rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Bag

The Wire

Indeed, I didn't see the problem. Just before I even started a few people had made a comment that I might not like it and to stick with it. Thought it was all wonderful, tbh.

I loved how there is no real closure or happy ending at the end of the whole 5 series either. "Life goes on, things rarely change" was the kind of mood I got from it. It's crazy to imagine how fucked up a place Baltimore must be.

• Upvote 1

Season 2 was my favourite, i prefer The Shield overall but The Wire is still amazing.

There was a video recently of Baltimore PD planting drugs in someones house not realising his body camera data can be retrieved 60s before he switched it on.

10 hours ago, scottcr said:

This is when I realise I've only watched the first series....  to the internet!

If you can, try to watch the 4:3 versions as originally broadcast.

All five series were converted to 16:9 for the Blu-Ray release. It was done quite carefully, to be fair, but I would heed the words of the showrunner, who wasn't involved. "It has some merit to exist, but it's not the show that we made".

I would recommend against reading about the conversion process, as the main articles about it contain spoilers for later seasons, on the assumption that you've already seen them.

• Upvote 1

I thought the HD and widescreen transfer was fantastic - its far less distracting to have your big screen filled properly and with a nice image (I've watched both versions as started out with the original 4:3 versions)

Unless you are some film school student or one of those 'respect the artistic choices of the DoP' etc then I'd watch the versions best suited to your tv.

• Upvote 1

Could be worse... It could still be that fucking horrid puppet family. I'd take mcnulty selling out over those nightmare muppets. 

What a phenomenal show this is. I need to watch it again. Not sure how many times I've seen it but it still has that pull. 

I have said in the past that I thought season 2 was really weak. Fuck you, past me. It's amazing. 

On 29/08/2017 at 21:11, McFly said:

Season 2 was my favourite, i prefer The Shield overall but The Wire is still amazing.

There was a video recently of Baltimore PD planting drugs in someones house not realising his body camera data can be retrieved 60s before he switched it on.

The Shield is also fantastic but for me it's less involved and a bit more action centric. 

As for that drug planting thing I've think they've unearthed a number of instances now. A lot of people those officers put away are likely to be released. Sounds like something straight from The Wire (were it set now, anyway). 

S1-3 are amazing but for me it went to shit when Marlow came in. He embodies every stereotype that made the show stand out for not being.

2 minutes ago, linkster said:

S1-3 are amazing but for me it went to shit when Marlow came in. He embodies every stereotype that made the show stand out for not being.

Except he's just a very determined and cold blooded gangster, but yeah in his crew it was all about Chris and Snoop, Marlowe was a twat. Season 4 is amazing though.

5 hours ago, Minion said:

Except he's just a very determined and cold blooded gangster, but yeah in his crew it was all about Chris and Snoop, Marlowe was a twat. Season 4 is amazing though.

Never liked four, the kids just bore me to death.

i know what Marlow is about but he’s such a cardboard character, just can’t hold a candle to the original drug dealers who’s incompetence is what made the show so appealing 

i know a lot of folk love s4 but baffles me just like MEU - first movies up to Avengers were so good cos they were will written, coherent entertainment, aside from Logan and Deadpool everything since is the antithesis of the earlier movies - repetitive, dumb, marketing driven crap

Rewatching with my girlfriend at the moment as she’s never seen it before, season 2 is a real drag. The first season has no weak characters, nothing that I don’t want to watch, but season 2 is so dull whenever frank and his family are on screen. Nick and Ziggy are the Sam and Gilly of this world, boring, predictable, unlikable and a drain on the stellar quality of everything happening around them. 

We’re five episodes in and the investigating and police work is only just really starting. The continued threads from S1 are great still, and I like the central mystery of the girls and the Greeks a lot, but damn, I wish the Sobotka family would just fuck off. I feel deflated every time another scene of Ziggy being an incompetent prick or Frank and Nicky having barely any personality starts. Can’t wait for S3.

I genuinely can’t believe S5 is the one most people think is worst.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Broker said:

Rewatching with my girlfriend at the moment as she’s never seen it before, season 2 is a real drag. The first season has no weak characters, nothing that I don’t want to watch, but season 2 is so dull whenever frank and his family are on screen. Nick and Ziggy are the Sam and Gilly of this world, boring, predictable, unlikable and a drain on the stellar quality of everything happening around them. 

We’re five episodes in and the investigating and police work is only just really starting. The continued threads from S1 are great still, and I like the central mystery of the girls and the Greeks a lot, but damn, I wish the Sobotka family would just fuck off. I feel deflated every time another scene of Ziggy being an incompetent prick or Frank and Nicky having barely any personality starts. Can’t wait for S3.

It’s one of the least convincing portrayals of a newsroom I’ve ever seen for a start. A staple of the show at its best Is plausibility, this season has none

4 hours ago, Broker said:

Season two is my favourite! I agree some of the characters are weak and the change in setting is jarring but it's the most politically interesting, especially in a world where trump is president on the back of some of the issues this season lays out. Frank's story is so tragic and heart breaking. 

• Upvote 6

23 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

This article should settle any arguments about which series is the best. Or not.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/03/ranking-every-season-of-the-wire-from-worst-to-best/full-post/

well it's more like

(1=2=3=4)>>5

I also don't approve of them saying "every season" when there are five of them. Next week, every single member of the spice girls ranked in reverse order.

On 10/03/2018 at 08:57, linkster said:

Never liked four, the kids just bore me to death.

i know what Marlow is about but he’s such a cardboard character, just can’t hold a candle to the original drug dealers who’s incompetence is what made the show so appealing 

i know a lot of folk love s4 but baffles me just like MEU - first movies up to Avengers were so good cos they were will written, coherent entertainment, aside from Logan and Deadpool everything since is the antithesis of the earlier movies - repetitive, dumb, marketing driven crap

True Marlow isn't as compelling as Stringer Bell and co, but he's still great. Totally ruthless, single minded, scary. And to contrast him Snoop and the gang.

For me the best seasons are the ones that focus on the drug wars, but each season is great in that its so different and shows aspects of every level of Baltimore. I may not love the schools and newsroom as much as corners but damn they tell some fine stories in those places, and you come out of it feeling richer for it, and more educated yourself about those lives and those systems.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

True Marlow isn't as compelling as Stringer Bell and co, but he's still great. Totally ruthless, single minded, scary. And to contrast him Snoop and the gang.

For me the best seasons are the ones that focus on the drug wars, but each season is great in that its so different and shows aspects of every level of Baltimore. I may not love the schools and newsroom as much as corners but damn they tell some fine stories in those places, and you come out of it feeling richer for it, and more educated yourself about those lives and those systems.

I appreciate that, totally. It’s just it made it feel like a different show.

same with Prop Joe. When we first meet, at the basketball game, there’s some lovely piss taking / bursting the cliche of what a big time street drug dealer would be. By season 4, Joe has become that cliche.

Someone has uploaded supercuts of a lot of the characters scenes.  I found myself watching them the other night. 

Marlo Stanfield:

I really enjoyed the Marlo ones. You get to focus a bit more on how he takes Joe down. Maybe I was distracted by other sub plots at the time (I've binged the entire show twice) or maybe I've just forgotten in the decade since I discovered the show, but it was fun to revisit. Really interesting to see how the rise of Marlo gave Omar purpose too, he was the chaos nobody could legislate for and Marlo took full advantage. 

• Upvote 2

On 13/03/2018 at 02:34, Alan Stock said:

How are Chris and Snoop a contrast? If anything, they're even more terrifying.