IGNORED

Exciting Wiitails

The Liberal Elite

I kid you not, the sole reason to pick up the Wii version and not the cube version because the graphics are exactly the same as the cube version, ie ropey as fuck)"

I get lept upon for expressing dismay at the game's relative ugliness yesterday. Now, I'm aware that I haven't played it but that does suggest that I might not be as blind as I was alleged to be when describing it as the ugliest Zelda game, relatively speaking, since Adventure Of Link.

warszawa - you are a man obsessed.

go play oblivion some more and get it our of your system.

That's a very interesting thread, and touches on the concerns I have over the controller. Interesting concept....but will it work well enough?

I think I need to buy a Wii in order to know for sure....if I don't get on with it, there'll surely be someone I can fleece quite easily soon afterwards. One thing's for sure - if you need to be 6ft away for it to work well then the entire thing is broken beyond repair and would make it a pointless purchase for me. Same if you have to stay dead still when playing certain games - in fact, that would break it for anyone who wants games to be an enjoyable and intuitive experience.

Another quote from that thread, from someone who's actually *played* Zelda:

"Of the games I played, Metroid was easily far and away the most impressive. Zelda was great fun (the sword play in it is utterly SUPERB, I kid you not, the sole reason to pick up the Wii version and not the cube version because the graphics are exactly the same as the cube version, ie ropey as fuck)"

I get lept upon for expressing dismay at the game's relative ugliness yesterday. Now, I'm aware that I haven't played it but that does suggest that I might not be as blind as I was alleged to be when describing it as the ugliest Zelda game, relatively speaking, since Adventure Of Link.

You were right about those grass textures. You sure as hell have an annoying posting style though. Always sounds like a magazine quote or something quite objective when you're being completely subjective.

e.g.

One thing's for sure - if you need to be 6ft away for it to work well then the entire thing is broken beyond repair

You were right about those grass textures. You sure as hell have an annoying posting style though. Always sounds like a magazine quote or something quite objective when you're being completely subjective.

e.g.

Thank you. :)

And I was right in pointing out that it would be broken if that were the case.

No, you weren't.

See?

But I was. What's the point if you *have* to be a minimum of 6ft away from the screen if you want it to work properly? That's imposing yet another needless restriction on you and potentially making it awkward for some people, depending on the location of their television. I don't think you'll have people rearranging their rooms to accomodate a Nintendo console.

I sorta want Wii to be a success (and, hey, I've sold a lot of my Nintendo collection to pay for one) but realistically I don't think it's going to be anywhere as successful as the DS. What we've seen so far in terms of pricing just isn't inspiring confidence.

When the general public sees that they will need to fork out £45 for a second or more controller, that isn't going to leave them thrilled them about Nintendo's new "affordable", all-crowd-round-the-TV console. :) And as far as we know, the 360 'Core' pack might be the same price as the Wii by December.

I'll hold off until a) it's confirmed that the PAL console will output 480p/Component signal and b.) prices get reduced. First Nintendo console since the Super NES I won't be getting at lauch.

But I was. What's the point if you *have* to be a minimum of 6ft away from the screen if you want it to work properly? That's imposing yet another needless restriction on you and potentially making it awkward for some people, depending on the location of their television. I don't think you'll have people rearranging their rooms to accomodate a Nintendo console.

Yet another needless restriction? Like what else?

I also don't think making it 'potentially awkward for some people' consitutes broken beyond repair either.

So, the average lounge isn't bigger than 6feet? If most people sit closer than 6feet from their TV, I'll give you a pound.

Super-mega-catchup post, go!

What I meant was, despite all that, I can't see it taking off with non gamers in the way it probably would in Japan. Sorry if this didn't come across.

Gotcha, and agreed. All I was saying is that if they market it right, there's a possibility of something more in this country; using the Amstrad Emailer as an example - everybody PC-savvy who uses one goes ¨this is shit¨, yet it had an estimated million units in use at one point (source). Just capturing a small part of that market would get the Wii into places where consoles have hitherto been unseen.

Funcking Buddha

Now there's an aspect I haven't seen a sculpture of.

http://www.gamevideos.com/

Good god, Wario is going to be incredible.

I'm wiping tears from my lions-with-crowns-on-filled eyes. Lovely.

Not being really big on online stuff, I could actually easily import the Wii from the states.

But coz I've never imported a console before, I'm a bit wary. All I need is the console and a step down converter, right?

But will American sites let UK customers order one? Are there restrictions on this at launch?

I did look, but I didn't see a reply to your questions - apologies if they've already been answered.

You'll need a step-down only until they launch a UK PSU, at which point it's a straight swap (there's no way the Wii will have an internal transformer).

Going from the numbers Nintendo are talking about, there shouldn't be a problem in picking up consoles. It'll be a struggle to get included in the first batch that VG+ and Tronix get, but you should be able to get one this side of christmas.

edit : actually, you can see it better here :

zelda%20006.thumb.jpg

zelda%20019.thumb.jpg

70% less cliffs with composite signals. It's a disgrace!

Do you guys know how hard it is trying to catch up on all this Wii info and discussion when you haven't been on the internet in 5 days?

Anyway, £180 is too much IMO. I was expecting to get an extra controller and another game for that. Now I'm looking at nearly £300 for a launch day Wii with 2 controllers and a couple of games.

