Arthur Lee Dies at 61

therearerules

Oh, shit.

I thought he'd be fine really as they'd been no news for a while. There were a whole bunch of benefit concerts being put together for him aswell to help pay for his treatment. :)

Also everyone bangs on about Forever Changes but they've got so much great material - truth be told the Love album pretty much matches it. My Flash On You and Little Red Book are classics.

RIP.

Aw, that's shite :)

I was supposed to go and see him when Love played in Leeds last year but ended up not being able to go, would have been amazing to see them.

Da Capo's not far off Forever Changes either, for my money.

I just searched for the old thread where I spoke of my appreciation for Forever Changes so I could link to it to make myself look superior to those who will go and buy Forever Changes now. I'm bigoted like that, but I couldn't find the thread. Not that there's anything wrong with the intrigued discovering Forever Changes now, and they won't be disappointed by the album. The sadness felt when great musicians die is always soothed a little by knowing their record sales will shoot through the roof.

RIP, Arthur.

Special salutes for Arthur Lee, a legend.

I saw him again last year in Brighton. Another great gig. Me and my girlfriend were even staying in the same hotel as Arthur. Seeing him saunter down for breakfast in his shades like fucking proper rock 'n' roll star will always be a great memory for me.

Frankly, I'm gutted. :)

My girlfriends snoozing on the sofa, blissfully unaware. Now I've got to go and tell her Arthur's dead. Hug's for everyone . :(

Properly gutted about this, considering he was more or less bullet proof in my eyes.

In all honesty there's really not a better time to listen to a bit of Love really. I usually hate cliches about only listening to something because of the weather but 'Forever Changes' reminds me of lying in my room sneezing my head off.

I hope they don't put it up in price or something now, I got it when he came out of jail a handful of years ago for pennies I think.

'You Set The Scene' is a personal favourite for me. It just seems to have everything in it and thinking about the lyrics, pretty poignant right now (correct me if I'm wrong):

"For the time that I've been given,

Such a little while

And the things that I must do,

consist of more than style

There are places that I am going

This is the only thing that I am sure of,

And that is all that ever lives is gonna die..."

Peace out Arthur.

I love that track, especially the way it starts and ends in two totally different places. The first with that groovy bassline and beat, and the end with the strings and horn section.

Love are a big influence on TSE actually, when I joined the band our singer and his brother were really into them, and that's how I picked up on them too.

I love that track, especially the way it starts and ends in two totally different places. The first with that groovy bassline and beat, and the end with the strings and horn section.

Love are a big influence on TSE actually, when I joined the band our singer and his brother were really into them, and that's how I picked up on them too.

That song is pretty damn amazing. Does the whole lots of different styles much better than most which attempt it.

Aw, man. I was just having a massive conversation about Love and how brilliant they were in the pub the other night- I saw a Love live CD in HMV the other day, which kicked off some powerful nostalgia.

Love were ace. I saw Arthur Lee live in the Royal Festival Hall a couple of years (does mental calculation... FOUR years ago. Blimey), and he was shit-hot- rocky all over and groovy in the right places.

RIP, you crazy fucker.

A second Crazy Diamond leaves us...

Love's music is simply extraordinary - it never gets tired. I love the interplay of horms and wild bursts of acid guitar. Lyrically also a cut above average.

Hopefully the appreciations which will follow will encourage younger folk to listen in.

Being a huge Syd Barrett/Pink Floyd fan, I'll have to look into this man. I never knew who he was, but I'll pick up the albums and see if I like them. Should I go chronologically?

RIP.

Get 'Forever Changes'- that's their best album. Go back to the early stuff if you like that.

• 2 years later...