The Thing

SM47

I saw the '82 Thing for the first time in 2002 and thought it was the best horror film i'd ever seen (I was 17 then). I still think that today. It's fucking phenomenal. The best horror film ever made.

I watched it for the first time around then too. And also became my favourite horror film.

So many horror films today just concentrate on the cheap scares and gore. The Thing had an undercurrent of pure tension throughout that you just don't see these days..I find it rather upsetting that John Carpenter went on to make Ghosts of Mars. I mean what the fuck happened? :(

• 3 months later...

I watched it for the first time around then too. And also became my favourite horror film.

So many horror films today just concentrate on the cheap scares and gore. The Thing had an undercurrent of pure tension throughout that you just don't see these days..I find it rather upsetting that John Carpenter went on to make Ghosts of Mars. I mean what the fuck happened? :(

Prince of Darkness is great though.

The Thing is the best horror film I've ever seen, too, and part of that is totally because of the mystery around it all. It's a great ending and the fact we just don't know what the hell happened makes it all a bit more terrifying. It's got a horribly oppressive and cloying vibe to it, too, which makes it quite uncomfortable to watch.

It's a real masterpiece.

The Thing had an undercurrent of pure tension throughout that you just don't see these days..

In part, that's because it stays fairly true to the source material - John W Campbell's 'Who Goes There?', an SF novella written in 1938. I originally read that as a kid back in the late 70s and it scared the shit out of me.

The film's ending is different, 'though; far more ambiguous.

when I saw this at the cinema on release it blew my mind, the special effects were so good and the ideas behind them were just so bizarre: a dogs head splits open then it opens like a flower and becomes a pair of clawed hands etc...

Plus it's a great ensemble cast, with a brilliant score by Carpenter, plus one if the best opening sequences of a film. Still my favourite movie.

First time I saw this was late at night on TV. My brother and I had bunk beds and my sister was in the top one, my brother in the bottom one and I was going to sleep on the floor. Flipping through the channels we started watching at the scene where the dog transforms. It terrified me so much when it happened that I practically bounced off the floor into the bed with my brother out of fear over what might be under the bed waiting to get me.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
17 minutes ago, Benny said:

One of those classics I just never got round to seeing, I just watched this for the first time in my life tonight.

Holy fucking shit.

It makes modern CGI fests look like so much garbage. This was utterly masterful.

You lucky fucking bastard.

I'd never even seen clips of it or read any exact plot details before either.

Let me be clear: from this perspective as a newcomer, it could have come out tomorrow and it would still have felt fresh, visually peerless in terms of grotesque effects and utterly utterly compelling.

Arrow Video are currently working on a new 4K transfer of this for home release. I didn't think it could get more comprehensive than the stacked 2-discer Shout Factory put out last year, but I'll buy it again I guess :lol:

26 minutes ago, Benny said:

Let me be clear: from this perspective as a newcomer, it could have come out tomorrow and it would still have felt fresh, visually peerless in terms of grotesque effects and utterly utterly compelling.

That's so glorious to hear. It's so utterly unique in terms of tone, mood, style, casting. The music, the cold cold snow, the creeping slow horror, the punctuations of gore. For me there's almost nothing like it. But, i've seen it over 100 times so you never know if that's just memory goodwill.

7 hours ago, Benny said:

I watched it for the first time this year too and felt exactly the same. Even my wife, who struggles to get on with older films thought it was great.

4 hours ago, GMass said:

Ignoring the joke but I quite liked The Thing Prequel. It didn't quite set the thing as well as it could have and was probably unnessary in the long run but it was watchable.

I doubt I'll ever rewatch that one, not one creature/alien/thing design stands out for me. Whereas with John Carpenters classic, I can close my eyes and vividly see those monstrosities :( 

I'm interested in what we said about the prequel though, I'll search for the thread.

Really liked the last few minutes of the prequel. Nice blend into the Carpenter version. And having a lot of the Norwegians speak in their own language rather than going for "English with a Scandinavian accent" was good too.

But yeah, in general, it felt unnecessary and is inferior to the Carpenter remake.

On 03/07/2017 at 01:17, Sabreman said:

Arrow Video are currently working on a new 4K transfer of this for home release. I didn't think it could get more comprehensive than the stacked 2-discer Shout Factory put out last year, but I'll buy it again I guess :lol:

Ok always interested in new releases of this but this release is a regtion coded release (how is that stilla thing for fucks sake)

I play blurays and dvds on Xbox One (because I just don't bother with a dedicated player anymore) but I am guessing to play other regions I still need a hacked standalone player or region free standalone

what is the best option for playing discs and ignoring region these days

EDIT - I realise this isn't related to the Thing and Iw ill move it to Ask the forum if noone here knows

I remember the 2011 film being perfectly serviceable and completely unnecessary, but that's about all I remember about it other than a couple of nice tie-ins with the Carpenter film (which I have to keep reminding myself not to call 'the original', seeing as it's a remake itself), like the axe in the wall, and the ending leading in the way it does.

The 1982 film is, of course, one of the all-time greats, and one of my absolute favourite films ever made.

I'm not really prone to nerd rage about remakes/sequels, mercifully (more like nerd bemusement), so the only source of annoyance for me with the 2011 film is that for both the DVD for that and the '82 films I have really nice, classy poster-style covers that don't make it obvious from the spine (or even front) which one is which.

On 03/07/2017 at 01:12, Benny said:

So then, the next important question; how did you interpret the end?

Spoiler

I suspect it's all been de- and then re-bunked hundreds of times but, after being completely oblivious the first time I watched it and only noticing later, I always took MacReady looking bloody freezing and Childs looking quite comfortable (and his breath not being visible) as a sign that Childs might be the monster.

Another fun theory is that the bottle Mac hands Childs is actually full of gasoline. He gives it to him knowing that the monster wouldn't know the difference, and that's why he starts laughing after Childs takes a swig and doesn't react.

I also read something earlier where one of the crew suggested that they had a little tell for who the monster was/wasn't when shooting, in that they'd try and light it in such a way that would make the humans have a little glint in their eyes, like a spark of humanity, that the monster would be missing.

And yes, I am going to use all of this as an excuse to go back and watch it again (possibly with the 2011 film, as a double bill), thanks for asking.

Didn't Carpenter refute the breath thing though and say it was complete chance it looked like that? I'm pretty sure he said he left the end completely ambiguous and deliberately didn't put any 'tells' in the film.

My interpretation was thus:

Spoiler

I did pick up on the look in MacReady's eye when he handed Childs the bottle, but I put that more down to apprehension. I actually believe that they are both human, and that the monster is potentially vanquished (though they would not know this), so they are just two men sharing one last drink as they wait for certain death from natural causes, never likely to know if their efforts were in vain, and maybe even likely to turn on each other before the end.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kurt-russell-the-thing-theory_us_56883db0e4b014efe0daaaff

“John Carpenter and I worked on the ending of that movie together a long time. We were both bringing the audience right back to square one. At the end of the day, that was the position these people were in. They just didn’t know anything,” said Russell.