IGNORED

Exciting Wiitails

The Liberal Elite

I've got S-Video, but only ever put the N64 through it, so can't really judge the quality that would offer, but surely in this day and age of high definition and increasingly stunning graphics, having the final picture horribly undermined is as valid a reason as any for not getting one.

Most people have their TV's so horribly set up that you could use a cheese string to plug it in and the picture quality wouldn't suffer too much. It's all relative really. BTW S-video is generally pretty good and only marginally worse than RGB.

So I take it there is going to be no vga cable?

The only way to plug into a monitor is going to be a shitty vga box thingy?

You can get a Component>VGA converter but they generally aren't that cheap. Plus 480p can look real shite on some LCD's, especially older ones without a decent refresh rate. Also won't be able to play non-progressive games on a monitor...

So I take it there is going to be no vga cable?

The only way to plug into a monitor is going to be a shitty vga box thingy?

I think it's a bit soon to panic over this stuff. I think its fairly likely that the console will come with a crappy composite cable (which is pretty shabby of Nintendo) but it's equally likely that some decent options will be available for extra dosh. I can't see them leaving out RGB (via Scart) when that's the most common standard in Europe.

No but the PAL gamecube could. Although PAL games generally didn't enable progs can for stupid reasons.
Interesting. I just remembered that the PAL 'Cube can output progscan with the help of Freeloader, come to think of it.
I might just import due to the prog scan thing. All my GC games are Jap or US. I dont trust Nintendo Europe and feel they wont include a prog scan opt on most games if any.
I'm hoping for some confirmation of whether or not it 'does' progscan. I'll import if the EuroWii doesn't. But then importing is risky, I doubt Nintendo would let you use the Virtual Console service with an imported console.

I'm still kicking myself for not getting a US 'Cube and games. I thought, there was no need, as the PAL 'Cube had games with NTSC modes and could output RGB. Didn't consider the future, that I'd actually be able to own a TV with Component input soonafter. :o

Only through progressive scan and higher res.

480i looks the same via a component cable and rgb scart. In my experience sometimes the latter looks a little less soft and slightly better.

On my Toshiba CRT, the GCN looked a lot better through Component in 480i than it did through RGB. Depends on the chipsets etc I guess.

On my Toshiba CRT, the GCN looked a lot better through Component in 480i than it did through RGB. Depends on the chipsets etc I guess.

Depends on the cables too. Xbox looked worse on component than rgb lead on my picture frame telly

I also had this other crt which kicked the toshibas arse in 480i via rgb scart

It's not legal, doesn't have all the games available from one central source, and needs a handy geek to get it set up for anyone to use it.

Not hard though, is it?

Actually, mine came with it all set up so who knows. Regardlessley I never play the old games because *Shock* I think they're mostly rubbish, I honestly can't believe the time and money I put into them. I think this virtual console stuff will quite quickly get old. But I could be wrong.

It's not legal, doesn't have all the games available from one central source, and needs a handy geek to get it set up for anyone to use it.

Also getting all those games for free severely devalues them. At least when you pay for them there's a decent chance you'll want to play them through, you filthy, thieving communists.

The Wii plus an extra controller, a chosen game and playing games with your family on christmas comes to around £260.

360 Premium with game (PGR 3/Oblivion?), component cable, extra pad and sitting in a dark room on your own at Christmas: £300.

Fixed :o

Also getting all those games for free severely devalues them. At least when you pay for them there's a decent chance you'll want to play them through, you filthy, thieving communists.

It's very true, got so many roms on my pc its unbelievable, how much time have I invested in them? very little....

Now I've got PC hooked up to the TV fairly simply and just made myself a 2 player SNES and Genesis Pad interface I'm loathe to buy those games on VC. If they improve the framerates on the N64 games i'll be tempted otherwise that's better on the PC too, controller issues aside.

Regardlessley I never play the old games because *Shock* I think they're mostly rubbish, I honestly can't believe the time and money I put into them. I think this virtual console stuff will quite quickly get old. But I could be wrong.

i thought that was just myself. nostalgia doesn't last long for me.

True! One of the worst things I have bought was a supercard for my DS lite.

Non of the games get played much. I think I will sell it!

Actually, mine came with it all set up so who knows. Regardlessley I never play the old games because *Shock* I think they're mostly rubbish, I honestly can't believe the time and money I put into them. I think this virtual console stuff will quite quickly get old. But I could be wrong.

Nah, I think you're mostly right.

There are a few games I can imagine paying for, like Mario 64 (considering my N64 is tucked away somewhere and the DS version is gash) and Castlevania Symphony of the Night (on XBLA). But most of the stuff I already got on GBA, DS or one of my emulators.

Now if Nintendo really wants to sell me 8 bit or 16 bit games, they should make it possible to upload the games to the DS. I haven't got the patience to play those games on my TV for any longer than 5 minutes at the time, but on handhelds they still work.

Now if Nintendo really wants to sell me 8 bit or 16 bit games, they should make it possible to upload the games to the DS. I haven't got the patience to play those games on my TV for any longer than 5 minutes at the time, but on handhelds they still work.

I hope they do that. It worked fine on Animal Crossing GC.

Not hard though, is it?

It depends on the games. The huge majority of old games are a disappointment to revisit. However, there are still loads of gems out there and, so long as they choose the right games, it will be a nice feature.

For me, Super Mario Kart is still the best in the series and remains supremely playable today.