IGNORED

Exciting Wiitails

The Liberal Elite

Pass the sick bag. It's like all American games journalists are constantly at alert status to write love letters to Nintendo about how they don't care about making money.

"If high-definition was so important, then every $600 PlayStation 3 should come with a 17" widescreen HDTV monitor free."

"If the average person really needed high-definition anything then why the hell is YouTube so popular?"

I'm not really fussed about Wii's lack of power. It's annoying seeing people suggest that it's in the same league - in terms of the visuals it can produce - as the 360 / PS3, that's all. It reeks of Nintenditis, an affliction which mowed down many a person in 2001 - only then the comments were about just how much more powerful Nintendo's console was than its main opposition, and how that made it better!

Nobody has said that, it's all in your head. Another person who sees "Nintendo fanboys" everywhere then rather than just people who disagree with him.

An expert mode where you can plug in the nunchuck seems like the most obvious thing ever. I don't understand why nintendo are so loathe to add it.

Super tennis came out over a decade ago damn it and I want a sequel.

There'll be a proper tennis game out I'm sure, which will do what you've said.

Thinking about the wobbly looking cursor, I think its probably irrelevant.

When I use a mouse I'm probably conciously controlling the mouse - deliberately moving it and clicking on something - about 50% of the time. The rest of the time I'm reading text or looking at the results of my actions, and at that time my hand muscles rest and the mouse is inactive. Becuase its resting on a tabletop, it doesn't move, so the cursor remains static. It would be obvious from watching a video of the cursor when my hand is moving the mouse and when its resting.

With this type of pointer, when the user is not actively pointing at or clicking something on the screen, their wrist muscles will probably rest slightly, resulting in a wildly wobbly cursor on the screen, rather than a static cursor with a mouse at rest. It might be slightly distracting, but its not functionally that important because the user's attention is on some text or image or anything other than the cursor at that point. Then, when the user becomes concious of the need to use the cursor again, their wrist muscles spring into action, their attention focuses on the cursor which then moves where they need it to, and all is well.

It probably looks awkward to a spectator, but maybe works fine for the user.

Pure speculation, of course.

While £180 is a reasonable price, I recon it's a tad too much for the impulse christmas buyers, £150 would have done the job, and that's what was really encouraging me to get one, but at £180 ... I'm not so sure anymore. <_<

But why does it have to be an impulse buy? Lots of parents are going looking for consoles this xmas and they have a choice of 2. I think the retailers could have a massive influence in how they decide to push stock, Wii is the new one so has the perceived kudos that a "new" item brings with it.

DS has also been massive and I'm sure that will push some people to buy the Wii. I'm amazed at how many of my daughter's friends have DSs and I know lots of families where they have more than one DS in the house.

I know they just stuck the best bits in there, but that ExciteTruck looks pretty quality.

What's the deal with the online side of things? Did I hear there aren't any online games at launch? Or are some of the launch titles (ExciteTruck, maybe Monkey Ball) going to be online at some point in the future?

I think we should all be glad of the extra competition Nintendo is giving the games market. Despite their low market share with the GC they are plugging away at the home console market trying to be innovative. It was a sad day when Sega pulled the plug on hardware development. When a player in such a small market drops out then gamers lose out.

Although it was generally a disappointment the gamecube did provide some great gaming moments last gen. The Wii looks to promise more despite the relative lack of horsepower. I may not buy one immediately but it's likely, if it's all that's promised, I will.

The DS injected a bit of life into gaming for me. If the Wii can do the same for the stagnant home market then more power to Nintendo. If nothing else it will force Sony and M$ to try harder.

The price point is, I think, quite clever. They will capitalise on the new console launch period then price drop to somewhere nearer the profit margin point. It makes a lot of economic sense and I suspect their market share this gen will be greatly improved.

<_<

I know they just stuck the best bits in there, but that ExciteTruck looks pretty quality.

Yeah, that bit where the truck flies up and you can steer to either land on the track below or the Great Wall of China thing snaking over it was the first time I've actually gone 'Woah!' at a next-gen game. F-Zero on the Wii should be absolutely ridiculous.

