Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

The PS3 pad works fine via MotionInJoy / XPadder but as far as controllers go, the 360 one is the cream of the crop so I'd rather be using that one. I don't particularly want to buy a new wired one as I already have plenty of wireless controller lying around, where is the best place to pick up a wireless reciever?

The seller gamesbite is flogging official ones for 9.99 delivered on ebay, thats where I got mine. Works fine, handily also works nicely with the mic in Steam as well.

I assume that for games which don't natively support it, I will still need to use XPadder ( or similar ) to map my buttons?

Yeah, although I've not encountered any yet.

Think I read somewhere about some last minute blowout deals. For me the best purchase in the sale has been dead island, it's a lot of fun and works great even on low end machines and there is something about throwing machetes at zombies that is great fun.

I picked up one of the need for speed games and nearly destroyed my keyboard trying to skip the introductory cut scenes, game isn't too bad though.

Cue playing all your favourite console games of the last five years again in crisp omg detail!! Then you discover pcsx2 and dolphin. Then you wonder why you waited so long. Then you are truly in <3

This in particular. Yes I've bought a few games I already own on PS3 (Skrim, Mirrors Edge, Dragon Age, The Dead Spaces) but they genuinely do feel like completely different games. Skyrim in particular is gob smacking I want to live there.

This might be a really silly question, so apologies in advance.

If I want to use the 360 pad for some if these action games (e.g. Darksiders) I just plug it in the USB slot using the play and charge cable, right?

This might be a really silly question, so apologies in advance.

If I want to use the 360 pad for some if these action games (e.g. Darksiders) I just plug it in the USB slot using the play and charge cable, right?

You need one of these for wireless 360 controllers. The P&C cable only carries power, not data. Wired controllers work on both without additional hardware though.

This in particular. Yes I've bought a few games I already own on PS3 (Skrim, Mirrors Edge, Dragon Age, The Dead Spaces) but they genuinely do feel like completely different games. Skyrim in particular is gob smacking I want to live there.

Then you start feeling genuine loss that Rockstar never ported Red Dead Redemption to PC :(

I won't bore you with the details :D

Stalker - http://stalker.filef...Switcher;107299

Borderlands - http://dl.dropbox.co...ed Settings.zip

I know it's not what you want to hear but I love wired pads, they're lighter, you don't have to charge them, there's lots of room for your fingers at the back and there's less input lag. Unless you're sat miles away, I'd consider picking one up - http://www.amazon.co...43039967&sr=8-1

Thanks, downloading them now.

What kind of value do I need to set the FOV to to make it similar to consoles, or does it vary from person to person?

I know it's not what you want to hear but I love wired pads, they're lighter, you don't have to charge them, there's lots of room for your fingers at the back and there's less input lag. Unless you're sat miles away, I'd consider picking one up - http://www.amazon.co...43039967&sr=8-1

Aye, I'd agree entirely with this. Wired pads are definitely the way forward for PC use.

I don't really care about input lag, but it certainly suffers less from flaky connections (which, when your wireless adapter is behind the great big Faraday cage that is a PC, surrounded by cabling, electronics and other wireless devices, is an issue), benefits from not having any reliance on batteries and suffers nothing for having a cable due to the lack of distance from the PC.

What kind of value do I need to set the FOV to to make it similar to consoles, or does it vary from person to person?

No, the closer you sit to your screen, the wider you need your FOV to be if you want to prevent feeling ill (or to prevent it from looking weirdly zoomed in). Those tweaks clippa gave you make the FOV wider than the narrow default setting which is a lazy leftover from the console version.

What would you guys (masters of the format) suggest for resting a keyboard and mouse on when playing from a gaming chair?

My table is in too awkward a position to sit there (puts me at a funny angle to the TV) and the sofa is too far back.

I will eventually get a monitor to put on the table, but for now it isn't an option.

I can either pull out a dining chair and put that infront of the TV or I have my gaming chair, which I would imagine wouldn't give me the best seating position for a KB&M

Wireless pads are fine for PC use. I use a wireless 360 pad (with a dedicated PC adapter, of course) and it works like a dream as long as I keep it batteried up. :P

I used a wireless when I first built my PC for a year or so, then picked up a wired when I gave my 360 to my mum. I notice no difference whatsoever to be honest.

Good stuff, I have ordered my adaptor from Ebay! :)

What would you guys (masters of the format) suggest for resting a keyboard and mouse on when playing from a gaming chair?

My table is in too awkward a position to sit there (puts me at a funny angle to the TV) and the sofa is too far back.

I will eventually get a monitor to put on the table, but for now it isn't an option.

I can either pull out a dining chair and put that infront of the TV or I have my gaming chair, which I would imagine wouldn't give me the best seating position for a KB&M

I bought a Dave from Ikea recently, mainly for using my pc on my new sofa when I get it but it works surprisingly well with my gaming chair.

Check the link from Untogether above.

However a quick summary...

Like many other sports games (with a player career) you set up your player.

You then have to play in a showcase game, where the scouts are.

