Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Despite the disappointment about the lack of anything new to progress through / unlock I'm enjoying this now. Not enough to play it exclusively but mixing it in with vanilla BC2 is good. But one of the maps - I forget it's name but it's the one that isn't Hill, the one with the temple, or the one with all the paddyfields - is fucking awful on Rush, which is mostly all I play. Almost every game I've played of it the attacking team just gets stuck at the first choke point and utterly destroyed with spammed explosives within a couple of minutes.

I still...keep fucking...with the look sensitivity slider. Turn it up to move faster, can't aim. Reset to default, move like a tank.

I really should just stick to being a default dan. Anyone else can't get it tuned up properly? I do this with every game, must be autistic.

So, is BC2 any good? Got it from the steam sale (along with a bunch of other stuff, so haven't had a chance to play it yet). I have a massive hard-on for BF1942, thought that BF vietnam was very good, but didn't really like BF2. Is BC2 a step towards the MW2 ultra-realism or did they actually try to make it a good game?

I still...keep fucking...with the look sensitivity slider. Turn it up to move faster, can't aim. Reset to default, move like a tank.

I really should just stick to being a default dan. Anyone else can't get it tuned up properly? I do this with every game, must be autistic.

Ive turned it up one notch from default.

Despite the disappointment about the lack of anything new to progress through / unlock I'm enjoying this now. Not enough to play it exclusively but mixing it in with vanilla BC2 is good. But one of the maps - I forget it's name but it's the one that isn't Hill, the one with the temple, or the one with all the paddyfields - is fucking awful on Rush, which is mostly all I play. Almost every game I've played of it the attacking team just gets stuck at the first choke point and utterly destroyed with spammed explosives within a couple of minutes.

Vantage Point, or something? Is it the one where as attacker you have to move down a river?

Ive turned it up one notch from default.

Yeah, I should stick to something like that.

I turned it half way up and it kinda feels at a similar speed to COD, although this is of course and entirely different game with far less auto aim and generally a much longer physical distance to your enemy.

On 360 I play using max sensitivity. It's not as twitchy as you might expect and the improved turning speed has certainly helped me out many a time.

I actually found the PS3 demo to control a little better, as is also the case with 1943. As much-maligned as the DS3's sticks are, they offer slightly smoother, more granular control in the Battlefield games, at least in my experience.

For those still contemplating a purchase I have to say for me it was worth the 1200 moonbucks just for the moment five of us first piled into a Huey on Phu Bai Rush - Ride of the Valkyries blaring from the radio as we screamed over the rice fields watching the unfortunate VC run for cover between little straw huts, each of us swapping positions to rain Gatling Gun death, repair and fire the ocassional RPG. Just an awesome set-piece moment. No-one had figured out to try and shoot us down with hand weapons yet - they were all trying to hit us with RPGs - so we must have had that thing going for about 20 minutes. For some reason the Hueys seem much more enjoyable to fly about in than the Blackhawks, despite their apparent lack of armour.

Although the maps seem quite small, I seemed to spend ages on this trying to find someone to actually shoot, despite having almost full rooms. I guess it comes with not knowing the maps.

Had a brilliant time with it, though. Despite it being little more than a new skin, it does feel quite different. The lack of optics is probably the biggest gameplay change. It's got a really grimy, meatgrinder feel to it. Love it.

This is excellent on Conquest. It seems like thats the mode the maps were designed for. Really good tug of war styule gameplay. Loving it

I've not tried Conquest yet but this seems to be what most are saying. Might see if I can get a few games in tonight and give it a try.

I only played about 8 rounds of this before coming to Lewis for Christmas and leaving my gaming PC in Aberdeen, so I got a mix of Rush/Conquest on some maps and still haven't played all of them. Even so, I really enjoyed Hill 137 in both modes - the sense of place is fantastic, and it's got loads of close-in fighting. Real edge-of-seat stuff.

Is it better than regular BC2?

