Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

(edit: @ clippa) I think we agree... but you're formulating it more in a glass half empty kinda way:

-`99.9% of all the games have SHIT stories, so fuck story!´

vs

-'just look at these here games that have great stories unlike most other games, how wonderful!'

As long as you're not arguing that there aren't any exceptions, then we agree. As far as 'not playing games for a good story' goes... well, RPG is my favourite genre (along with stealth games) and I love how immersive the best examples in this genre can be. And the most immersive games in this genre, the ones with the most enjoyable exploration, are also the ones with great stories, setting and characters because for RPG's that adds at least as much - if not more - as the pure gameplay mechanics. So while it's true that I don't play games for the story as you say, a good story and/or setting does wonders for my enjoyment of my favourite genre.

Da:o is awesome on pc. Got all the dlc. Characters were excellent as was story. I loved it. Best rpg ever (I've played all the baldurs gates, never winter etc). I used to deliberately take the long route everywhere in te hope of eating more conversations between the characters. Morrison winding alistair up was superb.

How easy is it to run the steamwork mods for Skrim? I've just seen there's a high resolution texture pack and loads of cool little things like a tree house, but don't want to download them if I have to start opening files around the back end etc.

How easy is it to run the steamwork mods for Skrim? I've just seen there's a high resolution texture pack and loads of cool little things like a tree house, but don't want to download them if I have to start opening files around the back end etc.

Hit subscribe and that's it, they'll be installed the next time you launch the game, don't need to do anything else to get them to work.

I can't remember if it was in this thread or another but recall someone posted a great collection of mods, think it might have been Morrius U, can't find it but hopefully someone remembers it.

I think I might have a problem, I'm supposed to be on holiday yet here I am checking the Steam thread on a flaky wifi, in my defence after travelling most of the day I can't be bothered to do much else. :lol:

Yeah, the Steam Workshop is a thing of beauty, especially compared to some of the hoops I had to jump through to mod Oblivion. Hell, this method even checks to see if it's the latest version of the mod you have installed. Couldn't be easier.

(And definitely get that high res texture pack if nothing else, makes a great difference to the game.)

Thought I'd ask this here: can anyone recommend a wireless mouse and keyboard for a sweet big screen TV sofa setup, or are they all much the same?

If it makes a difference, the PC's about 12 ft away, tucked into an aesthetically-pleasing corner. Tried a bog standard Logitech mouse and it wouldn't recognise it at that distance. Although, worst case scenario, if nothing works that far away, I could buy some kind of USB extender lead.

Has anyone played Endless Space? I think it looks fantastic but it wasnt in the sale :(

I put 16 hours into it over the weekend. It's basically Civ 4/5 mashed together with Master of Orion 2, so if you remotely like either of those it's a good bet.

Thought I'd ask this here: can anyone recommend a wireless mouse and keyboard for a sweet big screen TV sofa setup, or are they all much the same?

If it makes a difference, the PC's about 12 ft away, tucked into an aesthetically-pleasing corner. Tried a bog standard Logitech mouse and it wouldn't recognise it at that distance. Although, worst case scenario, if nothing works that far away, I could buy some kind of USB extender lead.

I would like to know this too. I had a logitech wireless combo years ago and thought it was shit.

I have a wireless keyboard, but if there was a wired equivalent of it (HP Wireless Elite) I would buy it in an instant - the occasional glitch when the signal wavers is all-too-often lethal when gaming, plus the need to have spare batteries is a pain. I can only imagine the flakiness would increase tenfold (assuming it worked at all) at twelve feet away from the PC, rather than the current half-metre.

I have the R.A.T. 9 wireless mouse. It's very nice but I couldn't recommend it at the prices they usually go for (£90). You get swappable lithium batteries so you don't have to buy AA's or whatever, but the batteries run out in just a few hours, and it does glitch every now and again.

Microsoft Intellimouse from 2003 are still the kings.

I set my mum up with a PC-connected-to-the-tv. Worst part of the whole thing was the wireless mouse. Heavy, unresponsive and infuriating to use. I think one of those Apple magic trackpads might be the best method for most things one would do with a PC in that kind of setup (I think they work on Windows with some unofficial drivers?)... but certainly no use for games.

Unless they've come on leaps and bounds, wireless mice are heavy, laggy and inconsistent. I'd be running extensions if I were you. You could maybe get away with a wireless keyboard though I'd imagine.

Is it for gaming or just for when you have to use it on the OS and menus and stuff and you're mainly playing with a pad?

I'd mostly use it for the latter, although I'd like the option for both, ideally.

I can't believe in these days of wireless pads and Wiimote Pluses nobody can put together a decent wireless keyboard and mouse combo. Surely the tech is there. If Valve plan to launch their so-called big screen TV mode something like this would surely be essential.

I use a wireless mouse and keyboard because I currently don't use a desk setup and it makes wires impractical. Whilst I would probably return to wired in the future, it would mostly be because I still perceive them to perform better despite the fact that I can't say I've ever had an issue with my wireless set up. Even when I was using a cheap Microsoft Wireless 800 set that I bought for £20 between keyboards it still worked really well.

My mouse isn't particularly heavy either, which seems to be a common complaint. Basically the weight of a regular mouse plus some AA batteries. I do remember the first ever wireless mouse I owned however, which was some years ago now, and it was quite a large and unwieldy device. Fortunately that isn't the rule anymore.

I use a wireless mouse and keyboard because I currently don't use a desk setup and it makes wires impractical. Whilst I would probably return to wired in the future, it would mostly be because I still perceive them to perform better despite the fact that I can't say I've ever had an issue with my wireless set up. Even when I was using a cheap Microsoft Wireless 800 set that I bought for £20 between keyboards it still worked really well.

My mouse isn't particularly heavy either, which seems to be a common complaint. Basically the weight of a regular mouse plus some AA batteries. I do remember the first ever wireless mouse I owned however, which was some years ago now, and it was quite a large and unwieldy device. Fortunately that isn't the rule anymore.

So what do you use now then?

July Indie Royale bundle now up:

Geneforge Saga

This is a 5-part isometric point-and-click Adventure/RPG by Spiderweb Software, available for Mac and PC with very low system requirements. You can get a good overview here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneforge_(series). Expect basic graphics, but very good writing, plot, and characters. The series got very good reviews at the time and still retails for much more than the bundle, so it's a no-brainer if you like this type of game.

This series is by the same guy who made the Avernum series, and more recently, Avadon: The Black Fortress (which is on Steam).

Wired keyboard (Corsair K60) with either a wireless (Logitech MX Revolution) or wired (one of the Logitech COD ones) mouse depending on what I feel like.

For UI control and passwords when I'm using the computer on the TV I use one of these:

51y77Iky5VL.jpg

Bluetooth so it's got decent range, it's rechargeable and doubles as a trackpad. It's also got a laser pointer in it!