Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

Yeah okay, I've read a bit more now about the conditions of the GPL and I can understand why some people are a bit narked. It's worth noting that id went some way to rectifying the situation with a hasty update, leaving only the inclusion of the original version still to come. I think its pretty clear that there was no intent to break the license, especially seeing as the problems are so easy to fix, so responses like "Fuck 'em, no way I'm buying any games from Steam in a while" seem just a little extreme. :(

EDIT: Copyright infringement is most definitely not the same as piracy. There are goodness knows how many Star Wars and Star Trek game mods freely available on the internet, none of which have any right to use the license, but you couldn't call any of those pirated games!

Well, not really.

There's two multimillion-dollar companies who have seemingly decided to ignore an extremely popular and widespread licence by making money off of someone elses work while not following the few terms and conditions imposed. I feel very strongly about it.

It's also a bit of a joke that they didn't do a proper port, and instead created a half-arsed DosBox implementation anyway, ignoring all license problems. Why are they using Dosbox and not Doom95 for example? The fact I can illegally download a better version than the one offered in 2 minutes puts me off more than a bit. It's a bit half-arsed in every way, really.

Well, not really.

There's two multimillion-dollar companies who have seemingly decided to ignore an extremely popular and widespread licence by making money off of someone elses work while not following the few terms and conditions imposed. I feel very strongly about it.

It's also a bit of a joke that they didn't do a proper port, and instead created a half-arsed DosBox implementation anyway, ignoring all license problems. Why are they using Dosbox and not Doom95 for example? The fact I can illegally download a better version than the one offered in 2 minutes puts me off more than a bit. It's a half-arsed port in every way, really.

They're not really making money out of Dosbox though are they? Those games would cost the same (not very much, especially as part of the complete pack) with or without Dosbox. I just use jDoom anyway, so I don't need to touch Dosbox to play the games.

Like I said as well, it looks to me like whoever managed the release was not aware of the terms of the GPL, or just missunderstood them. The first update has already rectified most of the infringements.

They're not really making money out of Dosbox though are they? Those games would cost the same (not very much, especially as part of the complete pack) with or without Dosbox. I just use jDoom anyway, so I don't need to touch Dosbox to play the games.

Like I said as well, it looks to me like whoever managed the release was not aware of the terms of the GPL, or just missunderstood them. The first update has already rectified most of the infringements.

Riddle me this: How would the games run without Dosbox? Do you really think all the people buying would happily purchase a non-working Commander Keen, for example, for the same price as one working emulated through Dosbox? Of course they're making money from it, and indeed trying to /save/ money by using free software rather than doing a proper/good porting job. The least they can do is follow the licence, and they haven't even done that.

And I think the two large companies should be aware of what they're doing, and it's unacceptable for them to violate the GPL in this way. It's all well and good saying they weren't aware, but if they had accidentally released something with illegal commercial software inside then I don't doubt most people would find it unacceptable, even if they later claimed they didn't know the licence. How should it be different for F/OSS?

Hold on, who says they pirated DosBox rather than licencing it? Is this just hearsay at this point?

The DosBox forum moderators say they've broken the GPL and the developers knew nothing about it beforehand. So it's not hearsay.

AFAIK they don't need to if they haven't changed anything. Link to the DOSBOX website'll sort that out.

I'd expect them to host it somewhere on their own site in the next couple of days. The whole thing looks more like oversight than anything malicious. Especially coming from id software, they've done a lot for the oss community..

AFAIK they don't need to if they haven't changed anything. Link to the DOSBOX website'll sort that out.

You're wrong.

Any other people wish to say I'm wrong before I go to bed?

Pretty much a summary of your posts in this thread. Grossly dis-proportionate outrage.

So I'm not allowed to get a bit pissy and then reply when people don't think I should be allowed to be a bit pissy? I don't like people violating the GPL, let alone big companies. It annoys me.

Or are you talking about trying to correct people who don't understand the GPL?

Aie, this unforgiving 'jihad' attitude towards GPL breaches doesn't do anything to help the OSS community. You have to give people reasonable chance or time to correct their mistakes.

If you tell them of the problem and they do nothing for months, then you should go crazy with them.

To be honest... Who actually gives a flying fuck about this DosBox pish? (Rhetorical question.... I don't)

What it boils down to, is that there's currently 22 iD games on Steam for the princely sum of £35.

TEH BARGAIN!!!

Aie, this unforgiving 'jihad' attitude towards GPL breaches doesn't do anything to help the OSS community. You have to give people reasonable chance or time to correct their mistakes.

I'm not unforgiving, I just think it's wrong, and until they've corrected their mistake they should rightly be criticised for it, and I'm sure it won't get fixed half as fast if people don't kick up a stink. And perhaps if people treat GPL violators badly and with the contempt they deserve, then perhaps it'll discourage companies from doing it in the first place?

Calm down Halo. That's a massive overreaction. It was only just brought to their attention and they are rectifying it quickly.

I find it funny that people think I'm overreacting as if I'm getting all emotionally involved and wound up. :(

Anyway, I'm going to bed now, because tomorrow I have to get up early and dig out my copies of Hexen and Heretic for a symbolic burning.