Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

That's absolute rubbish. I applaud Dear Esther's innovation and willingness to try something new. I appreciate the new wave of "non-game-games" like Flower and Journey that put player experience ahead of mechanics. But in the same way I reserve the right to criticise Journey for chickening out of the correct artistic finale to the game I also reserve the right to criticise Dear Esther for its absolutely terrible writing. On a videogame forum there's going to be an element of subjectivity on any post, isn't there? However, Dear Esther from a technical and fairly objective standpoint has extremely weak writing which if it was exposed in any other medium would be tore to pieces. I'm happy that in videogame land we're moving beyond the "put a cursor over something and shoot it till it goes away, then watch a cutscene" level of game design, for sure. Hell, I sing about videogames and videogame culture, I'm about as embedded in the concept of forwarding videogames as an artistic medium as anyone. But in this particular case the writing in Dear Esther damages the game experience - it spoils the narrative - by being pretentious, clumsily written and needlessly vague. I see this as a shame, because I enjoyed the game, I respect what it was trying to do and it made me think after I set the mouse down after the experience was over. It just needed involvement from someone who could actually write. Not someone who thinks they can.

I actually think this is a problem we're going to see more and more of as this type of experience becomes more prevalent. I think it's fairly unique for someone with the visual and technical skills to put together objects as beautiful as Dear Esther and Journey to also have the technical storytelling skills to relay the story they want to tell in a coherent and interesting way. For individual projects this is clearly going to be the case, but even small teams are going to face this. I just hope the fact that games like this are being made attracts in the talent to do the ideas justice in the future.

Do you fantasise about writing for Edge?

PC Master Race talk inc:

Just got a GTX 560 ti upgrade from my trusty old Radeon HD 5770, tried to take it for a spin with arkham city but surprisingly noticed a massive framerate drop to about 13 fps whereas before it would be around 30 most of the time with 1920x1080 resolution. Any tips for optimising? A quick search to see if there were any issues with the game and graphics card combo turned up nothing :(

What do you have PhysX set to, make sure it's normal. Also might need to check and make sure the GPU is set to handle it, I recall having a problem of my card not doing it when I first upgraded. Think I checked by going into Nvidia control panel, 3D settings and show PhysX visual indicator.

Also do you have it set to use DX11 features? I know they patched it and many people said it was working fine but I still have problems with DX11. Checked it again last weekend when I bought the DLC, but turn them off it and runs perfectly.

Can you elaborate on the RPG side of things a little please? Sounds interesting.

Check the link from Untogether above.

However a quick summary...

Like many other sports games (with a player career) you set up your player.

You then have to play in a showcase game, where the scouts are.

From there you are then entered into a draft.

The teams interested will interview you and see what you want from your career and how you see yourself fitting in etc (your answers here really matter for draft possibilities too)

You are then drafted.

You'll find yourself with limited chances early on (depending on who drafts you) and how you play sees how many more opportunities you'll get.

After games you'll give interviews to the press which will have an affect on team mate chemistry and your popularity to both the local and national markets.

Outside of games you can train (you get a fixed number of training opportunities, but these are also a bit dynamic and spread across a season) or you can buy things, to improve your image, give money to charity, host events etc.

It gets very, very, very deep (the deepest player mode in any sports games to date) and the presentation is out of this world. You are physically seeing all your decisions have an affect. Have a low team-mate chemistry and they won't look for you as much. Perform well, get points, set up plays without making mistakes and you'll see the ball more often. Keep making errors and they will avoid passing to you as much. You can see your game time affected by how you play too.

Getting your first start is an amazing experience and getting the star of the game will fill you with a real sense of pride.

None of it seems forced either, like in the FIFA or NHL versions of this mode, everything feels natural.

NBA 2K11 is a great start if you are looking to dip your toe in the water and you will find yourself addicted to playing.

What do you have PhysX set to, make sure it's normal. Also might need to check and make sure the GPU is set to handle it, I recall having a problem of my card not doing it when I first upgraded. Think I checked by going into Nvidia control panel, 3D settings and show PhysX visual indicator.

Also do you have it set to use DX11 features? I know they patched it and many people said it was working fine but I still have problems with DX11. Checked it again last weekend when I bought the DLC, but turn them off it and runs perfectly.

I've set everything to minimum or off except for vsync (though I did try that with medium settings to no avail) physx is off. 1920x1080. Not sure what's going on. I can't recall the settings it was at for the hd5770 ( a vastly inferior graphics card) but I seem to recall them being set pretty high and it was still playable. I shall try the GPU settings and then call it a night.

How often are these sales?

Summer and Christmas are the big ones, then smaller sales at Halloween and Autumn/Thanksgiving they're usually about 5 days. There's often a Quakecon sale which is id and Bethesda games, Quakecon is August 2nd-5th, so not a long wait to see if it happens.

