rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Apocalypse Now

Despite the release date, I received my pre-ordered copy over a week ago. Both versions of the film are annoyingly spread over the two discs. Most will probably appreciate the break in the middle of Redux, but it's disappointing given both films are already available on single discs. There's no Hearts of Darkness included either, so it's far from being the ultimate edition, but the bonus features I've seen are mostly good if not in the same class as HOD.

Even the packaging, which looks good as a concept, is less impressive when it's sat on your shelf. It just looks cheap.

:unsure:

Are you crazy? The second half is the best bit of a great movie. Kurtz's insane Cambodian village. Dennis Hopper's photographer, man. The surfer boy tripping out his nut on LSD in conflict. Fucking Kurtz himself! Man, that movie is fucking great.

:unsure:

Are you crazy? The second half is the best bit of a great movie. Kurtz's insane Cambodian village. Dennis Hopper's photographer, man. The surfer boy tripping out his nut on LSD in conflict. Fucking Kurtz himself! Man, that movie is fucking great.

It loses pace, though. I enjoy it but it's definitely true the second half lacks enegry, especially the Redux cut.

That's not how I see it. I felt like the closer Willard got to Kurtz, the more gripping the film became. The insane characters who began to spring up and flip out en route only added to the madness of it all. By the time Willard reached Cambodia my mind was in orbit. Next thing I know Kurtz is dropping decapitated heads about, villagers are slaughtering cows and a schizophrenic hippy photographer is dressing beautiful poetry up as deranged stoner ranting. Kurtz's diary, man. When Willard finds his 'advice' on exactly what needs to be done. These were the memorable scenes for me.

That's not how I see it. I felt like the closer Willard got to Kurtz, the more gripping the film became. The insane characters who began to spring up and flip out en route only added to the madness of it all. By the time Willard reached Cambodia my mind was in orbit. Next thing I know Kurtz is dropping decapitated heads about, villagers are slaughtering cows and a schizophrenic hippy photographer is dressing beautiful poetry up as deranged stoner ranting. Kurtz's diary, man. When Willard finds his 'advice' on exactly what needs to be done. These were the memorable scenes for me.

Great post. I'm there with you. It's a favourite, and the vivid descent into madness is part of why I love it.

Yeah, I love it all the way through as well. Not the Redux cut though, I quite like the plantation section taken on it's own but it does fuck the film up something rotten.

Yeah, I love it all the way through as well. Not the Redux cut though, I quite like the plantation section taken on it's own but it does fuck the film up something rotten.

Probably its biggest flaw.

Hell no, I thought the redux edition made the movie far better. The story had the massive benefit of making sense too.

I don't see any harm in a break in a long movie either, when I saw the redux in the cinema there was a break meaning we could go outside for a cigarette, have a cheeky piss and get some beers from the offy for the second half. Excellent.

This is great news as this is my favourite film of all time I think. I agree that the Plantation scene whilst interesting really spoilt the pacing of the film. I prefer the original version to the Redux for sure. What I love about the film is the sense of the journey into the unknown. You hear all about this Kurtz guy as stuff happens that gets madder and madder and when you get there its just so much more insane than you could imagine. I think they pulled this off so well because as they were making the film they had no idea how they were going to end it. I can't beliebe they've not included Hearts of Darkness with this disk. Its one of those films that the more you see and read about the making of it the more you respect the film. The fact they made such an awesome movie under such circumstances is amazing.

I watched it at the weekend actually as my wife had never seen it. It still blows me away and gives you this really shellshocked feeling at the end every time I watch it.

The Horror, The Horror

Yeah, it seems demented that there's no Hearts of Darkness with it. I'd read a lot about all the stuff that happened before I eventually saw it but it was no substitute for actually seeing and hearing Coppolla talking like an absolute nutjob, as well as watching the footage of them struggling to get shots done with so many variables and so much stuff going wrong.

Ugh. Am I the only one who feels Dennis Hopper upsets the balance of otherwise great acting in this film? I know he's meant to be utterly obsessed with Kurtz, but he's so in your face about it. Is it meant to offset Martin Sheen's similar stance? It doesn't work for me - it's blunt and outspoken after hours of deliberate build-up

It also reminded me of Easy Rider, breaking my immersion in Apocalypse Now. I kept expecting him to start giggling.

I've never seen Redux but i love the film. Deffinetly a film to watch when youre stoned rather than something to have on in the background while you read or whatever.

A few of the characters/scenes in Apocalypse Now and also Full Metal Jacket were actually adapted from the memoirs of 'Nam war correspondent Michael Herr ('Dispatches').

Check it out, it's a quality book.

So it's a bit like the movie then? Loses its way at half-time and leaves you feeling short-changed?

Replace half-time with start and you're talking about Saving Private Ryan :)

I would say go with the original. If you don't like it then nothing in the redux will change your mind, if you do like it then the redux is good for a re-watch. None of the bits in it are vital though, just interesting extras.

Saw the Final Cut at the cinema the other night. Was my second time watching the film. My first time was the theatrical cut on DVD years ago, which in no way prepared me for how spellbinding it is on the big screen. Incomparable. 

• Upvote 2

Never seen it, so making amends next week thanks to the re-release.

Can count towards this year’s 100 cinema trips attempt. Winning.

• Upvote 1

What's the Final Cut then? In terms relative to Theatrical and Redux?

(I've still never watched Redux tbh, it's so bloody long I always go for the theatrical cut)

Incidentally the first time I ever saw Apocalypse Now was on the big screen at the Glasgow Film Theatre. When that tree line erupted in flames...