Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

• 8 months later...

Ace!

Me and a friend spent a day trying to complete Abe's Exoddus a few months back on the PSone, sans memory card - unfortunately had to give up at four in the morning having gotten incredibly close to the end. Maybe we can have another go, albeit with the ability to save. Might play through Oddysey, too: my friend's never played it!

WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE!

Abe's Oddysse and Abe's Exodus are available on steam now! They look rough as fuck but they're optimised for XP so they run at last \o/ fucking hard, mind.

You've downloaded them, then? Do they really look so bad? ^_^

You've downloaded them, then? Do they really look so bad? ^_^

Like Uzi and tssk have said the cinematics are grainy, but the in game graphics are what you'd expect a 10 year old PS1 game to look like on a monitor. It'd be more of a problem if they weren't Oddworld games, but you kinda forgive them because they're so damn ace.

• 2 months later...

I just noticed that with Football Manager 2009, it has "3rd Party DRM: Uniloc, 5 machine activation limit". Is this new?

I haven't seen it before and to me it just seems insanely stupid on so many levels. I bet now that Valve have opened the flood-gates more people will add their stupid DRM scheme on top of Steam's. I mean, surely the core advantage to Steam over buying a physical copy is the unlimited redownloads?

I imagine that their hands were tied by the game's original publisher. It sounds like it's something which is built into FM2009 itself and which they therefore can't get around, in much the same way that some Steam titles have Punkbuster built into them in spite of Valve Anticheat being integrated with Steam.

It sounds like it's something which is built into FM2009 itself and which they therefore can't get around

I don't buy it - surely it works via a key which Steam doesn't provide anyhow?

Valve could have refused to put it on Steam on principle. Not necessarily the best short-term commercial decision, but it would have kept all games on their platform working similarly rather than bowing to the demands of publishers (similar how Apple restrict what publishers can do on ITMS).

• 1 month later...

EA have now joined Steam, probably the last major publisher to do so, but only for North America so far:

Just in time for the holidays, Valve announced that, Spore™, Spore Creepy & Cute Parts Pack, Warhammer® Online: Age of Reckoning™, Mass Effect®, Need for Speed™ Undercover and EA SPORTS FIFA Manager 2009 are available now to gamers in North America via Steam, a leading platform for PC games and digital content with over 15 million accounts around the world.

In the coming weeks, Mirror's Edge™ , Command & Conquer™ Red Alert™ 3, and Dead Space™ will also be added to the catalog of EA's titles available via Steam.

Looks like they're also planning to roll it out worldwide soon:

"We are pleased to extend our holiday titles to gamers worldwide via Steam -- a revolutionary technology that is one of the game industry's most successful digital distribution services," said John Pleasants, President, Global Publishing & Chief Operating Officer.

Apparently Spore on the Steam version does not have the SecuROM nonsense either. Not sure what the prices are like though.

Edit: Apparently Spore is $50 on Steam, so hardly cheap.

Is there anyway of getting a refund off Steam? I'm in a bit of an unusual predicament in that having tried to Yarr FM2009 and finding it only partially worked (its perfectly until it comes to actual matches, at which point it crashes every time), I'm now thinking that was maybe because the crack didn't quite work, and if I get the real thing off Steam it might be able to sort me out? But what if I get the same problem, have I just pissed £30 down the drain?

Can you buy a "Games for Windows" game via Steam and use it normally with all the GFW achievements / matchmaking etc. or do Steam versions have all that stripped out?

I believe Fallout 3 on Steam has GFW achievements on Steam but I can't check right now as my computer got friend a month ago :)

Steam have made local pricing mandatory now - i.e. you can't buy games in US dollars if you live outside the US. This wouldn't be so bad if they understood exchange rates, though - $6+VAT (about £4.70) for Audiosurf just became £6. Half-Life Complete just went from $26.99+VAT (£21.15) to £26.99. That's about a 1/3 markup! Thanks, Valve!

This wouldn't be so bad if they understood exchange rates, though - $6+VAT (about £4.70) for Audiosurf just became £6. Half-Life Complete just went from $26.99+VAT (£21.15) to £26.99. That's about a 1/3 markup! Thanks, Valve!

Wahey! ripping off Europe for games finally enters the brave new digital world of downloads :blink:

Plus ça change.

Steam have made local pricing mandatory now - i.e. you can't buy games in US dollars if you live outside the US. This wouldn't be so bad if they understood exchange rates, though - $6+VAT (about £4.70) for Audiosurf just became £6. Half-Life Complete just went from $26.99+VAT (£21.15) to £26.99. That's about a 1/3 markup! Thanks, Valve!

It's very shitty. I think it's balls that you pay the same for a digital download as you do for a boxed copy. Surely there should be some (even a slight) markdown for lack of printing costs.

Yeah 'cos I suppose the infrastructure is free, isn't it? Can you buy a boxed Audiosurf? Not everything is priced as a previous poster shows.

Yes, you can actually. Stop being facetious.

And reading the other thread we're not as shafted as Europe, so it's not as bad as I though. Poor old underinformed me.

Have EA lost the chuffing plot? £40 for a download version of Spore? (and I assume once they pull their fingers out & put it on Steam for the UK it'll be the same if it's $50) ... I can get the retail for £25!!

No wonder their business is in the toilet.

I imagine that their hands were tied by the game's original publisher. It sounds like it's something which is built into FM2009 itself and which they therefore can't get around, in much the same way that some Steam titles have Punkbuster built into them in spite of Valve Anticheat being integrated with Steam.

It's a bit different. Unless a copy protection scheme is very tightly integrated with the game (like, I dunno, Codemasters' FADE or something), it's pretty much up to the publisher's discretion whether they include it in versions supplied to digital distributors. Sega in lazy and/or stupid shock.

Whereas Punkbuster and Valve's anticheat thing presumably work differently, so would require some reimplementation. And also it would be no good if you wanted to play on Punkbuster enabled servers.