From there you are then entered into a draft.

The teams interested will interview you and see what you want from your career and how you see yourself fitting in etc (your answers here really matter for draft possibilities too)

You are then drafted.

You'll find yourself with limited chances early on (depending on who drafts you) and how you play sees how many more opportunities you'll get.

After games you'll give interviews to the press which will have an affect on team mate chemistry and your popularity to both the local and national markets.

Outside of games you can train (you get a fixed number of training opportunities, but these are also a bit dynamic and spread across a season) or you can buy things, to improve your image, give money to charity, host events etc.

It gets very, very, very deep (the deepest player mode in any sports games to date) and the presentation is out of this world. You are physically seeing all your decisions have an affect. Have a low team-mate chemistry and they won't look for you as much. Perform well, get points, set up plays without making mistakes and you'll see the ball more often. Keep making errors and they will avoid passing to you as much. You can see your game time affected by how you play too.

Getting your first start is an amazing experience and getting the star of the game will fill you with a real sense of pride.

None of it seems forced either, like in the FIFA or NHL versions of this mode, everything feels natural.

NBA 2K11 is a great start if you are looking to dip your toe in the water and you will find yourself addicted to playing.

That sounds brilliant, thanks. And I'd told myself that I'd spent enough for one sale.

It seems NBA 2K12 is actually £2.50 cheaper than 2K11 at the moment too.

That sounds brilliant, thanks. And I'd told myself that I'd spent enough for one sale.

It seems NBA 2K12 is actually £2.50 cheaper than 2K11 at the moment too.

Then it is a no brainer. To be honest, unless your really care about the sport, then 2K12 may well last you a couple of years anyway.

Then it is a no brainer. To be honest, unless your really care about the sport, then 2K12 may well last you a couple of years anyway.

I assume the PC version all works nicely, smoother etc?

You're very much on the road to convincing me here...

Ok, the final list. Nothing else will tempt me today, I don't think.

1000 Amps,

Amnesia: The Dark Descent,

Anomaly Warzone Earth,

Ben There, Dan That!,

BioShock 2,

BIT.TRIP BEAT Original Soundtrack,

BIT.TRIP BEAT,

BIT.TRIP RUNNER Original Soundtrack,

BIT.TRIP RUNNER,

Borderlands DLC: Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot,

Borderlands DLC: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx,

Borderlands DLC: Claptrap’s New Robot Revolution,

Borderlands DLC: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned,

Borderlands,

Botanicula,

Bulletstorm,

Cave Story+,

Company of Heroes,

Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts,

Costume Quest,

Stacking,

Bastion,

Darksiders,

Dead Island,

Dead Space 2,

Dear Esther,

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey,

Dungeons of Dredmor,

Eversion,

Fallout New Vegas CaravanPack,

Fallout New Vegas ClassicPack,

Fallout New Vegas Old World Blues,

Fallout New Vegas TribalPack,

Fallout New Vegas: Courier's Stash,

Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money,

Fallout New Vegas: Gun Runners' Arsenal,

Fallout New Vegas: Honest Hearts,

Fallout New Vegas: Lonesome Road DLC,

Fallout: New Vegas,

GECK - New Vegas Edition,

Grand Theft Auto 2,

Grand Theft Auto III,

Grand Theft Auto IV,

Grand Theft Auto,

Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City,

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas,

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City,

Gravitron 2,

Half-Life 2: Episode Two.

Half-Life 3,

Homefront,

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet,

Just Cause 2,

Just Cause 2: Chaos Parachute DLC,

Just Cause 2: Chevalier Ice Breaker DLC,

Just Cause 2: Tuk Tuk Boom Boom DLC,

Lume,

Machinarium Soundtrack,

Machinarium,

Metro 2033,

Mutant Storm Reloaded,

Napoleon: Total War - Imperial Guard Pack,

Napoleon: Total War,

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit,

Nexuiz.

Noitu Love 2 Devolution,

Offspring Fling!,

PAYDAY: The Heist,

PixelJunk Eden,

Plants vs. Zombies: Game of the Year,

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands,

Psychonauts,

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat,

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl,

Saints Row: The Third,

Samorost 2,

Sid Meier's Civilization IV,

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword,

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization,

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Warlords,

Solar 2,

Space Pirates and Zombies,

Super Meat Boy,

The Binding Of Isaac - Wrath of the Lamb,

The Longest Journey,

The Witcher: Director's Cut DLC,

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition,

Time Gentlemen, Please!,

Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers,

Titan Quest,

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne,

Trine 2,

Trine,

Universe Sandbox,

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines,

VVVVVV,

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine,

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II -Retribution - Campaign DLC,

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II -Retribution - Last Stand DLC,

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II -Retribution - Multiplayer DLC,

Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II -Chaos Rising™,

Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II –Retribution™,

Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II,

Windosill,

Zeno Clash,

Just over a hundred 'items'. £159 quid. Sheesh. Still, 1.60 per item ain't too bad is it?

<crawls back into cardboard box>