general lack of NHL and NFL that saddens me a bit on the PC side of things.

Edit: I fully agree with your earlier write up by the way. Basketball is probably my third favourite of the major sports (NHL, Baseball then Basketball) but the RPG side of things is outstanding. Can only imagine how far they take it in the end.

I have a question though. I have The Witcher on PC now and The Witcher 2 on 360 (not touched yet), is there a major difference between the 360 and PC versions of the sequel?

:lol: Well, it's like the difference between GTA3 on the PS2 and Red Dead Redemption on the 360. Make of that what you will. The game itself is the same of course, just a pretty massive difference in graphical quality.

Edit: the save game importing boils down to down to fuck all, so don't do it for that. If the graphics look fine to you on the 360 version, then stick to that version. Do finish the Witcher 1 first though, don't want you skipping the entire first chapter of the storyline and the best game so far in the series.

Thanks, it was the gameplay side of things I wanted to know more about. Not sure how far ahead of the 360 my current setup is.

However I am looking at costs for upgrading over buying a new console when they eventually come round.

Just play the Witcher now and enjoy all dem lovely bargains you have picked up in the current sales. Before you're done we'll already be into the Steam Christmas Sales (oh god) and The Witcher 2 is bound to pop up - maybe even cheaper than in the current sales! I think it's best to wait and decide later on whether you want the PC version or not. Don't let the Steam Sale madness get to you!

Definitely worth it and I'd say if you are enjoying The Witcher try and finish it before giving in to temptation and starting The Witcher 2. It's not super necessary to complete the first one, you can still get in to and follow the second one but it's such a great game and deserves to be played through. :)

Aye, I'll definitely finish The Witcher first. I thought I could hold off until the next steam sale to pick up The Witcher 2 though. Turns out I had no chance of that.

:lol:

I was very good. Didn't pick up anything that'd duplicate anything I owned on the 360.

Going to start The Witcher on Monday, get myself properly stuck in. One of those games I was envious of when it first came out.

Edit: I fully agree with your earlier write up by the way. Basketball is probably my third favourite of the major sports (NHL, Baseball then Basketball) but the RPG side of things is outstanding.

Can you elaborate on the RPG side of things a little please? Sounds interesting.

See this just annoys me. Everyone moans about terrible writing in video games and, on the whole, they're right. But when a game Like Dear Esther has the temerity to try and rise above this you get armchair critics going off on one about how it's bloody pretentious or lacking in "literary skill".

Guess what? It's subjective. Stop overreacting.

I'll tell you what isn't an overreaction though, and that's knocking Dear Esther for the egregious bad spelling in some of its captions. For any game it's lazy; for a game trying to draw you into a loftier frame of mind, it's just about criminal.

I think I am kinda regretting buying Operation Arrowhead, thinking I can link it up with ARMA2 from Green Man Gaming to give me DayZ.

It is not happening :(

Anybody got any experience?

I haven't done it this way myself, but i think it should work. Are you using six updater?

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/28781-how-to-install-full-easy-guide-retail-green-man-gaming-steam/

http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_install_DayZ

Arma II::CO is 40% off now :)

Ended up with quite a weird collection from this sale..

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2

From Dust

Max Payne 3 (ROW)

The Walking Dead

Max Payne Bundle (EU)

Back to the Future: The Game

Payday: The Heist

Alan Wake Bundle (Summer 2012)

Alice Madness Returns

Prince of Persia Complete Pack

RAGE

Just Cause 2

Ys The Oath in Felghana

Ys Origin

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction

Operation Flashpoint: Red River

Fractal

Mad Riders

Splice

Shoot Many Robots

And of those I've only been playing Recettear....sunk a good 22 hours into it already. It's like lovely syrupy anime crack :wub:

[...]

Out of interest, what do you think is the correct 'artistic finale' to Journey?

New flash deal is MW3 £9.99, was £19.99 before so might be a mistake, so if you want it I'd get it now just in case.

They noticed that one quickly, back up to £19.99 now.

Edited by JPR