Thinking about the wobbly looking cursor, I think its probably irrelevant.

When I use a mouse I'm probably conciously controlling the mouse - deliberately moving it and clicking on something - about 50% of the time. The rest of the time I'm reading text or looking at the results of my actions, and at that time my hand muscles rest and the mouse is inactive. Becuase its resting on a tabletop, it doesn't move, so the cursor remains static. It would be obvious from watching a video of the cursor when my hand is moving the mouse and when its resting.

With this type of pointer, when the user is not actively pointing at or clicking something on the screen, their wrist muscles will probably rest slightly, resulting in a wildly wobbly cursor on the screen, rather than a static cursor with a mouse at rest. It might be slightly distracting, but its not functionally that important because the user's attention is on some text or image or anything other than the cursor at that point. Then, when the user becomes concious of the need to use the cursor again, their wrist muscles spring into action, their attention focuses on the cursor which then moves where they need it to, and all is well.

It probably looks awkward to a spectator, but maybe works fine for the user.

Pure speculation, of course.

For "mouse mode", they really should have followed the way the Gyration mice work - you hold in a "trigger" button on the underside with your index finger whilst you want the cursor to move, then release it when you want the cursor to stay where it is.

What's the deal with the online side of things? Did I hear there aren't any online games at launch? Or are some of the launch titles (ExciteTruck, maybe Monkey Ball) going to be online at some point in the future?

Nothing online at launch, but a few of the games are likely to use the Connect24 thing for downloadable content and some developers have implied that online multiplayer is something that can be added after launch.

Nothing online at launch, but a few of the games are likely to use the Connect24 thing for downloadable content and some developers have implied that online multiplayer is something that can be added after launch.

Wicked. I'll take that as a definite that Super Monkey Ball will be online, then if it turns out not to be true I'll cancel my pre-order.

Hands up for Warszawa to never speak about anything again?

See, it would be far more constructive if you attempted to argue some of my points rather than make comments like that. You may think my views are completely outlandish and utterly incorrect but I haven't resorted to petty insult.

I'm not convinced that Nintendo's (a company who, and you agree with me on this because you have to, because it's the only correct way of looking at it, haven't had an unqualified success in the home market since 1992) new console is going to point the way forward flawlessly. I'm not convinced everything about it is perfect, from the potentially unintuitive controller to the hardware itself. Perhaps it will be, I don't know....I'll need to buy one first, not decide on whether I think I'd like it or not by looking at it on a shelf.

Just a joke. In another thread some Game\Gamestation employees were admitting their favourite ways to treat paying customers like dirt. One of them was picking and choosing who got a 360 when they were scarce. If they didn't like the look of you it was 'sorry mate we're sold out'.

Oh right, I wondered if someone from the forum had been asked to leave a shop for wearing a string vest and dirty trousers or something. I prefer that situation. <_<

Trauma Centre is a much, much better example of the remote being used as a pointer.

http://download.gamevideos.com/6055/gv.com...ter_640x360.mov

No shaking, precision control. I'm genuinely surprised it works that well, I thought it would be a lot less precise than using the stylus on the DS version, but it actually seems to be perfect.

For "mouse mode", they really should have followed the way the Gyration mice work - you hold in a "trigger" button on the underside with your index finger whilst you want the cursor to move, then release it when you want the cursor to stay where it is.

I'm not being confrontational or trying to make a snidey remark, so don't get me wrong, but don't you think they would have tried that already? Seems like they've been working on this for a while, and that the solution they've come up with is probably the most appropriate. Any reason you think they may not have adopted your method? Is it relatively new or does it have drawbacks?

See, it would be far more constructive if you attempted to argue some of my points rather than make comments like that. You may think my views are completely outlandish and utterly incorrect but I haven't resorted to petty insult.

It's the whole "broken record" arguing that has already been done to death in a plethora of Wii topics before, mostly complaints about the technical specs of the machine. Nobody is acting like the Wii is up to the levels of the PS3 or 360 - but acting like the the only one the notice is insulting to everyone's intelligence (with velos illustrating this well). The rest of us are either satisfied enough by what's on offer or upset at the price - both relevent approaches due to the recent new pricing/release info available.