IGNORED

Exciting Wiitails

The Liberal Elite

Except they don't have the price-point nor the games to be #1 with the casual. Their main target was, according to them, people who don't play games at all, and I don't see too many Women & Grandparents suddenly taking a plunge on the minimum £210 you need to make this a worthwhile console.

Yes but I also expect the first year the Wii will be mainly bought by gamers/early adopters... The price will fall and then it will be picked up by that second market, like the DS.

Obvously this time will also be spent producing games. Animal Crossing, Brain Training and Nintendogs i'd say in about 9 months time.

Why do you think it is stupid? I'm just think that the people who are saying "I don't want to buy a Nintendo console I just want them to release games for the 360 and PS3" are stupid. If you want only a single console then a far better choice is a Sony one with Nintendo and Microsoft making games for it. Then that $4 billion MS loss could have been invested in games instead of propping up console sales. My point is that I don't think you can have the first argument without also critising Microsoft's entry to the console market. Otherwise it just comes across as fanboyish (which of course 100% of the people on this forum are).

Personally I don't care how many consoles there are because I'm not a tramp/student and I can see the importance of differing consoles, especially from a company as risk-taking as Nintendo.

No, I have an Xbox and 2 360s. Enlight me, what games have Microsoft actually made that haven't just been games that were going to be released on other platforms anyway before Microsoft bought the respective companies?

Didn't the same happen with the Square and Sony back then? You can't critice how games are being made, but be happy that there are great games to play in your console. There is great software in 360 in just a year's time and more is coming. If you can't accept that well, then look for something else. But it is clearly illogical accusing Microsoft for not producing first party titles like Nintendo. Who can compete with Nintendo in that area anyway?

If people say that they do not want to buy a Nintendo console and want them to have release games for the others is clearly stupid i agree. Ninty is far too important as a platform holder and the Wii proves it. But Microsoft wants to be a serious platform holder too, so it makes sense for them to try and build console sales.

They said as much themselves.

Ah, then it must be true... :)

Are you actually implying that Nintendo had the means to produce and support a next gen technical beast (and giving us the wiimote gameplay because the one does not exclude the other) but decided not to? :)
Ah, then it must be true... :)

Upgraded to the batshit mental list.

Yes but I also expect the first year the Wii will be mainly bought by gamers/early adopters... The price will fall and then it will be picked up by that second market, like the DS.

Obvously this time will also be spent producing games. Animal Crossing, Brain Training and Nintendogs i'd say in about 9 months time.

That's a fair point, though I very much doubt this will capture the market in the way the DS did, even with all things being well price-wise. There's a big difference with 'non-gamers' when it comes to something they can carry around with them and play in short bursts than having to hook something up to their TV and make it a constant part of the furniture. I'm not convinced it'll convert to the home stage, though for any chance whatsoever they definitely need a hefty price drop in the not too distant future.

Beacause Nintendo cannot compete in the hardware stakes and will produce a shit machine. It is a question of money. Nintendo is better at introducing new ways of play than actually supporting a beast of a machine with software, hardware and stuff. They have always had problems giving us (plenty) software for the consoles, post N64 era.

And i do not know how can you accuse someone of trollling and then saying something so stupid like:

"A far more convincing argument is that maybe Microsoft could have spent that $4 billion actually making some software for us to play instead. "

Have you actually been living in a cave?

And you accused the other guy of trolling? Fruit loop.

Also living in a cave would be preferable to playing most of whats been released on the 'next gen' 360, I seriously DO NOT understand how someone can have a go at Nintendo's output then praise the totally mediocre PC lite softwate that microsoft have allowed for release.

I'm frankly disgusted that people can look at something the size of the Wii and blatantly call it 'shit' hardware because its not 4 million Gigahertz with a triple SLI GPU which can do a res of 24000x16800. I'd rather developers started to remember to make games fun again than give us PC tech demos.

If peoples idea of a good console is the 360 then excuse me for not giving a shit.

Also living in a cave would be preferable to playing most of whats been released on the 'next gen' 360, I seriously DO NOT understand how someone can have a go at Nintendo's output then praise the totally mediocre PC lite softwate that microsoft have allowed for release.

I'm frankly disgusted that people can look at something the size of the Wii and blatantly call it 'shit' hardware because its not 4 million Gigahertz with a triple SLI GPU which can do a res of 24000x16800. I'd rather developers started to remember to make games fun again than give us PC tech demos.

If peoples idea of a good console is the 360 then excuse me for not giving a shit.

I did not critcize the Wii. I love it!! I just said that the presence of Wii does not make the 360 look like a console with no software. Which is clearly subjective. If you think that the next gen 360 has shit games, it is clearly your opinion, therefore... ah you know the rest.

I find that the 360 has many good titles and i am looking forward to the Wii as well. Yes. I can do both!

I clarified what I mean. That I think it is bizarre to call for the exit of one hardware manufacturer (who also happens to be the greatest developer of games in the world) while also simultaneously praising the entrance of a new manufacturer and hoping said company will release games for the latter's console.

Okay, I wrote it a bit shit again but hopefully it makes sense what I'm getting at.

