IGNORED

Exciting Wiitails

The Liberal Elite

Oops, sorry mate. :)

No probs! That post might have been a miscalculation!

Loving the avatar :)

Anyways, I'm just amazed by the horror over the price. I really don't get it. The Wii is going to eb £220 cheaper than the PS3. As John mentioned earlier, the 360 is artificially priced and, it seems, still not doing MS that much good. To me £179.99 just doesn't seem that much.

Likewise the US price thing. What, electronically, isn't cheaper in the US? It's exchange rates. £ strong. $ weak.

My issue is with the controllers. I'm someone who likes to have 4 controllers and that is going to be pricey.

So...it's Nintendo's fault that there's a strong £.

What else can we blame them for? I'd say the Iraq war and maybe the fact that there are starbing people in Africa?

In a way, I'm quite glad about that. It's made the upfront shipping/paypal/customs cost of a US console more justifiable, and so I think I'll be happier in the long run.

GBPUSD hasn't been at 1.428, the Nintendo point conversion rate, for a good four years. It's hardly a blip.

I can't remember seeing it in the thread so far, so Delorean me if you must:

Play are doing remotes for £25, nunchucks for £13 and classic controllers for £13.

So a remote + nunchuck is £38 delivered. Which I believe is £3 more than a standard 360 controller.

Just, y'know, saying.

Play are doing remotes for £25, nunchucks for £13 and classic controllers for £13.

So a remote + nunchuck is £38 delivered. Which I believe is £3 more than a standard 360 controller.

Just, y'know, saying.

Well that's much more reasonable. The RRP put a nunchuk with remote at £45, which was just an absurd price.

In other news, Amazon are doing games at £39.99 across the board. They're claiming the list price is £49.99 though. :)

Oh FFS, it doesn't come with a component cable, just composite. And the official component costs $60. FUCKING HELL.

Is that confirmed? I thought I heard composite mentioned, but was kind of hoping I was mistaken.

At this rate Nintendo can release a PREMIUM Wii pack with a component cable & extra controller for about... ooh, £279.99. (Um, that's a joke, before anyone does the calculations.)

Oh FFS, it doesn't come with a component cable, just composite. And the official component costs $60. FUCKING HELL.

I thought this machine was supposed to be really affordable? Fucking hell.

Anyway, this pricing has obviously pissed me and others off. Most people have been assuming around the £150 price-point for some time, so £180 is a big kick in the teeth. I'm sure those people who are all 'ooh, the Xbox 360 and PS3 are more...' - I don't give a fuck! US and Japan pay a notable amount less than us. It's principle, for fuck's sake! Fuck the 'it's only £30' shit! That's a good chunk of money for some people!

I think it kind of makes sense thou on Nintendo's part, they can sell the first lot of Wii at a higher price as they know those expecting and looking forward to it are happy to pay. Then as the word gets around with regular folk (which takes time as people) they lower the price and reap the benefits, as well as the extra cash from those inital assured sales.

Price of the controllers is still a bit high.

I recall cutting costs on my N64 controllers by having two official ones and two 3rd party ones, of course this meant there was endless wingeing from 2 payers every time we played 4 player games so in the end I had to just stump up the extra to by 4 of the official ones £120- ouch!!

So in that context maybe the prices for the wii controller arent so bad, but once again it isnt really a mass market friendly pricing structure. Look how few of us ever got to play crystal chronicles 'properly' if Nintendo had for once been prepared to sell somthing at 'cost' price we wouldnt be worrying about similar fates befalling the Wiis games.

Just, y'know, saying.

8 quid.

If you compare, look at Play's prices for 360 controllers too instead of RRP :)

It just gets less and less appealing, unfortunately, with the inevitably even *more* exhorbitant UK price for a decent video output the latest kick in the balls for the UK gamer. Any guesses has to how much an RGB cable will cost? Doubtless more than the £17.99 Microsoft's would set you back if you needed to buy it seperately. It looks almost certain that you'll be paying not an awful lot less than you would for a 360 Premium Pack by the time you get all you need for a satisfactory experience.

Wii + Wii Sports - £180

Superior video cable - £25

Second Controller + Nunchuk (a necessity if you want to take advantage of one of Wii Sports' offerings in multi-player) - £45

The only positive is that its glaring obvious initial UK failure will see a fairly swift price drop - and hopefully not just on the price of the unit, but bringing the cost of a full controller to a reasonable price, too. Given that Nintendo are very obviously making a hefty profit on the console itself, it wouldn't have killed them to offer the remote *and* nunchuck together for £30-ish.

Do GC cables work?

I really hope my GC RGB cable will be compatible....am I dreaming?

As for the price, I'm dissappointed more than anything. I was giving my girlfriend the spiel about it being £130ish and how it'll bw great fun for the kids etc and she was sold. Now I've told her it's £180 and she's moaning about how much these 'bloody game things cost' and it's tipped the boat a bit. I'll still get one mind! :)

And yes I am blatantly 'under the thumb'. :)

I recall cutting costs on my N64 controllers by having two official ones and two 3rd party ones, of course this meant there was endless wingeing from 2 payers every time we played 4 player games so in the end I had to just stump up the extra to by 4 of the official ones £120- ouch!!

Same here :) When I was at Uni myself and a friend spuked a large part of our grants, thank you tax payers, on an N64 with Goldeneye but we had to settle for 3 official and one thrid party controller. The person that won the round had to play with the third party controller in the next round! The loser was rotated off. Great days...and nights...then early mornings...