I've just watched some of the new gameplay videos though and they look very good.

After being convinced of a launch day purchase I'm now not certain. I guess like most people the answer will be given when I actually get my hand on the Wii

Zelda looks LUSH

Idiots who are saying it looks shit because of some ground textures on some still screenshots need their eyes checked

That video is a little small to be able to really get a feel for the catastrophic effects of the floor texturing though; I've heard reliable reports that this is the worst looking zelda since the adventures of link.

I do think he has a point. Imagine Nintendo bringing that controller to, say, the 360 so that you can have Nintendo-joy *and* a cutting edge console? It would be a wonderful thing in its own right.

Of course, he doesn't have a point. He's deliberately trolling. Personally I'd ban anyone that can't understand the difference between a third-party controller and a standard controller.

I can't understand why people on the one hand want Nintendo to drop out of the hardware market but simultaneously praise Microsoft for entering it. A far more convincing argument is that maybe Microsoft could have spent that $4 billion actually making some software for us to play instead. With that much outlay they could have been the biggest game company in the world and we'd have actually got something out of it.

I'm pretty sure this point has gone back and forth many times in this thread now, but just in case:

You see that crowd of Mii avatars? I want everyone I know to be up there, not just the Nintendo dorks. An impulse purchase price would achieve that much more easily.

The stuff announced today about how the front end is supposed to work (Connect24, Wii messaging, games interacting with the calendar, etc) is an aspect that has really got me excited about the Wii. They've really put some thought into the function of the machine, not just as a dumb terminal for playing stand-alone games.

Is it so hard to see that they're going to fleece the early adopters (the Nintendo dorks like you and I) and then settle into a campaign of 'get everyone and their mam' playing like they did for DS? The buzz will grow and then every kid worth his salt will have one. A scenario occurs where it's not selling - then a price drop/ramped up ad exposure.

I'd have done the same if I was Nintendo. They're not there to dispense joy to people, as much as we'd like that to be true. It's business.

Of course, he doesn't have a point. He's deliberately trolling. Personally I'd ban anyone that can't understand the difference between a third-party controller and a standard controller.

I can't understand why people on the one hand want Nintendo to drop out of the hardware market but simultaneously praise Microsoft for entering it. A far more convincing argument is that maybe Microsoft could have spent that $4 billion actually making some software for us to play instead. With that much outlay they could have been the biggest game company in the world and we'd have actually got something out of it.

Beacause Nintendo cannot compete in the hardware stakes and will produce a shit machine. It is a question of money. Nintendo is better at introducing new ways of play than actually supporting a beast of a machine with software, hardware and stuff. They have always had problems giving us (plenty) software for the consoles, post N64 era.

And i do not know how can you accuse someone of trollling and then saying something so stupid like:

"A far more convincing argument is that maybe Microsoft could have spent that $4 billion actually making some software for us to play instead. "

Have you actually been living in a cave?

Not sure if anyone has posted something similar but someone on an American site posted this about costs after inflation:

actual launch prices:

nes - $200

snes - $200

n64 - $200

gcn - $200

adjusted for inflation:

nes - $364.60

snes - $293.39

n64 - $254.68

gcn - $225.64

I'm not trying to justify the price (i think a second controller should be included for £180) but I just thought it was interesting.

I was reffering to a next gen machine and all the costs associated with it, you drunk!

Im sure Nintendo could have produced a machine equally as powerful as a 360 or PS3 and charged £280/£425 for it.

But whats the point - they know a 3 horse race about realistic graphics will leave a casuality so they have decided to target a different market and happily be machine number 2 for the non-casual and machine number one for the casual.

Im sure Nintendo could have produced a machine equally as powerful as a 360 or PS3 and charged £280/£425 for it.

But whats the point - they know a 3 horse race about realistic graphics will leave a casuality so they have decided to target a different market and happily be machine number 2 for the non-casual and machine number one for the casual.

Except they don't have the price-point nor the games to be #1 with the casual. Their main target was, according to them, people who don't play games at all, and I don't see too many Women & Grandparents suddenly taking a plunge on the minimum £210 you need to make this a worthwhile console.

If they were so intent on launching at the somewhat outlandish £180, they should have offered different packages. A "single-player" set with, perhaps, Zelda and the Wii Sports package for the same - maybe a fiver more - albeit with an additional controller.

And i do not know how can you accuse someone of trollling and then saying something so stupid like:

"A far more convincing argument is that maybe Microsoft could have spent that $4 billion actually making some software for us to play instead. "

Why do you think it is stupid? I'm just think that the people who are saying "I don't want to buy a Nintendo console I just want them to release games for the 360 and PS3" are stupid. If you want only a single console then a far better choice is a Sony one with Nintendo and Microsoft making games for it. Then that $4 billion MS loss could have been invested in games instead of propping up console sales. My point is that I don't think you can have the first argument without also critising Microsoft's entry to the console market. Otherwise it just comes across as fanboyish (which of course 100% of the people on this forum are).

Personally I don't care how many consoles there are because I'm not a tramp/student and I can see the importance of differing consoles, especially from a company as risk-taking as Nintendo.

Have you actually been living in a cave?

No, I have an Xbox and 2 360s. Enlight me, what games have Microsoft actually made that haven't just been games that were going to be released on other platforms anyway before Microsoft bought the respective companies?