rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Bag

The Wire

How come The Wire has eight pages while Battlestar Gallactica has 155?

There aren't any spaceships or robots in The Wire.

How come The Wire has eight pages while Battlestar Gallactica has 155?

Most of that is Meh being a prick. Also, most people came to The Wire when it was already out on DVD, so there wasn't a big discussion over every episode as they aired. And these intellectual programs never get watched and discussed much. See also: Rome.

Just popped in to add to the list of those giving thanks for introducing this. I bought the first 2 seasons 2 weeks ago and just finished them. Great stuff. Now I regret not buying the third when I saw it because now no bugger has a copy on sale and I need more.

Just watched Season 1 this week in large size chunks and really have to add the praises on. Absolutely wonderful gripping stuff, hooked all the way through and a very humbling drama. Really loved it, can't wait to get started on Season 2.

I bought series 1 and 2 DVD sets from Play.com after reading the Guardian Guide's piece on it. Just finished series 1 the other night, would probably have watched it in a couple of sittings as it's so compeling but I got it as something me and the misses can watch together as we normally don't share the same taste in programs but this sounded good for both of us.

Series 1 spoiler...

Loved it so far and can't wait to get into series 2, my only criticism was that the charging and sentencing was all very rushed, like they had to cut the series short. Hopefully it carries over to series 2 and more is shown of what happens to Avon and Deangelo. Also felt they could have let Keema die, maybe it's just me but it seemed to lose some impact when she survived.

You Type We Show

Other than that it's really well told with balanced portrayals of both sides of the law and some really strong characters. I'm surprised one of the terrestrial channels haven't picked this up yet as the rights to series 1 must be quite cheap now and it's still very unheard of over here.

I had the same feeling after the fist season. But don't worry. I'll say no more than that :)

I'm surprised one of the terrestrial channels haven't picked this up yet as the rights to series 1 must be quite cheap now and it's still very unheard of over here.

No bugger would watch it. Fucking plebs.

I've started Season 2 yesterday and watched a marathon chunk of it, absolutely feckin love this programme - the only criticism I'd make about Season 2 is that it's now trying to tell 2 stories, which is good in that it gives a what happens next to the Projects stuff, but it suffers the whole novel angle of Season 1. Banged an order for Season 3 also.

Anyone know when Season 4 is due on DVD?

I've started Season 2 yesterday and watched a marathon chunk of it, absolutely feckin love this programme - the only criticism I'd make about Season 2 is that it's now trying to tell 2 stories, which is good in that it gives a what happens next to the Projects stuff, but it suffers the whole novel angle of Season 1. Banged an order for Season 3 also.

Anyone know when Season 4 is due on DVD?

I'm up to episode 10 or 11 in season two and was a bit disappointed (maybe that should be disorientated) at first, given how the story changes focus, at least to an extent, to the docks rather than the drug dealers. This being The Wire, you just know that it won't let you down. Absolutely amazing stuff.

The Nation of Islam guy who turns up is an incredible character. Just brilliant. Season three should be at home this evening.

This is a great quote from David Simon from that Telegraph article:

Nowadays, people treat the audience as if the audience knows best - and that's the end of art. Because you can't do anything artful by regarding the audience as a child that would, given its way, eat dessert every day and say "F--- it" to vegetables. There's no way to do anything purposeful by addressing yourself to your audience. You have to address yourself to your story.

The whole article really makes you realise how lucky we are that, not only did The Wire get made in the first place without any network meddling, but that it is being allowed to run for a full five seasons without being compromised or cut short.

When completed, it really will be a televisual masterpiece. Like a 65-hour version of the film Traffic, but better.

For those looking to get into this, Seasons 1 and 2 are only £15.99 a piece from ChoicesUK. Season 1, Season 2.

I've yet to find a similar price for S3, it's only just come out last month though.

I've been avoiding reading the whole thread because of spoliers, apologies if this has already been answered but can someon explain why in the penultimate episode of season 2

Frank Sobotka works the docks once he's been found out? Is it because he wants to be seen as a regular guy?

