Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

I enjoyed it, combat was pretty good, story was fine and in it's favour it's trying something different with it's setting. More sci-fi RPGs would be welcome, I do like my kobolds but it's good to go somewhere different from time to time. I seem to recall some of the script and voice acting was still pretty bad even after they redid it.

I think if it takes your fancy at that price it's worth a gamble.

Every PC is glorious in its own special way Alex. You have Steam running on it, have you not? Well there you go. Glorious.

Glorious Mid-2010 Budget Processor Master Race. I honestly have no clue where I'm going to go once the mileage runs out on an honest-to-god £60 CPU, mind. It's hard to justify anything costing more!

Speaking of cost, here's how much Magicka w/ DLC, Serious Sam 3 and Garry's Mod is to any RLLMUK Steam folk who quotes this post: NOTHING. I've got a spare of each.

Glorious Mid-2010 Budget Processor Master Race. I honestly have no clue where I'm going to go once the mileage runs out on an honest-to-god £60 CPU, mind. It's hard to justify anything costing more!

My computer has gotten too old to play any real PC games. I've been hoovering up all the 2D indie games in Steam sales, which is nice, but I have to ignore all the proper modern games.

I have a fairly budget CPU from 2009: Core 2 Duo E8500. Graphics card is old too (GTX550Ti), but the CPU is definitely the bottleneck now. Since I've never really cared about belonging to the Master Race, I have no education about what the good CPUs are at the moment. If I wanted to buy a new computer from a regular retailer for a fairly budget/resonable price, what CPU would I be looking for?

OMG could I please have Serious Sam 3?

Deal. Check your PMs after I finish this post!

My computer has gotten too old to play any real PC games. I've been hoovering up all the 2D indie games in Steam sales, which is nice, but I have to ignore all the proper modern games.

I have a fairly budget CPU from 2009: Core 2 Duo E8500. Graphics card is old too (GTX550Ti), but the CPU is definitely the bottleneck now. Since I've never really cared about belonging to the Master Race, I have no education about what the good CPUs are at the moment. If I wanted to buy a new computer from a regular retailer for a fairly budget/resonable price, what CPU would I be looking for?

At the moment for real budget stuff.. Well, it's either going for a decent Haswell Processor and putting up with no overclocking and two cores with Hyperthreading (like the i3 4130), a slightly pricier and slower Haswell with no overclocking but a proper multicore (like the i5-4430), or going AMD to get Overclocking, Multicore and a few quid off at the expense of performance loss and increased power/heat generation (something along the lines of the Vishera FX processors).

both RLLMUK's PC Building Guide and Tech Report go for the i3 4130, in terms of Budget buying. It's kind of risky buying anything during this cross-generation period, though - Back when the 360 came out, having two cores was pretty much a luxury, and most budget specs were still on high-end single core processors. Of course, things have changed, and consoles moving from custom silicon - going to x86 and slow-clocked, multi-core processing - could very much mean that the existing processors that are around can deliver the same performance - they just trade half the cores/threads for a higher clock.

Then again, AAA Developers are lazy bastards, so it's all up in the air anyway. Actually, half of the next gen games sound broke anyway on both PC and Console. I'd keep the 2009 PC and play Rogue Legacy!

Speaking of indie titles, anyone bought Two Brothers? the idea of a Gameboy-styled action RPG coupled with a full orchestral soundtrack makes me a little, uh, moist.

Not got Two Brothers yet; but have wishlisted it. But I have been playing Blood of the Werewolf this evening and it is great fun. Superb little Arcade title that would have been perfectly suited to XBLA. Plays like Castlevania (not Metroidvania though) and has a really nice aesthetic. Highly recommended in the next Sale:

Few Steam keys for anyone that wants them:

Agricultural Simulator 2011

Agricultural Simulator 2013

Air Conflicts: Secret Wars

Combat Wings: Battle of Britain

Dark Sector

Guardians of Graxia + Map Pack DLC

Guardians of Graxia: Elves & Dwarves DLC

Off-Road Drive

Pacific Storm Allies

Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator

Space Pirates and Zombies

Guardian

Speaking of indie titles, anyone bought Two Brothers? the idea of a Gameboy-styled action RPG coupled with a full orchestral soundtrack makes me a little, uh, moist.

I've not played it, but I really like the look of it (and the sound of a fully orchestrated soundtrack), but here's a review which doesn't make it sound too great:

http://operationrainfall.com/review-two-brothers/

Never heard of that site myself, but I couldn't find much on the game through googling.

Starbound looks like a big hit. Note that in the UK, currency conversion means that it is slightly cheaper to buy direct* from the developers via humble store (you get a steam key anyway), and you get the soundtrack which seems to be a separate purchase on Steam.

*Though only about £1 or so for me after bank charges for $ purchases. Now I think about it, probably different if you use PayPal as opposed to Amazon Payments as I did.

Dark Sector

Off-Road Drive

Pacific Storm Allies

Guardian

I'll take Dark Sector if that's OK?

Starbound has so much potential, man. Obviously it has some expected beta troubles, and could probably have a slightly easier early game, but very cool. While the quests aren't fully implemented yet, there are some simple ones in there that act as a tutorial. Just adding quests and a story to this kind of game is a great improvement.

On that note, Broken Sword 5 is out. I had forgotten about that one. Interested in reading people's impressions of that.. I'm not sure what I expect of it in terms of quality.

Dark Sector

Off-Road Drive

Pacific Storm Allies

Guardian

Can I have Agricultural Simulator 2011 if you still have it?

Anyone had issues with Steam and BT Infinity? Whenever I download a game Steam will max out at 6 or 7 MBps for a few minutes, but then all traffic will die and I'll have to restart my Home Hub to get it back. It kills all traffic; web, Steam, FTP, can't even ping anything.

Doesn't seem to happen if I do it between about 3am and 8am so it feels like some weird form of traffic shaping, but I can't find anyone else on the internet who has the same issue.

Ugh, this is gash. Deleted Steam (which unexpectedly deleted all folders within it, including the actual game folders) because I keep getting some crap about all pipes are being used and now I'm trying system restores and all sorts of nonsense to try and get everything running again. Everything's a no go.

System Restore's also being a trollop. Is it working, or is it idling? I can't tell.

Occasionally it mentions that it's trying to connect to the steam service, but it then fails.

Pheh.