Rare TV & Star Fleet

Robo_1

Thanks to the newly polished up Rare TV web site, I've been re-acquanted with a show I used to watch religiously as a kid. Does anyone else remember Star Fleet? To refresh your memory, you can watch the intro here:

Starfleet Intro

Going through it again now, I can fully appreciate why I liked it so much. The villains are truly insidious, and the creatures covering their eyes made them quite terrifying. The puppet work, music, plot line and sfx were a definite step up from similar shows, and it's testament to how well they were put together, that despite their inherent cliqueyness, they are surprisingly watchable - even today. The model work was excellent too, with the insect like enemy ships sporting a genuinely menacing design. Starfleets' Dai-X still brings a big smile to my face too :P

A wealth of information regarding the show can be found here.

Whilst shopping, I also picked up the hilarious Police Squad (which is every bit as funny now as it was then), and In Sickness & In Health, which still offers up moments of hilarity, despite his cruder moments being a less comfortable watch now than it was then.

Without wanting to sound like a complete RareTV whore, if you do fancy ordering anything from them, use the code HOTSUMMER at the checkout, and get 50 percent off your order (lasts until 1st September I believe).

Never saw that before. That black guy has an amazing chin.

TEMPORARY NOTICE:

WE CAN ONLY ACCEPT CHEQUES, POSTAL ORDERS & CASH.

We are currently undergoing merchant account application and will soon be able to accept secure Credit/Debit Card payments.

Well, that's a load of balls.

Never saw that before. That black guy has an amazing chin.

Well, that's a load of balls.

It's funny because I paid with Paypal no trouble, and then the day after that notice went up :lol:

Been going through Police Squad today, and God it's hilarious. The freeze frame moments at the end of each episode, or the know all shoe shine guy - classic stuff :)

:) Its terrifying to learn that the star fleet music didnt actually have lyrics, its gotta be the most insiduous "theme that sounds like the words" ever.

star fleet diddly dum dum star fleeeeet!

They added the lyrics to the end credits :)

What's the deal with that site? They're selling copyrighted material yeah? Surely they can't do that?

I've often wondered that. Their old site was constantly getting hacked and legal threats were thrown at them quire regularly. I know they do take products down the moment they become commercially available.

Still, I've pretty much mopped up everything I was after from them, although I may get Street Hawk at some point :) .

Starfleet the show I watched religeously as a 9 year old all summer long, only for me to be dragged off on holiday overseas with 2 episodes left to go, I never did find out what happened to that weird girl and the sailing spaceship or commander makaras search for the secret weapon :unsure:

Starfleet the show I watched religeously as a 9 year old all summer long, only for me to be dragged off on holiday overseas with 2 episodes left to go, I never did find out what happened to that weird girl and the sailing spaceship or commander makaras search for the secret weapon :unsure:

I have vague memories of the final episode where Dai-X flies into Makara's mothership and beats the shit out of it from the inside. Dai-X music too! The Dai-X music was brilliant! There was two types - the bit where Dai-X joins up and the bit where it stomps around...

edit - I have a very strong childhood memory stirred by watching this of a 3D image of the crew in the X-Bomber cockpit in the Look-In magazine. I must of stared at that thing for ages...!

• 12 years later...

I'd forgotten the sheer magnificence of this show! And that theme tune! It astounds me that Brian May (Queen), Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen), Alan Gratzer (REO Speedwagon), Phil Chen, Fred Mandel and Roger Taylor (too many bands to count) collaborated on a space rock anthem, and yet it never appears in the playlist of 80s/rock channels.

The original is by Paul Bliss (Moody Blues/The Hollies)

The idea for the album came from May's son, Jimmy.

"Star Fleet is the theme tune for a superb TV sci-fi series broadcast in England for kids of all ages; Japanese visuals and British soundtrack including music by Paul Bliss. The heroes pilot space vehicles which can assemble into a giant robot for land battles. The aliens fly fantastic insect-like craft which spawn smaller fighting machines; all intent on possession of the secret of F Zero One. Having been introduced to all this by my small boy, I became equally obsessed by it, and formed the idea of making a hard rock version of the title theme".

— Brian May

The whole series got a remastered DVD a few years ago.. There are still copies available on Amazon etc..

It's amusing that the original series (X-Bomber in Japan) was created by notorious Manga creator Go Nagai - who is much more widely known for his far more violent/adult productions like Devilman and Violence Jack..

it's a big shame we didn't get the planned second series though.. The UK distributor was willing to fund it (the show wasn't successful enough to even screen the whole first series in Japan) until a studio fire destroyed most of the original props, and it was no longer viable.. :(

Fun little sci-fi connection: The voice actors playing John Lee and Caliban/Prof Hagen went on to both star in Aliens (as Drake and Apone.)

Also the bad guy grunts are little insect robot creatures in insectoid fighters who are fighting the Earth Defense Force.. EDF! EDF! EDF!

2 hours ago, sandman said:

Loved this show - but did it have a proper ending - I seem to recall it just finishing without any conclusion

Yes it had a pretty conclusive ending..

A second series would have had to have a fair few new elements.. 

I seem to recall paying a small fortune for a VHS copy of this from ebay a number of years ago......I really should try and find it. I seem to have it etched on my brain that it didn't have a happy ending.

Quite dark for kids tv.

I used to watch this and Terrahawks religiously but I have zero affection for either, compared to Battle of the Planets which has only grown in my estimation since i realised the cringey bits were all western inventions