We Want Your Soul

acidbearboy

On 21/10/2021 at 19:53, acidbearboy said:

Cracking slice of Electro/Hip-Hop from 1984 - as sampled in Honey by Mariah Carey.

Incidentally I read Mariah Carey’s autobiography recently, and it’s brilliant. To say she had a troubled upbringing is putting it mildly, and it gives you real insight into her production chops.

A couple of versions here. Madlib flipped the first for Talib Kweli and contains a lesser spotted honky-tonk piano solo. The Main Ingredient turn things up a bit by adding a bit of low-slung disco flavour to proceedings. Not a dry eye in the house guaranteed.

I was getting really into Bus Stop and Spanish Hustle the other day, so I dug out the only Fatback LP in my vinyl collection - 1977's Man With The Band.

I was a little disappointed to be honest. The opener and title track was a solid groove, but nothing much happened considering the 10 minute duration. Master Booty and Funk Backin' are both similar funky grooves, but neither excited me. Mile High is probably my favourite tune on the LP - a smooth disco groove with some jazzy chord progressions (with a SNES Pilotwings vibe about them), a funky bassline, plus a cool little electronic breakdown in the third minute. I Gotta Thing For You is a slower paced 4/4 groove but I didn't really like it. Midnight Freak has a sleazy funk/disco vibe with some nice organ work and a cowbell. Zodiac Man is not my type of Funk, man.

Decided to check out the rest of Raising Hell from 1975 to see how it compares. It's so much better!

This is mostly a really good album. (Are You Ready) Do The Bus Stop is a funky classic that will never grow old. All Day is a very tasty uptempo groove centred around the horn section, with some nice percussion and some Moog(?) towards the end. Next up there is a solid cover of Put Your Love (In My Tender Care). Groovy Kind Of Day is a sweet and mellow soul/jazz number which I really like. Spanish Hustle is another disco classic. Unfortunately that's where the good stuff ends in my opinion. I Can't Help Myself isn't one of my favourite songs anyway and this cover seems rather uninspired. Party Time closes the album in a fairly average fashion. Still, 4 great songs and a tidy cover out of 7 is pretty good going, so this comes recommended.

Will check that one when I get chance!

Here's some real Soul. The restraint of the long spoken intro really enhances the impact of the second half, where she absolutely belts it out.

The Three Degrees - Maybe, 1970

• 2 weeks later...