The Dance Music Recommendations Thread

That new Jeff Mills 4-track is a nice hard Slab of sci-fi. The Occurrence - Sleeper Wakes..

Its got a CD on one side (digitally remastered) and waxed the other so it can be played on a deck - remastered in analog. Its not off his latest LP - has a far more sinster vibe to it.

Theres some new Something in the sky ep (No. 3) too, although their not quite as sinister. Great concept - but nothing like as errie as they should be.

http://www.axisrecords.com/

For anyone fancying a nice spot of trance, the First State album "Changing Lanes" came out this week (£6 on Amazon download!) and is one of the best trance artist albums I've heard in a long time. It starts off with some fairly slow and proggy tunes as you would expect, has some beautifully uplifting vocal tracks and ends with some W&W/Ummet Ozcan/Simon Patterson style techy tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YibDMfa7jSk

Definitely worth a digital purchase at that price, I've already pre-ordered the hard copy CD as it's not out till July 1st I think.

Do you think that Uffie is angry that K$sha has copied her rubbish and is now selling bucketloads of records?

Also, just bought tickets for the LED festival in London in August - Leftfield and Aphex Twin on the same day :quote:

Been listening to too much cerebral techno, what are THE summer bangers of 2010 that will put a smile on my face and make me wish I was in Ibiza?

Yolanda Be Cool & Dcup's 'We Speak No Americano' is apparently being absolutely caned in Ibiza this summer already. I've not even been out to too many clubs here and I'm already tiring of it. It was a top little quirky track but now it grates a little.

If you want bangers just scroll through the past 6/7 pages, it's full of them.

Time for some dirty electro.

A classic already in my book. I've heard it in so many mixes yet it just doesn't get old:

Congorock - Babylon

[yt]4FaEqhh3zh0[/yt]

I saw Jack Beats live last year at one of the local universities and they (well he, only one of them was actually doing anything) were awesome. Dropped some fire on the dancefloor and the place went off. It's hard not to just post everything they've done. Yes this is a Passion Pit remix but trust me on this, it's the balls.

Passion Pit - Little Secrets

[yt]9lVEmdJbXt8[/yt]

The following is the first Jack Beats remix I ever heard and I recall being blown away by it's ridiculousness. Much love for this one.

Project Bassline - Drop The Pressure (Jack Beats Rinsed Out Rave Remix)

[yt]7c_2vFFif8E[/yt]

Another classic... Gwaaan the Dutch

Sidney Samson - Riverside

[yt]V775PPuBc7Y[/yt]

Old but who honestly doesn't like a bit of New Order??

Kurd Maverick - Blue Monday (Vandalism remix)

[yt]at53IWePT-A[/yt]

I saw Danger last December when he dropped some new tracks, when this mixed in I couldn't help but grin. It's such a stomp track and the breakdown in a room full of other people was completely unexpected, everyone was stood around smiling like "what the fuck?!" It was awesome as hell. As a fan I'll be the first to admit it's not his best work but it's solid and charges along like a motherfucker... :lol:

Danger - 3h16

[yt]udI2_4VLDcc[/yt]

Oh man where did these come from? They working on an album again?

Haven't seen any news on an album, I only knew they were back together for some gigs, but had no idea they were making new stuff until the single popped up on my iTunes recommendations.

Dunno how many of you know this track, it's been around for a few months and I can't help but love it.

Douster - King of Africa (Last Japan Sub Bass Edit)

[yt]Gt3qvc6mg-Y[/yt]

Perhaps I'm in the minority here but that is a fucking travesty :facepalm:

Personally i feel Acid just needed to dive down and be more creative at times, although as these new genres have different beats i can see why it may make a comeback. That said, it was abused by Chi-town, then Europe and moreso by the likes of the Liberator crew.

I like mine either like 808-states "Newbuild" (which to me is the definite Acid LP) or Jeff Mills "Dark Matter" where its hard but theres other stuff going on.

Very few people can do a pure 303 track and make it sound good. Richie Hawtin used to be a master...at least creatively.

I must admit, i'm so out the picture these days so i'm not sure who's who anymore.

I've "matured" away from it all now so most modern dance music sounds quite urban to me. I know thats quite pretentious but even though i have an open mind i find much of it fairly dull.

