Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

I find it funny that people think I'm overreacting as if I'm getting all emotionally involved and wound up. <_<

errr

which halo wrote this then?

It's an utter disgrace that Valve and ID think it's acceptable to violate the GPL and pirate DosBox as they've done. Fuck 'em, no way I'm buying any games from Steam in a while.

I'm more fucked off that x-com:TFTD runs in about 25% stretchovisoin on my screen. Surely it can't just be me. Arses.

I was wondering...

I have Civ4 on shiny disc and having to have disc in the drive when playing is annoying.

If I bought an expansion on Steam, could I start the game from Steam without the Civ4 disc being in the drive?

I was wondering...

I have Civ4 on shiny disc and having to have disc in the drive when playing is annoying.

If I bought an expansion on Steam, could I start the game from Steam without the Civ4 disc being in the drive?

Possibly. Civ 4 (disc-version) works with Beyond The Sword (Steam version). And if you happen to have both versions on disc, you'd need to use the original disc to play vanilla Civ 4 and the expansion disc to play the expansion - so, given that Steam doesn't require discs, logically you shouldn't need your original disc in to play your Steam expansion.

But I haven't tried it, so I'm probably talking notice.

I was wondering...

Just register the existing games cd key in steam and you should be able to yeah.

Painkiller appears to have dropped to $9.95 until August 14th. Might have to get me some of that.

Careful, I saw the price of Day of Defeat was only $10 and had fond memories of it from years back. I spent about five minutes playing it and every second was spent yearning for Call of Duty instead. The game just felt a little clunky and didn;'t seem to know where it stood in terms of realism/pace. Naive of me really as the quick purchasing and frequent price fluctuations of Steam make for many impulse buys that often aren't really worth it.

Careful, I saw the price of Day of Defeat was only $10 and had fond memories of it from years back. I spent about five minutes playing it and every second was spent yearning for Call of Duty instead. The game just felt a little clunky and didn;'t seem to know where it stood in terms of realism/pace. Naive of me really as the quick purchasing and frequent price fluctuations of Steam make for many impulse buys that often aren't really worth it.

Day of Defeat Source is my favourite game on Steam. I played the 'original' add on for HL1 10 years ago and loved it and was initially confused with the new source version as it was hard as nails to hit anything and to do something useful for the team. After a while I stuck with playing on one server only and got to know the people playing on it regularly. After a while we had some nice teams set up and the game really proved to be one of the best team based shooters I've ever played. It has far more teamwork and strategy elements than, say, Counter Strike but the action can be just as intense. Add really nice graphics and the best gun sounds in any game ever and the game has rightfully deserved the spot under "My Favourite Game" on my Steam Communities profile.

Painkiller is meant to be a rather nifty no-nonsence shooter though, well worth £10 let alone £5! I've decided not to get it though, seeing as I've just bought id's back-catalogue of shooters and all.

Just register the existing games cd key in steam and you should be able to yeah.

I'm doing this with Prey at the moment and even though the game was already installed, Steam wants to download the full 1.5 GBs worth of content over the internet. Frustrating!

Edit - I thought Medieval 2: Total War was on Steam but I can only find the demo when I search. Can anyone shed some light?

I love it. I only wish I could transfer some games from one account to another as I've got duplicates. I could give away the spare or whatever. Thats the only thing I don't like about it.

Why do you have more than one account?

I'm doing this with Prey at the moment and even though the game was already installed, Steam wants to download the full 1.5 GBs worth of content over the internet. Frustrating!

Edit - I thought Medieval 2: Total War was on Steam but I can only find the demo when I search. Can anyone shed some light?

Medieval II is there, but only if you live in the US I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...
With the 'Activate a game on Steam' option, what are my options? Is it just Valve games that can be installed?

So I could register my copy of Half-Life (the original) but not Company of Heroes which is available on Steam.

Pretty much yeah.

I added Prey using the CD key. May work with other games, but it will mean you'll have to download and install it in steam even if you've already installed it.

btw, Bioshock is available to pre-order/pre-downloading but it works out as several pounds more expensive than getting it on Amazon or Play.com.

I added Prey using the CD key. May work with other games, but it will mean you'll have to download and install it in steam even if you've already installed it.

btw, Bioshock is available to pre-order/pre-downloading but it works out as several pounds more expensive than getting it on Amazon or Play.com.

but the beauty of Steam is that it's available forever! On demand. Get a new PC, load up Steam and BAM! in the face. I don't mind un-installing and re-installing Company of Heroes if only it would take my key.

I'm going to try Sam & Max.

Hmmm discovered this on the Telltale forum

Hi guys,

I asked around about this, and as I understand it, games purchased outside of Steam that can then be activated through Steam are games that use their copy protection for the boxed version. This is not the case with Sam & Max. Our systems are completely separate and it's not possible to activate a Sam & Max purchase that you made through Telltale (or GameTap / retail / another channel) on Steam, or vice versa. Sorry.

Is that right? Does Prey use the same copy protection system as Valve games?

Does Prey use the same copy protection system as Valve games?

Prey is the exception to the rule - it was originally streamed through an online service similar to Steam that went bankrupt, so the developers reached a deal with Valve so the keys would work on Steam so that people wouldn't be left without the game.

• 3 months later...

I loaded Steam up today and was met with the news that Sega Rally Revo was available, but if you try to browse the game it's as if it's not there.

Did the work experience boy accidentally release it or is it just me?

Last time I checked you couldn't buy Sega games if you lived in Europe. Annoying as they had Outrun 2006 on there at an amazing price and you can never have enough Outrun.

Ah, that's probably it then.

Jeeesus, what a licensing farce Steam is sometimes.