rllmuk
acidbearboy

We Want Your Soul

On 22/06/2019 at 09:26, Adrock said:

Most of their stuff isn't very good, from what I've heard but I quite like the above song.

Missed this - good stuff!

3 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

Missed this - good stuff!

I thought I posted a longer message with the video a while back.

The guy on the left, leaning on a step ladder and holding a white coat, is the lead singer. He is a van driver for the company I work for, a lovely bloke. Absolutely mental though.

I like to ask him about those years. He is in his 60's now.

1 hour ago, acidbearboy said:

How did you find that out? And has he told any good stories? 

He is a life long friend of the company owner, so I knew a little bit about him before but I've spent an hour or two with him in the van on a few occasions and got talking about music.

No real interesting stories I can remember. I'll have to ask him again. He toured supporting Earth, Wind and Fire in the UK if I recall correctly, it was an overly large ensemble anyway. They recorded the above song at Eddie Grant's studio and I think Eddie's brother wrote it.

On 24/10/2019 at 15:49, Art Vandelay said:

Ooof, that Aquarian Dream is massive. I need to get those albums as a bit of a Norman Connors completist. He's playing the Indigo next year with Lonnie Liston Smith, Marva King and Ronnie Laws which seems like a no-brainer purchase.

Here's a piece of quality. Don Blackman wrote this for his wife's answer machine.

Been listening to the first self titled Aquarian Dream LP since posting that track and it’s really very good. The follow up ‘Fantasy’ is also excellent. Third album ‘Chance to Dance’ I have not been able to get into so easily.

A quick reminder no.2 in case you missed quick reminder no.1  - the annual RLLMUK music poll is now pinned at the top of the music forum - it's open until 31 December, and it would be brilliant to have your votes! You don’t have to have 10 albums - your vote counts, even if you have just one album you’ve liked this year :)

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/313514-rllmuks-favourite-albums-of-2019-list-thread-open-until-31-december/

I like that Art but I’ve run out of pos’s for today :( 

I can’t get enough of this song at the moment.  I’ve had the CD for years but it past me by for a long time.  Tom Moulton takes the sub 3 minute original and stretches it out to 8 minutes of soul perfection.  It looks like the compilation it’s on goes for silly money now unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

That is so nice. I remember adding that compilation to my Discogs and resigning myself even at the time to never owning it.

Here's a bit of a British hustle stepper to slide into the weekend with.

• Upvote 1

Here's a bonus three-for-one post. The incredible original, the sample and the remix. All total belters.

• Upvote 1

On the weekend before lockdown I was in some pretty swanky, pretentious bar in Shoreditch. However, two young lads had some turntables in the corner playing some cracking disco tracks. This was one of them. Such a great tune. Perhaps even wandering into Yacht Rock territory. Dreamy...

• Upvote 1

Discovery of the week is this sweet 1983 jam on Prelude. Unique 5 - What I Got Is What You Need

• Upvote 1

That is such a jam. I seem to have had it in my Discogs wish list for years and not actually bought it yet. It's so cheap too I can't think why. Might rectify that now.

I found this a few days ago when I was browsing for lovers rock bits and pieces and a rich vein of UK street soul presented itself. I love finding stuff like this as it's an artist you might be tempted to look past, from an era chock full of duff 12" packages that seems to perennially sit in the takeaway for free bins in Flashback. There's a dub remix of an Arrow (the Feeling Hot Hot Hot guys!) track that should be awful on paper, but sounds like it was made next week. 

On 03/05/2020 at 10:15, acidbearboy said:

Discovery of the week is this sweet 1983 jam on Prelude. Unique 5 - What I Got Is What You Need

This is just one of many classic/rare 80s disco tracks available as digital downloads from Unidisc at $0.99 each.

Made a thread in bargains too - there's 25% off until May 11th with the code MAMA20.

Prelude put some great stuff out. I have quite a lot of vinyl on that label and recently bought quite a few of those tracks digitally from Unidisc - £15 for 24 WAVs!

I can't really get on with 80s soul as a general rule. Bobby Womack is the exception though, Poet is an excellent album.

• Upvote 2

Had this slow jam classic on repeat for two days solid in order to retain a semblance of sanity, as much as a trippy voyage to an underwater utopia with a mystic lady can maintain sanity:

It’s actually been a new one for me. I gather from its 22M views that it’s maybe one of their biggest songs. I’ve liked the Isleys for years, but how this passed me by I just don’t know. But I’m there with the brothers now. Sailing on that cosmic yacht, palm trees reflected off my star shades forever.

2:35 man :wacko: 

• Upvote 1

That's amazing. It's a new one on me too, but it's from the same LP as this thread's favourite Footsteps in the Dark, so I'm almost certain I must own that somewhere. It's so yachty too, had to check if any of the Toto guys featured, but it is pure Isley. 

There's loads of tracks that would barely register in the UK, then you check on Youtube and every comment is "Ah yeah, remember two stepping to this jam on 98.7 KSAWCE with DJ Oily Shaft in '82. Modern music is crap. Baltimore stand up" and it's got four billion views. 

I've been after this tune for ages. Like a very lo-fi version of Shuggie Otis. It may sound like it was recorded in a toilet trap on a dictaphone, but what great music doesn't. The strings and harmonies are absolutely heartbreaking.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

There's loads of tracks that would barely register in the UK, then you check on Youtube and every comment is "Ah yeah, remember two stepping to this jam on 98.7 KSAWCE with DJ Oily Shaft in '82. Modern music is crap. Baltimore stand up" and it's got four billion views. 

Ha, you get this on Italo Disco vids too. Usually some obscure tune that never really made it, but lives on in the memory of a few thousand people from a small town because a DJ at the local club played it every night for three years.

YouTube music comments are usually a cesspit but I always enjoy those ones. They're like little windows into another time.

• Upvote 2

So true. YouTube comments are mostly a cesspit, for sure, but some of the comments on old rave tunes, for example, are often amongst the most beautiful and moving reminiscence ever written. 

• Upvote 1

I find the ones where people try and reach out to yer man Darren from Rochdale who was last spotted with his brains scrambled in an all night garage somewhere after Helter Skelter '94 to be incredibly poignant. 

• Upvote 2