Acid House never really went away though, did it? I guess it depends on how you define it. If you think about the late 80s Hacienda style - that was just a mash of genres really - house, disco, electro, indie etc. That's been and gone. Acid Techno is probably a better definition and has lasted - specifically those raw 808/303 jack tracks that started with Phuture's Acid Trax and have been almost constantly rehashed ever since. I think once the UK and US stopped caring so much, the scene maybe shifted more towards Europe, in particular The Hague scene. Legowelt can knock out some truely amazing live sets with a few old machines. I saw intergalactic Gary play the other month and he was playing a bunch of tough, stripped down acid tracks in between the italo disco stuff. Here's a few non-vintage cuts that have the acid house vibe for me (raw jackin' rhythms and totally electronic sound palettes):

[yt]KJR5RmsdHhY[/yt]

[yt]-aY0DCYhNi0[/yt]

[yt]80Kd90DTk3Y[/yt]

[yt]U4LI7uJNlv8[/yt]

[yt]MRwwktzgkVQ[/yt]

[yt]6rB7THhOixk[/yt]

Not on youtube but this track from Nathan Fake is absolutely amazing. So intense. Undoing the Laces.mp3

(Sulfer sounds pretty good by the way, Dim.)

tumblr_l4xpz0kkP31qzu84ro1_500.jpg

That Moonoo track is fucking wicked, love it.

In unrelated news, this Masters at Work mix from 1995 is well worth listening to. It also introduced me to this track which I've been rinsing on Youtube this afternoon:

[yt]LskLCqBmdfY[/yt]

It's a new one to me, although I'm sure it's a classic as it's SO DAMN GOOD.

Of the new Chemicals stuff I've heard I'm not really impressed. Of their output there's been several tracks that have blown me away and the new stuff isn't really doing so at the moment but at least there's already a remix that I quite like:

Chemical Brothers - Swoon (Boys Noize summer remix)

[yt]uVhprqT-jdI[/yt]

I'm not really a fan of that remix by Boys Noize. On the other hand, this absolutely blows the original out of the water:

[yt]jvS_QnM10kU[/yt]

And heres a track I've been loving, and something that'd sound INCREDIBLE on a good bass system

[yt]9nds8duR4WE[/yt]

Also guys I need your help. I was in Krakow the other day and I heard this DJ play so much of this really dirty, heavy electro, but it had this almost dubby mainline, like all wupwup wup wup wup wupwupwupwup.

Anybody know what that stuff is called, and have any songs to start me off with?

Also guys I need your help. I was in Krakow the other day and I heard this DJ play so much of this really dirty, heavy electro, but it had this almost dubby mainline, like all wupwup wup wup wup wupwupwupwup.

Anybody know what that stuff is called, and have any songs to start me off with?

I'm gonna say that was Jack Beats most probably, they're the most prolific users of that lovely wubwubwub sound in their tracks. Even if it's not them, Jack Beats is a very good place to start. Fairly sure I've posted them up but nobody took any notice... Try this minimix they did for Annie Mac, so many songs in 5 minutes but plenty of bassline wobble on them. It's usually referred to a 'fidget house'. If you ever get a chance to go see Jack Beats, do so. They played as headliner on a dubstep night (yeah, I know...) at one of our local universities and tore the place to pieces.

[yt]eEReOUA6aws[/yt]

Jack Beats - UFO. Dirty dirty wubwubwub

[yt]nHJ0eAhrLa8[/yt]

Jack Beats - Get Down. wubwubwubwubwub

[yt]Z3fh-yZSWoU[/yt]

TC - Where's My Money? (Jack Beats remix)

[yt]-aAbIkaB7Ck[/yt]

Lady Sovereign - Got U Dancing (Jack Beats extended remix). Weeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooh wubwubwubwubwub

[yt]0XhgBNCSGNQ[/yt]

AC Slater - Jack Got Jacked (Jack Beats remix)

[yt]WZp4v2R8N9E[/yt]

And last but not least, my favourite tune they've remixed... Starts off with a nice big warm bassline then dips out and comes in with a really evil wobble. Fucking amazing played loud on a decent system :eyebrows:

Passion Pit - Little Secrets (Jack Beats remix)

[yt]9lVEmdJbXt8[/yt]

I'll admit, I'm a fanboy but the tunes are fucking superb. Enjoy digging through those.

I highly recommend Dan Deacon. A few weeks ago he was my personal highlight of Bonnaroo– the best of the best. It's great crazy trippy dance music that's complex and original and fun. I can't stop listening to it.

If someone knows how to embed video in the forum I hope they do it for the above link. My other recommendation is Quintron and Miss Pussycat, the brilliant New Orleans dance organist and also famed inventor of the Drum Buddy.

I highly recommend Dan Deacon. A few weeks ago he was my personal highlight of Bonnaroo– the best of the best. It's great crazy trippy dance music that's complex and original and fun. I can't stop listening to it.

If someone knows how to embed video in the forum I hope they do it for the above link. My other recommendation is Quintron and Miss Pussycat, the brilliant New Orleans dance organist and also famed inventor of the Drum Buddy.

Pyowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

[yt]vFlBJ1xZK10[/yt]

I do love me some Quintron.

[yt]sUdO7twIizY[/yt]