Pretty much, I reckon. He tries to recapture the dignity of the working man he is in his heart rather than the corrupt official he's become.

"Not now. I need to get clean," he tells his lawyers.

That's what I thought. I've gone through the first two series in the last three weeks. I need to slow down before I'm at the end!

Pah, I thought this was going to be some news on season 5. I'm currently reading The Corner to get my hit of life Baltimore's Westside. Excellent stuff so far.

Just finished watching season 2 last night. On a whole I don't think I enjoyed it as much as the first. I wasn't keeping track of what episode I was on and didnt even realise I was on the last episode until the final montage started. Seemed to cut things a bit short and leave a lot of loose ends, and the case as a whole seemed a lot more vague than in the first season (which I suppose it was for the police involved too...). Still enjoyed it though and I like the new characters, but they all seem to have hit a wall with their stories so I can't see how they can develop them any more in later seasons, like they have done with Stringer and Avon. In fact, I enjoyed the development of the whole Barksdale side of things in this season more than I did the actual main case. Can't wait to get started on season 3 just to see where that goes...although I already know about what I assume is the biggest event in that season.

Pah, I thought this was going to be some news on season 5. I'm currently reading The Corner to get my hit of life Baltimore's Westside. Excellent stuff so far.

It's great stuff isn't it. The woman who runs the rec centre is a hero.

I've got the mini-series on my hard drive for when I've finished the book. I'll keep you posted!

Still awaiting news about Season 4 on DVD. Don't tell me it's going to be next year - that'll be torture. I've started watching Homicide Season One, which is really enjoyable, but you can tell it has a lower budget. Have seen half of The Corner as well so far. Again great stuff. You can see how these go on to make up The Wire.

I ought to investigate into the books.

Still awaiting news about Season 4 on DVD. Don't tell me it's going to be next year - that'll be torture. I've started watching Homicide Season One, which is really enjoyable, but you can tell it has a lower budget. Have seen half of The Corner as well so far. Again great stuff. You can see how these go on to make up The Wire.

I ought to investigate into the books.

You ought. The books of Homicide and The Corner are both excellent. The Wire tie-in book is OK, but I summarised the important snippets in a post in one of the Wire threads.

I'm up to S3 of the Homicide TV show, and it's improved from the earlier episodes. I've got to know and like the characters, it's funnier and slicker than S1. It occassionally lapses into conventional cheesy rubbish: I was really enjoying what they seemed to be setting up as a long running hunt for a serial killer, and they suddenly resolved it with some "mad" acting from the unmasked killer.

It's great stuff isn't it. The woman who runs the rec centre is a hero.

photo_ella.jpg

Ella Thompson Fund

In 1998, Ella Thompson was named "Baltimorean of the Year" by Baltimore Magazine. Later that year, while driving a car full of donated computer equipment to a city recreation center, Ella, only 47, suffered a fatal heart attack.

;)

Back to Baltimore to film the final season of 'The Wire,' Dominic West had occasion to watch the blockbuster '300' (in which he plays a no-good politician) with an audience for the first time. Prior to the screening he talked to The Baltimore Sun about how he managed to avoid the rigorous workouts that his co-stars were put through prior to donning their Spartan garb. "They all worked out for about three months before shooting started. I did my whole thing in three weeks. I didn't train once," he boasted, fessing up to the reason why: "They showed me the costume. When they first showed it to me, it was some swim trunks and a cloak. And I said, 'You are joking,' so they put it on me and I had a nice potbelly. I was the only guy there without a six-pack. You'll notice in my costume, it's the only one with a bit of fabric over the front."

I'm five episodes into Season 4, and it's just incredible.

It's a disappointment in one respect: the police seem to be nowhere near as charismatic or funny as earlier seasons. Maybe it's because I know them all now. Really don't let it put you off, though. That's possibly my only criticism of the whole show.

I found that after the first season, the much hyped investigation angle was more or less pointless. To a certain extent even in the first season, the case was solved by other means outside of the investigation.

There just isnt much going on from season to season (police investigation wise)