Just had a half hour with this and I can slightly reassess my judgement. It's not a 'close approximation' to Geo Wars 2, it's a 'great alternative' to Geo Wars 2.

Or maybe even a rip-off of Geometry Wars 2 :) From what I've played, it seems to be a cracking little game though! If anyone picks it up, add me if you want some scores to piss all over (JonnyLaurence on steam).

I kinda thought I had everything I wanted on Steam from previous sales, but it turns out I'm really enjoying replaying console games from a few years ago with flashier graphics and at 60fps, and as a result have bought five games I've played before :doh: I bought this lot:

Bang Bang Racing

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY

Batman: Arkham City + all DLC

Burnout Paradise

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy

Gotham City Imposters + most DLC

Max Payne 3

Mirror's Edge

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Recettear

Red Faction: Guerilla

Shoot Many Robots

SpaceChem

Waves

I refuse to add up the cost.

I now own 281 games on Steam and feel sick.

So far, I think SpaceChem has racked up the most play time. Absolutely brilliant puzzle game I'd not even heard of before this sale.

PC Master Race talk inc:

Just got a GTX 560 ti upgrade from my trusty old Radeon HD 5770, tried to take it for a spin with arkham city but surprisingly noticed a massive framerate drop to about 13 fps whereas before it would be around 30 most of the time with 1920x1080 resolution. Any tips for optimising? A quick search to see if there were any issues with the game and graphics card combo turned up nothing :(

Exact same problem here. I started Arkham City and was playing it with my little cousin but the framerate was fucking awful, we're talking less than 30fps here and almost slow mo. I looked at everything but the only thing that worked for me was reinstalling the graphics drivers. I've been generally quite unlucky with the drivers, so many of them gave me TDRs (where you'd be surfing and then the screen would go black and come back saying 'the driver has recovered') but it's been OK so far with the latest WHQL drivers but I'm still waiting for it to crack up eventually.

Anyway, I installed the drivers and it ran perfectly fine after that :) It may or may not be the same for you but might be worth a go regardless.

Yeah. Civ 5. I hear you're not as good as Civ 4. Yeah. I hear you think you're pretty cool, but you're a let down after 4. So I'll just sit here and give you a quick try, just to prove how crap you are.

[2 hours later]

Yeah. You crap bastard, you...

[2 hours later]

... juuuust one more turn...... just one more turn.....

so should i get the popcap bundle if i have plants, peggle and bejeweled 3?

I bought the bundle back in 2008 before it had those 3. I got a fair amount of play from it. The titles are low rez and in 4:3 aspect but if that doesn't bother you I'd say do it. It's a fair amount of casual gaming for cheaps. Bookworm and Bookworm Adventures are the stars imho.

I think I am kinda regretting buying Operation Arrowhead, thinking I can link it up with ARMA2 from Green Man Gaming to give me DayZ.

It is not happening :(

Anybody got any experience?

May have already been answered but you just need the "Addons" folder from Arma 2 in order to play DayZ - the one with all the .pbz files. Just dump it into the Operation Arrowhead folder then you can uninstall Arma 2.

I'll tell you what isn't an overreaction though, and that's knocking Dear Esther for the egregious bad spelling in some of its captions. For any game it's lazy; for a game trying to draw you into a loftier frame of mind, it's just about criminal.

Thankfully I had captions switched off. For me they spoil immersion in any game.

In case anyone is wondering whether or not Saints Row 3 and 16 DLC packs for £16 is a good idea, yes it is. The game by itself is amazing, the DLC stuff is 'alright'. But as a whole package it's a bargain.

Right, I've bought enough games this sale which I think I'd prefer to play with a controller so I've done some investigating. The PS3 pad works fine via MotionInJoy / XPadder but as far as controllers go, the 360 one is the cream of the crop so I'd rather be using that one. I don't particularly want to buy a new wired one as I already have plenty of wireless controller lying around, where is the best place to pick up a wireless reciever?

I assume that for games which don't natively support it, I will still need to use XPadder ( or similar ) to map my buttons?

My other problem is that I seem to be too 'close' to the games & they start to make me feel a bit funny after I've been playing them for a bit, mainly the first person ones ( ( Borderlands / Stalker, I'm looking at you here ), is there anything I can do about this as one of the reasons I want a pad is so I can move a bit further away from the screen!

My sister's boyfriend (diehard Xbox guy) stood and gawped at RAGE on my PC for about ten minutes yesterday. And then Skyrim, and then Trine 2. And then went and had a long hard look at his savings account :lol:

Right, I've bought enough games this sale which I think I'd prefer to play with a controller so I've done some investigating. The PS3 pad works fine via MotionInJoy / XPadder but as far as controllers go, the 360 one is the cream of the crop so I'd rather be using that one. I don't particularly want to buy a new wired one as I already have plenty of wireless controller lying around, where is the best place to pick up a wireless reciever?

I got my wireless receiver from Amazon. I think it was around £13 for the official one.

You can get non official ones for about £10.