It's good, but it plays differently. If I had to choose I'd stick with Bad Company 2, simply because it offers more variety in terms of how you can approach encounters. Vietnam feels stripped back in comparison, so much so that it reminds me more of 1943. Initially it felt a bit weird not having the option to pop smoke or throw out motion sensors when I'm capping a station or whatever, but I'm getting used to it. I will say the combat in Vietnam feels more focused on close-quarter fighting than it does in Bad Company 2. I thought if anything the lack of optics for every class bar recon would result in recons becoming even more popular, but I've not seen many in the games I've played so far (I've certainly not been murdered by them with anything like the frequency that I am in Bad Company 2).

What's the deal with the NVA spawn on Hill 137? I ask because there only appears to be one route you can take to access B and C, whereas the GIs have the option to enter a tunnel and drop in on A. Logic dictates that the NVA should be able to get up in to the tunnel from their end, but I'm buggered if I can see how I'm supposed to get up there. I'm hoping I'm missing something obvious, because it feels a little bit imbalanced in the GIs' favour at the mo'.

It's funny, because the maps are anything if one-sided, and it all comes down to the organisation. It's definitely a close quarters game, which is great really. All the sides are well balanced, and it's suitably chaotic. The medic isn't overpowered thanks to the assault class being handy, the flamethrower - which could have been useless - works well as a result of map design and you can even take down Huey's with small arms fire.

And it looks absolutely stunning. I generally HATE the jungle maps on BFBC2, but it's well done here. Totally worth £9 if you love BFBC2.

The forward guns on the patrol boats are hilarious - so long as you're not on the receiving end. Racked up 19 kills from one yesterday. People are slowly realising that you should take out the gunner rather than the entire boat to put a stop to them though :)

I've got 0 interest in Vietnam, but I've had some good games of BFBC2 lately. Played a few games of Conquest with a mate earlier, and we dominated each time. It's really annoying though, how plenty of people are happy running around like headless chickens, and make no effort to set up a decent defence. At one point me and my mate denied the enemy the vast majority of the map just by concentrating on a choke point, calling in mortar strikes, and spotting everything that moved. It was brilliant.

Just unlocked the AN-94 too. Which is damn beastly.

I really need to start using other classes though. I've barely touched anything except assault.

Is there a BF equivalent of the Halo Reach Service Record?

I've got 0 interest in Vietnam, but I've had some good games of BFBC2 lately. Played a few games of Conquest with a mate earlier, and we dominated each time. It's really annoying though, how plenty of people are happy running around like headless chickens, and make no effort to set up a decent defence. At one point me and my mate denied the enemy the vast majority of the map just by concentrating on a choke point, calling in mortar strikes, and spotting everything that moved. It was brilliant.

Just unlocked the AN-94 too. Which is damn beastly.

I really need to start using other classes though. I've barely touched anything except assault.

Is there a BF equivalent of the Halo Reach Service Record?

I think assault is by far the least fun class in BC2. You've got so much fun to come

you can even take down Huey's with small arms fire.

This is what has rekindled my love of Medic more than anything. While you are still unable to deal with tanks at all, as a medic you are now the best weapon on foot against helicopters thanks to being able to shoot them and the RPGs being free fire. Up to 400 rounds of LMG ammo (with the ammo perk) humped into a Huey will fuck it up. I shot two down on Phu Bai and felt like a god.

Also the RPK is a ridiculous fucking gun. Perfectly balanced recoil, the easiest sight to use in the world and 100 rounds without reloading. I Silver starred it in two games. The M60 is dead to me.

These maps seem to rely more than average on good teamwork. The temple one, for example, on conquest. I was in a useless squad who kept spawning on a guy who was in a glitch, meaning they kept getting stuck, yet kept doing it. The other team constantly had patrol boats strafing the shore near B, stopping my team getting out, while keeping people around to cover and repair the boat.

The LMGs seem a little weak in terms of damage compared to barebones BC2, which makes the medic class more reliant on having a good squad around you.

I was tired and grumpy yesterday so was a bit annoyed with the maps, really like this now though.

Yeah, vantage point on rush especially needs good teamwork to clear those chokes.

Just had a great one where we rushed the first point as a single mass, and I kept the reinforcements loked down with the flamer.

Even then, we just couldn't crack the hill village itself, though I did get the opportunity to torch a whole squad in one long burst. Totally worth it.