rllmuk
choddo

Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

I'm a bit late discovering this, but...

Steam's approach to game soundtracks has been broken, to put it mildly. It's been treated as downloadable content for its associated game, forcing you to buy the game in question -- and you could forget about having an easy way to manage your collection. Valve is thankfully fixing that experience. It's introducing a "soundtrack" app type that lets you buy soundtracks whether or not you own the core game, manage them in your Steam library and place them in a central music folder instead of scattering them across multiple game directories. Developers can even sell soundtracks when the game isn't available on Steam

https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/08/steam-soundtracks-revamp/

This could be interesting - I always thought the "DLC" approach was a bit bizarre (what about people who own the game on another platform but want the music for their PC?), so having more choice is a good thing.

SvXMGvo.png

I see the deep dive feature is working as intended.

• Upvote 2

Steam have made leaps and bounds with their Linux support since I last checked. Absolutely loads of my Windows games are now seamlessly installable and playable under automatically enabled WINE integration. This is really, really cool!

• Upvote 1

The kind of thing they probably should have done before their first punt at a Steambox really.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The kind of thing they probably should have done before their first punt at a Steambox really.

Yeah, they messed up on that really. I know Valve have been vocal about breaking the Windows monopoly on gaming, and this is quite a step forward but ultimately it might not be a winnable fight. Funny, the only company more vocal were Epic, Tim Sweeney was practically a conspiracy theorist on MS and their dark motives in the PC gaming arena. Then he goes and releases a game platform that doesn't support Linux at all, nice one Tim.

(The other fairly stealthy pro-Linux move is from Google - their stadia platform forces companies to port their game to Linux to run on it. Be interesting to see if that has any payoff from a user perspective in buying Linux games).

Anyway, not that I'm a Linux fanatic by any means, I have a Windows 10 desktop that I do serious gaming on. But it's nice to see these developments and the push from Steam to support them is something they don't get enough credit for IMHO.

On 05/02/2020 at 22:30, Takizawa said:

Has anyone here played Wildermyth?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/763890/Wildermyth/

I took a punt on this and i'm so glad I did, I just lost a whole Saturday to it!

It has a similar 'one more turn / mission' that XCOM has, along with some wonderful stories and interactions.

This is a character I ended up with during my run through the first campaign...

1359934518_BaseProfileScreenshot2020_02.08-13_11_14_93.thumb.png.500d5047ba0342c60a24760d3a1a062c.png

She ended up sacrificing herself during the final encounter to save her lover :(

I'm really excited to see how this develops, but apart from some basic UI elements, this does not feel like an early access game. Highly recommended (Steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive).

You've described an excellent game but then I watched the video and I dislike the art and animation enough to give this a wide berth. It's that horrible flash era stuff i just can't stand.

Excellent bundle, worth it for the SNK collection.

Atari Vault

The King of Fighters XIV

Sherlock Holmes: the Devil’s Daughter

SNK 40th Anniversary Collection

The Surge & Wonder Boy: the Dragon’s Trap

£3.69

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-12?aff_track=CJ&CJEVENT=1de4b8d951c711ea833700240a180511&utm_source=CJ&cj_pid=4230006&cj_aid=13212017

• Upvote 4

It’s a great bundle and I thought ooh never got around to playing The Surge, that Sherlock game look interesting and Wonderboy looks very pretty.

So I bought it only to realise that The Surge is on Origin Access, and I have Sherlock and Wonderboy from Twitch.

This is why you are supposed to check GOG galaxy before buying things!!

Still the SNK collection has Ikari Warriors so not a complete waste of nearly £4

• Upvote 1

The SNK Collection is a real labour of love, and is absolutely worth playing for the more obscure titles alone, never mind the bigger names like Ikari Warriors; it's well worth far more than just £4 on its own, so you shouldn't regret the purchase!

• Upvote 1

Lego DC Super Villains Deluxe Edition x 2

Batman Arkham Knight Premium Edition

Gas Guzzlers Extreme

Shadow of Mordor GOTY edition

Anyone want any of these? I'm never gonna use 'em so even if they're for someone else its sound.

• Upvote 5

I would like a lego dc super villains for my nephews please. They're 5 and 8 and love everything video games and/or lego so they will be overjoyed with this. 

50 minutes ago, Sane said:

I would like a lego dc super villains for my nephews please. They're 5 and 8 and love everything video games and/or lego so they will be overjoyed with this. 

Sure, il next be on PC tomorrow eveing, wil send then.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

Gas Guzzlers Extreme

Anyone want any of these? I'm never gonna use 'em so even if they're for someone else its sound.

I''d love Shadow of Mordor if you've still got it

On 18/02/2020 at 08:40, Dudley said:

Is that the one Frank Cifaldi was involved in?

Yep, that's the one.

• Upvote 1

On 01/03/2020 at 18:02, Dark Soldier said:

Gas Guzzlers Extreme

If I'm not too late my 8 year old would love a Lego DC Villains. No worries if I am. 

1 hour ago, strawdonkey said:

If there are any must-plays in here that you think I should play, please let me know

The Walking Dead: Season One is one of the best narrative-based games of the last decade. Hexcells is a really good puzzler, like a cleverer Minesweeper.

• Upvote 2

Just now, wavey said:

The Walking Dead: Season One is one of the best narrative-based games of the last decade. Hexcells is a really good puzzler, like a cleverer Minesweeper.

Thank you! I have both of those in my Steam library already, but haven't got round to them yet - so someone else gets to enjoy them too :)

• Upvote 1

On 11/03/2020 at 19:01, strawdonkey said:

HELLO I HAVE THINGS DO YOU WANT THINGS

Still some lovely games unclaimed in here. I would recommend any of the following:

LiEat - three short stories disguised as an RPG

Luftrausers - Ridiculous 2D spitfire simulator. Blow up all the things

Nidhogg - Secret excellent 1v1 fighter. Turner the worm eats you if you are the best

Refunct - very short first-person platform thing...?

TIS-100 - Program a fictional computer to perform rudimentary tasks. Or if you are me, make a program that accidentally does the exact opposite of what you want it to do

Towerfall Ascension - Brilliant 2D arena combat from developers of Celeste

Vanguard Princess - 2D 2v2 fighter with princesses

Some of the other ones might even be good too!

Towerfall is essential, just classic super tight emergent gameplay some of the most fun I've ever had with a game.

On 12/12/2019 at 14:20, Qazimod said:

Some time-limited demos from The Game Festival will be available from 6pm today, to 6pm Saturday...

https://medium.com/@geoffkeighley/introducing-the-game-festival-9d319cf7a579

If you didn't play the last Carrion demo, it's definitely worth a look. Also I'm tempted to try and find time for Haven... :) 

This is happening again...

• Upvote 1