Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

The only thing I've picked up so far is the Missing Link DLC. It definitely has to be worth a fiver for some more juicy DXHR goodness. I was half tempted by Duke Nukem the other day when it was cheap, but managed to resist the urge. It's up to a tenner now and I wouldn't pay that for it but I may well grab it next time it's around a fiver.

I quite fancy Skyrim, but I'm not going to pay full whack for it given my experiences with both Oblivion and Fallout. I do like them, but my interest tends to fizzle out part way through. Looking at my games list when it comes to single player games, bar the odd exception, it would seem my interest begins to wane at around the late teens to twenty hour mark.

I've just picked up Anno 1404, Fallout New Vegas, and Batman:AA is still downloading.

I take it you bought Anno from Origin? I've wanted it for a while but it's not Steamworks and it's been unavailable to purchase on Steam for a few months now.

Remember how Rocksteady span us a tall story of how they were holding the PC version of Batman:AC back to make it as good as possible (something we know to be bollocks given the state of the DX11 version), well I had it crash and this interesting dialog box appeared.

post-165-025871800 1322326159_thumb.jpg

Yeah I saw this being discussed on a few other forums and basically it looks like the final build was done at the same time as the consoles. I don't really blame Rocksteady though, regardless of what they were saying, it's all on Warner Bros who seem to be going the same way as Ubisoft. It doesn't even make sense because do many people who play on their consoles even play PC games ? I'd say that number is quite small and would barely effect console sales. Saying that, if it was Rocksteady who chose GFWL they need a good swift kick in the nads.

New Deals:

Civilization V £6.79 66% off all DLC GotY edition £10.19

Rage £14.99

Tom Clancy pack £36.99 75% off each game, Conviction £3.24

FEAR complete £19.99 1 £3.49, 2 £4.99 3 £14.99

The Witcher £3.24 TW2 £15.59

Kane & Lynch £1.99 K&L2 £2.99

Overlord Complete £3.74

Payday The Heist £7.49

Worms Reloaded £6.11

Cities XL 2012 £14.99

Limbo £1.74

The Polynomial £1.49

I've had to move my steam install to a new hard drive so, to that end, I re-downloaded steam, installed it to the new drive, and activated my account.

I copied over my steam apps directory to the new steam apps folder but how do I point steam at this location. Nothing is showing as installed and I'm not really all that keen to download 200Gb on data that is already sitting on my hard drive...

Despite its ease of use and not having to have game boxes cluttering the place up, I really do hate an awful lot about steam. The wildly fluctuating 40kb/s to 400 kb/s download rate (mostly at the low end) I am currently experiencing for example..

I moved my Steam install too and I think I had to do something involving verifying the integrity of the game files before it would 'see' them as being in the new location. Have you tried that?

That can only be performed if the game is recognized as being present which none of mine are...

It's pretty annoying.

You shouldn't have to do anything for Steam to recognise the games. I've restored mine a couple of times without any issues by just copying the steamapps folder to the new Steam directory, although it does need to run an integrity check on some of the games once it picks them up.

Silly question, but was Steam running when you copied the folder over? If so have you tried just restarting Steam?

EDIT: As for dodgy download speeds, that's presumably a result of the sales.

I forgot about the sales. Stupid sales.

No steam wasn't running when I copied them over. And it has been restarted several times since in an increasingly vain hope that it might actually see the games on the drive.

I may have to repeat the procedure..

I forgot about the sales. Stupid sales.

No steam wasn't running when I copied them over. And it has been restarted several times since in an increasingly vain hope that it might actually see the games on the drive.

I may have to repeat the procedure..

Im not sure about running steam off a separate drive myself, but i know generally if you copy a game into the steamapps folder, you also need to copy all the .gcf files too otherwise steam wont see them

Im not sure about running steam off a separate drive myself, but i know generally if you copy a game into the steamapps folder, you also need to copy all the .gcf files too otherwise steam wont see them

It works fine from a separate drive, but that's a good point. I just back up the entire steamapps folder.

I've had to move my steam install to a new hard drive so, to that end, I re-downloaded steam, installed it to the new drive, and activated my account.

I copied over my steam apps directory to the new steam apps folder but how do I point steam at this location. Nothing is showing as installed and I'm not really all that keen to download 200Gb on data that is already sitting on my hard drive...

Try deleting all files except Steam.exe and your steam apps folder, worked for me when moving it to a new HDD. It did need to download something for a few games but it must have been a few meg total for all my games.

One thing to note if you use offline mode often the games will need do the install as if you'd downloaded them again, which at least for some not sure if it's all you need to be online for.

That seems to have fixed it.

Big thanks y'all..

x

Have to say a big thanks to mr_woo who just gifted me a copy of PAYDAY, it certainly made my day, I'm very grateful.

I definitely think we should do a Steam secret Santa this Christmas, be very nice to have a gift pop up at some point. Fairly easy to do with the new trade system, buy the game as a gift in your inventory and everyone trade to a single person that will send them out, be happy to do it myself if needed.

Had a quick go on PAYDAY single player and it's great fun, police from every angle and the music really rack up the tension, it's certainly much more than L4D in a bank. Be good to sort out some games tomorrow or this week, I should be around in the evening.

Would it be worth picking up something like magicka four pack, waiting, then selling them for more? As I want magicka anyways... It's only £9.60 for four.

I'd say not really, it's one of those games that regularly goes on sale across most of the DD sites, it will no doubt be pretty cheap again around Christmas.

Had a quick go on PAYDAY single player and it's great fun, police from every angle and the music really rack up the tension, it's certainly much more than L4D in a bank. Be good to sort out some games tomorrow or this week, I should be around in the evening.

I'd say not really, it's one of those games that regularly goes on sale across most of the DD sites, it will no doubt be pretty cheap again around Christmas.

I should be up for some games sometime tomorrow hopefully but definitely in the next few days :)

I've been addicted to Serious Sam 3 all evening. It's so damn good, it feels like a natural evolution of the formula but still keeping it Serious Sam, it's certainly a lot more well thought and 'brainless' in a clever way.

Ignore my previous post as it turns out that, although the games were now highlighted in white (or yellow) instead of greyed out, clicking on any one of them still resulted in steam attempting to download the whole game.

This is starting to get on my tits now.

Will try the delete everything and start over technique, again.

Final day of Deals:

Thief Deadly Shadows £1.99

Demolition inc £1.99

Divinity II DKS £7.49

Fable III £12.99

Section 8 Prejudice £2.49

Modern Warfare 2 £14.99 DLC £5.49 each

Dead Space £3.74 DS2 £4.99

Red Faction Guerrilla £5.09 Armageddon £10.19 DLC £1.52 1&2 £1.69 each

Magic the Gathering Duel of the Planeswalkers 2012 £2.79

Greed Corp £1.99

Driver San Francisco £14.99

Europa Universalis III Complete £2.49

Tip for slow downloads due to the heavy usage go to settings -> Downloads + Clouds and change the download region. Avoid the busy places like the UK and US, Iceland & Greenland is a favourite of mine.