Exciting Wiitails

The Liberal Elite

They don't actually need demo pods in game stores though, that's the thing. They need them in places like, I dunno, Debenhams and John Lewis. Or, more likely, in shopping centres as part of this tour.

I'm not arguing against that at all the more demo's the better. They need to cast the net as far and wide as possible so to speak. I think the Wii will sell itself more in Japan but its the western markets that will need more of a push.

I think a demo pod would be much more powerful in showing what it can do. Imagine a bunch of grannies playing Wii sports against each other in a shop. The nintendo marketing dept should even hire some grannies to demo the pods.

Maybe it would. That's not what I'm saying. I dispute the idea that the Wii is a 'hard sell'. I think the concept is extremely appealing to practically everyone and they 'get' it right away, just from seeing the early videos with no game footage at all.

Demo pods might be better but they aren't this critical missing piece of the puzzle. I think the DS was a far harder sell - most people didn't 'get' that one till they actually played the games.

They don't actually need demo pods in game stores though, that's the thing. They need them in places like, I dunno, Debenhams and John Lewis. Or, more likely, in shopping centres as part of this tour.

Good point. They can't assume that the people they're aiming to court with the Wii are likely to go into uninviting, sweat-stinking GAME stores of their own volition.

Maybe it would. That's not what I'm saying. I dispute the idea that the Wii is a 'hard sell'. I think the concept is extremely appealing to practically everyone and they 'get' it right away, just from seeing the early videos with no game footage at all.

Demo pods might be better but they aren't this critical missing piece of the puzzle. I think the DS was a far harder sell - most people didn't 'get' that one till they actually played the games.

I don't think that they can sell the Wii in the same way as the DS especially here. I think the DS is different in that it will not be competing for TV time (you can just whip it out and play anywhere) and the Wii will be more expensive so it naturally will be a harder sell and even though Nintendo say they are not competing against PS3/360 they will be compared to one another.

Good point. They can't assume that the people they're aiming to court with the Wii are likely to go into uninviting, sweat-stinking GAME stores of their own volition.

Blockbuster. That's a pretty good crossover location, what with all the new instore GameStations.

I don't think that they can sell the Wii in the same way as the DS especially here. I think the DS is different in that it will not be competing for TV time (you can just whip it out and play anywhere) and the Wii will be more expensive so it naturally will be a harder sell and even though Nintendo say they are not competing against PS3/360 they will be compared to one another.

Ho hum. I only have anecdotal evidence but I've never seen anything sell people on a concept like that initial Wii video. Everyone gets it - everyone likes the idea. The only doubters are traditional gamers who think too much about it and are understandably attached to traditional controllers.

I'm not being confrontational or trying to make a snidey remark, so don't get me wrong, but don't you think they would have tried that already? Seems like they've been working on this for a while, and that the solution they've come up with is probably the most appropriate. Any reason you think they may not have adopted your method? Is it relatively new or does it have drawbacks?

Waving a mouse in the air and clicking on stuff accurately is very difficult to do. When you click, you move the mouse, hence the reason for having a way to say "stop moving the damn cursor even if I wave my arms around like a loon" - as Gyration have done it, or "no worries - we'll make the damn buttons so big you won't miss them" approach taken by Nintendo.

Let me see if I've got this right:

We (the UK) get a new console plus a game, a few weeks after it's launched in the rest of the world, for £180 and people are complaining?

The word that comes to mind (and I think I'm spelling it correctly) is - 'pfffffffffftttttttt'.

well said. a next-gen machine with major new innovations, cheaper than anything comparable on the market and people still moan. so it's cheaper in America, you don't fucking living in America you tits. if it's so much of a problem then bugger off over there and take yer moaning with you.

Waving a mouse in the air and clicking on stuff accurately is very difficult to do. When you click, you move the mouse, hence the reason for having a way to say "stop moving the damn cursor even if I wave my arms around like a loon" - as Gyration have done it, or "no worries - we'll make the damn buttons so big you won't miss them" approach taken by Nintendo.

Have you watched the Trauma Centre video?

http://download.gamevideos.com/6055/gv.com...ter_640x360.mov

Ho hum. I only have anecdotal evidence but I've never seen anything sell people on a concept like that initial Wii video. Everyone gets it - everyone likes the idea. The only doubters are traditional gamers who think too much about it and are understandably attached to traditional controllers.

This. Totally agree. My wife loved the concept video and except for her DS she is not a game player. Because of the DS she is very interested in this machine. When I show her she can browse the net and check the weather on it as well I know she'll be using it which will be a first for a games console. The remote really does make it user friendly, I was doubtful when they first started pitching it like this but it's true.

Have you watched the Trauma Centre video?

I don't see the relevance.

The point is rather simple. It is very difficult to press a button on a controller and maintain the on-screen location of the pointer whilst that controller is sensing movement in three dimensional space.

Probably the basis of the game for all I care.

I don't see the relevance.

The point is rather simple. It is very difficult to press a button on a controller and maintain the on-screen location of the pointer whilst that controller is sensing movement in three dimensional space.

Probably the basis of the game for all I care.

It's relevant because that's exactly what they're doing in that game.

I've watched the video.

The level of control on the Gyration mouse is an order of magnitude finer than that.

Right, but Wii doesn't need that level of control, and Trauma Centre is easily the best demonstration of a game which requires precise control. If it can cope with that without the need for a button to lock the cursor then I think it's safe to say no game will need one.

This. Totally agree. My wife loved the concept video and except for her DS she is not a game player. Because of the DS she is very interested in this machine. When I show her she can browse the net and check the weather on it as well I know she'll be using it which will be a first for a games console. The remote really does make it user friendly, I was doubtful when they first started pitching it like this but it's true.

Was she not worried about the console power relative to the 360 and PS3?

Yeah, that's what I said...

She says she isn't going to buy a 180 quid console to spin the globe, because the earth is spinning fine on its own.

Dumb cow.

Was she not worried about the console power relative to the 360 and PS3?

Selling my wife a console that never sleeps will be a harder job. "IT CONSUMES POWER AND WILL CATCH FIRE WHILE WE SLEEP!"