rllmuk
choddo

Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

21 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

This might need to go into ATF but it seems to be a Steam issue. I have a 3 monitor setup and recently my mouse cursor is escaping the game even when the game is in fullscreen only. It seems to be isolated to Steam as Epic launched games stick inside the main monitor.

I've googled it and come across some work arounds like Win+P (that seems to make Display Fusion shit itself) and I really didn't want to go for a third party application option. Has anyone else had this, heard of this or has any idea why it would start doing it recently?

I've reread your post and googled Display Fusion - this should have been my first suggestion: press shift control escape to launch task manager. Look for the Display Fusion executable and end it. Now launch a game and see if that made a difference.

11 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I've reread your post and googled Display Fusion - this should have been my first suggestion: press shift control escape to launch task manager. Look for the Display Fusion executable and end it. Now launch a game and see if that made a difference.

It allows different wallpapers on the monitors and other shit I don't care about. I thought I'd tried this and ending the exe didn't actually do anything but I'll try again right now.

11 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It still did nothing :(

52 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It allows different wallpapers on the monitors and other shit I don't care about. I thought I'd tried this and ending the exe didn't actually do anything but I'll try again right now.

You can do that in Windows 10 without a third party application. Just select the three wallpapers you want, right click on each of them "set as background". Then go into Windows settings, the bit where you can customize stuff like your wallpaper. There you'll see your most recent wallpapers in a row, right click on the ones you want - you'll see an option to set it to a specific monitor. Set to monitor 1, then right click on the next - set to monitor 2. It works and saves you running yet another program in the background.

49 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It still did nothing :(

Shit, sorry. Because Display Fusion handles monitor stuff that would be the first thing to try. If it's not that, but ut happens with every game and not just Steam, it has to be something in windows or that's running in the background. Sorry I can't be of more help...

What I would do to troubleshoot in your case, but I'm by no means one of the foremost experts here:

Go into Windows 10 settings:

-check the resolution settings for each monitor. Do you have a custom resolution set for any of them? Set them all to something standard, maybe even the same

- resolution scaling, is it set to something weird?

- taskbar is locked and its default position?

- multiple monitors: are they arranged probably and set to extend desktop?

- mouse settings: anything notable there that could be related to your problem?

Check the settings of your display driver, if any? Anything notable?

Any other stuff set to start with Windows like Display Fusion was?

I can imagine it's very frustrating, I hope someone can be of more help soon!

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

You can do that in Windows 10 without a third party application. Just select the three wallpapers you want, right click on each of them "set as background". Then go into Windows settings, the bit where you can customize stuff like your wallpaper. There you'll see your most recent wallpapers in a row, right click on the ones you want - you'll see an option to set it to a specific monitor. Set to monitor 1, then right click on the next - set to monitor 2. It works and saves you running yet another program in the background.

Shit, sorry. Because Display Fusion handles monitor stuff that would be the first thing to try. If it's not that, but ut happens with every game and not just Steam, it has to be something in windows or that's running in the background. Sorry I can't be of more help...

What I would do to troubleshoot in your case, but I'm by no means one of the foremost experts here:

Go into Windows 10 settings:

-check the resolution settings for each monitor. Do you have a custom resolution set for any of them? Set them all to something standard, maybe even the same

- resolution scaling, is it set to something weird?

- taskbar is locked and its default position?

- multiple monitors: are they arranged probably and set to extend desktop?

- mouse settings: anything notable there that could be related to your problem?

Check the settings of your display driver, if any? Anything notable?

Any other stuff set to start with Windows like Display Fusion was?

I can imagine it's very frustrating, I hope someone can be of more help soon!

It's ok man, thanks for your help. I used Display Fusion because for the longest time Windows didn't do this. I've also disabled a shit load of nonsense on start up, checked overlays on the Geforce Experience and that. 

Resolutions are standard, they've definitely not changed recently. One monitor is portrait but it's been that way for a very long time. I think it's just one of those things I'm going to have to deal with, it just doesn't seem to be resolvable without third party apps.

Steam sale recommendation: I’m enjoying Tametsi a lot, which is only 65p in the sale. It’s a pleasingly tough Hexcells/Minesweeper-style game, with some interesting twists such as irrregular grids. 160 puzzles, no guesswork involved, the dev reckons it will take 40 hours fo finish. I'm only ~30 puzzles in, but some have been pretty brutal already. John Walker has a review which calls it "one of the best logic puzzle games you can buy on PC".

https://store.steampowered.com/app/709920/Tametsi/

• Upvote 1

Excuse this, but I need somewhere to brain vomit; I've had my eye on Oxygen Not Included for a while. I really fancy it despite the fact it looks entirely unlike something I'd normally play. I don't do very well with 'stressful' games, or games that require something other than "hit button to smash face" (that may be a slight exaggeration but you get what I mean) but I've been hankering for a meaty game, but not like Hearts of Iron meaty. I tried They Are Billions as I bought it aaaaaaaaaaaages ago and I can't get past the first scenario and uninstalled it in a huff after the 6th failure.