That's a fair point, though I very much doubt this will capture the market in the way the DS did, even with all things being well price-wise. There's a big difference with 'non-gamers' when it comes to something they can carry around with them and play in short bursts than having to hook something up to their TV and make it a constant part of the furniture. I'm not convinced it'll convert to the home stage, though for any chance whatsoever they definitely need a hefty price drop in the not too distant future.

To be fair I definitely get that a home console isnt a handheld.

I think maybe I am being a bit more optimistic than I should be. I really want the Wii to be a sales success as that will mean more developers will jump on board and more goood games will get made (like the DS).

Not out of fanboyism but for more variety among the games i'll be playing next gen (Current gen now? or do I have to wait for the PS3 to be out for that to happen? :) ).

Not sure if anyone has posted something similar but someone on an American site posted this about costs after inflation:

actual launch prices:

nes - $200

snes - $200

n64 - $200

gcn - $200

adjusted for inflation:

nes - $364.60

snes - $293.39

n64 - $254.68

gcn - $225.64

I'm not trying to justify the price (i think a second controller should be included for £180) but I just thought it was interesting.

Thats a completly pointles comparision, electrical consumer goods have all gone down in price over the past 30 years or so as the processes involved in manufacturing them have become more streamlined, volumes of sales have increased and chip yields have risen.

I think that's a matter of preference though. It's not inconceivable to dislike Zelda, particularly when Nintendo break the game ala Wind Waker. Perhaps they don't find the fun but limited Luigi's Mansion great, preferring stuff like Halo.

I'm struggling to see anything of great interest for me on Wii apart from Zelda, Mario & Wario Ware. The 3rd party software shown has been unimpressive, with the apparently awful Red Steel the flagship early release. I wouldn't have expected it a year ago, but there's a lot more available on the 360 that is of interest to me. Dead Rising is great, GR:AW is very good (great in multi-player), Oblivion is great (if you like that sort of thing - if you don't, it's easy to see why it would be the most boring thing ever) Gears Of War, Lost Planet, Halo 3....one expects excellence from all of them. I'm not going to be able to play Pro Evo or the surprisingly excellent Test Drive: Unlimited on Wii either.

Putting aside debate over the controller, they both offer different experiences, I don't think one is less valid than the other. There's a conceited arrogence stemming from many Nintendrones that they have a monopoly on fun, that if don't favour making a cutesy little man jump around colourful environments over destroying an alien bombardment or assassinating people ala Hitman. If they feature good play mechanics, if they are compelling but most of all if they are enjoyable to play then they have succeeded.

The worst thing for gaming would be if Nintendo were the only company standing - history tells us that when they have a monopoly (or close to....) they stifle third parties, they censor, they treat developers like shit. The advent of Sony forced them to change their business practices for the better, however much it grates with the people who believe Nintendo to be the only games company worth bothering with.

It wouldn't really be any better if Sony or Microsoft were the last man standing. Because, of course, however much I may disagree with some of Nintendo's decisions, it would mean they weren't making hardware, which would likely mean a decline in the quality of their software (even though it's seldom as good now as it was in their golden era, in my opinion).

I'm disappointed, I think it's overpriced in Europe.

Not for me obviously, but psychologically for the market they are aiming at - £180 is not an impulse purchase, £149.99 would have appeared far more attractive.

I also think they should have treated the WiiMote & Nunchuck as one controller and priced it nearer to £30.

I appreciate they are not a charity and have probably done loads of research into the maximum price the market will stand, but I still think they'd have shifted far more units at a lower price point.

More worryingly I heard Dawn Paine on radio 5 yesterday lunchtime and she singularly failed to convey the concept of the Wii beyond continually declaring that 'It's awesome!'. With idiots like her in charge it stands no chance over here.

They gave her an incredibly hard time over the name, but then again we weren't too impressed when we first heard it, but now that I'm accustomed to it all criticism seems undue.

It would be more expensive. It would encourage devs to make more ports. It would be bigger. It would compete more with the 360 and PS3. Etc.

How more expensive? Wouldn't you pay as much as you paid a 360 for a console that offers it's power and the wiimote?

About the publishers we do not know. Why can't Nintendo grab some exclusives or break some exclusives like Microsoft then and have more games and wii games?

You tried to argue that Nintendo don't have the capability to make a machine with as much grunt as the PS3 or the 360.

I said that they could no support it like the competion... With millions on marketing, purchase companies, break exclusives... They don't have the bucks!

So when a bill turns up at Redmond, Billy nips down and takes a cool mil out of his current account to pay it?

If Bill has so much, just imagine what Microsoft as a company can do. Nintendo can not compete straight ahead with Microsoft in money terms. Which they would have to do, if they chose to produce a beast of machine and try to support it..

I can't believe that you cannot see the stupidity of your own post.

Ninty can't compete with MS in terms of powerful consoles cuz Gates has a bigger bankaccount?

Fucking hell.

Because Microsoft has more man. Not Bill. That was an example! What is wrong with you? They could make it, they just could not support it to be a heavy contender. They never have man! Not even against Sony.

I am talking about support. You are clearly reading what you like. Pls, wake up.