@robdood recommended ONI after I pondered on Twitter and I had a look through the (admittedly tiny) thread on here but the RPS review from 1.0 launch last year seemed to confirm what I was worried about; that the game requires an inordinate amount of micromanagement and understanding of the minutae of how the systems interlock in the late game.

I'm not sure what I want from posting this, tbh. I've talked myself out of it twice while typing this, which I'd thought would bring some kind of closure but here we are. Thanks for coming to my TED talk on indecision and inconsequential bullshit.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

36 minutes ago, yashiro said:

What do you mean by 'meaty game'?

Rimworld!

50 minutes ago, yashiro said:

What do you mean by 'meaty game'?

To be honest I'm not entirely sure. Summat a bit thinky, or rpg-y. It doesn't matter because I bought it anyway. I'll play it tonight and probably refund it tomorrow knowing me.

I picked up Troubleshooter. Relatively early on in my play though but it seems like Persona and X-com in one package. Only £14.99

25 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

To be honest I'm not entirely sure. Summat a bit thinky, or rpg-y. It doesn't matter because I bought it anyway. I'll play it tonight and probably refund it tomorrow knowing me.

Coincidentally the thread has just been bumped, so I'll recommend Shadow Tactics. It's excellent - deep and thinky, but also approachable and streamlined. Wonderful atmosphere too. Think isometric samurai XCOM with all kinds of ninja abilities.

• Upvote 1

Is there any way you can have multiple family members sharing the same account? My daughter does use my account at the moment but I don't think we can be online at the same time and she wants to take advantage of some games in the steam sale.

2 minutes ago, strider said:

Is there any way you can have multiple family members sharing the same account? My daughter does use my account at the moment but I don't think we can be online at the same time and she wants to take advantage of some games in the steam sale.

I think the easiest way is to set up a separate account for her and share your libraries through Steam Family Sharing.

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

I think the easiest way is to set up a separate account for her and share your libraries through Steam Family Sharing.

My understanding of that though is you both can't use steam at the same time.

Just now, strider said:

My understanding of that though is you both can't use steam at the same time.

Yeah I was just reading that and came here to say oops. Sorry :(

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah I was just reading that and came here to say oops. Sorry :(

No worries, I was hoping it was like PS4 where you can all play the same game on multiple systems.

This is something I'm increasingly wanting as my kids get into games. My games on my Steam account! There must be a way for Steam to get it to work to their satisfaction.

1 hour ago, strider said:

No worries, I was hoping it was like PS4 where you can all play the same game on multiple systems.

Games on gog.com are drm free so anything you buy there in essence anyone can play? 

I've gone a little made in the sale :o

Got Metal Gear Solid V,

Jurassic World Evolution and the Park expansion,

Bulletstorm Remastered,

Splinter Cell Blacklist, 

Talisman

Ikaruga

Raiden III

Deus Ex

Ori And The Blind Forest

Thronebreaker

Soma

Deus Ex Mankind Divided

That should help test my new PC when it turns up

• Upvote 2

I played a demo of Carrion a while ago and it was ace, so I'm looking forward to that. Olija might be fun too. :) 

I've joined the Rllmuk Steam Group.   Now I really should play some games.

• Upvote 2

Does anybody actually ever use the Steam group?

I don't really think it's appropriate to post a full post, so here's a comment about a new game that came out today on Steam, Fight Crab.

I don't know if you can tell, but this is a very silly physics-based fighter.  Claw control are twin-stick, and movement is done with the D-Pad (press a direction, crab continually moves that way, double tap to dash). As mentioned on the Steam page, there's 48 weapons, which can also be dual-wielded or held while on the back of a rocket. No, really.

I went into the Versus Mode and played around with the assortment of weapons. For peak efficiency, I picked for both crabs to dual wield revolvers and to fight in their natural habitat, a brightly-coloured children's playpen. naturally, It took me a good time to realise that the LB/RB's normal guard function is replaced with weapon actions, like pulling the trigger.

As I was getting obviously shot to shit by my rival crustacean while attempting to pistol whip to no avail, up popped the 'Hyper Mode Function', so I hit the select button. My crab went super saiyan and the resulting shot came out at the force of a cannon, flipping over our Calappa friend immediately and insta-won the match.

This is the ideal videogame. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

• Upvote 2