Exciting Wiitails

The Liberal Elite

Thanks for the help guys. The controller whacking didn't work (though it didn't help my frustration). I don't have a second controller to test. I'll go out tomorrow and pick one up.

Cheers

The same thing happened to mine a year or so ago, noticed it when playing Excitetruck. I tried various things but in the end I just returned it to Nintendo and they replaced it for free. Give them a call.

• 1 month later...

hey there. My joytech wiimote charging station thingy is jiggered. I've noticed for a while it doesn't seem to recharge fully, and often needs to be 'reset' (unplugged and replugged) to actually start charging at all. The other day I noticed the plastic was a bit melted round one of the charging prongs too! Ulp.

Anyway, has anyone got a two-remote charging station that they would say is tip-top? Ideally one where you can actually replace the batteries themselves should they get crappy after some time.

• 1 month later...

You can take them off just fine.

And you can leave the Motion+ connectors connected all the time anyway, what's not to like?

Oh, and since nobody replied to my message 3 posts up I got an Energizer inductive charging one in the end. Means I can charge them with the rubber covers on or off, motionplus on or off, just have to lay the controller on the pad.

I think my launch Wii is dead :(

It only seems to turn on 1 times out of 10, and when it does manage to get to the channel screen I get errors about it not being to access Mii data. I don't seem to be able to turn it on at all now.

Any advice, or should I resign to getting a new one?

• 1 month later...

The VC in the Wii download scene in general has been absolutely woeful this year and some of last IMO. I used to turn on my Wii every Friday and chec the shop channel but now I find there's no point as there will almost certainly be nothing good on the VC or Wii Ware. I mean, when was the last time we got a Master System release or a cracking Neo Geo game?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nintendo has announced a new Wii bundle for Japan.

The 'Mario Red' design, which commemorates Super Mario's 25th anniversary, will be bundled with Wii Remote Plus, a controller that combines a standard remote with Wii Motion Plus, according to Kotaku.

It will also come pre-installed with a special version of Super Mario Bros., with coin boxes showing the number 25.

The bundle will be available from November 11 for ¥20,000 (£152).

red-wii.jpg

Looks pretty cool!

Yep, very nasty looking shade of red, lets hope it looks better in the flesh. However, a wiimote with motion+ built in that's the same size as the orginal wiimote, now thats more like it. Shame it will be given a stupid retail price.

• 3 months later...

:unsure:

Is this the Wii thread?

I'm about three years late to the party, I know. Looking at my download history on the Wii store tells me that much, but I've finally decided to try to give my console some love. After spontaneously picking up SMG2 and being glued to my DS over Christmas it seems no game bar Nintendo will satisfy me at the moment.

So, I'm wondering what your top recommendations for the system are? I'm finding it quite difficult to browse online shops' best sellers lists and things as they're plagued with the usual "family" and fitness stuff. I want the best games the Wii has to offer.

I've already got Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros, Kororinpa and Mario Kart. Also got Twilight Princess Gamecube version.

Also, should I be getting an SD Card if I want to download a significant number of things?

And does MotionPlus add anything to games like Mario?

So, I'm wondering what your top recommendations for the system are? I'm finding it quite difficult to browse online shops' best sellers lists and things as they're plagued with the usual "family" and fitness stuff. I want the best games the Wii has to offer.

I've already got Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros, Kororinpa and Mario Kart. Also got Twilight Princess Gamecube version.

Also, should I be getting an SD Card if I want to download a significant number of things?

And does MotionPlus add anything to games like Mario?

Get an SD card when you start running out of space, which probably won't be for ages. Or get a 4GB one for £5 from play.com - that'll last forever.

The MotionPlus doesn't add anything to games that don't support it. Very few currently do - but hopefully this'll increase. It suffers a bit from the marketbase splitting effect of non-standard hardware.

Games I like on the Wii off the top of my head:

• Boom Blox
  • Super Smash Bros Brawl
  • Ghost Squad
  • House of the Dead Overkill
  • Excite Truck
  • Raving Rabbids TV Party
  • Battalion Wars 2
  • de Blob
  • Pikmin (with the pointer)
  • Geometry Wars: Galaxies (though the DS game is better)
  • Little King's Story

But, you know, I'm sure many will be along shortly to say it's got no hardcore games for it.

If you want to see what the Wii can/could do for conventional games, try:

* Dead Space Extraction, as good a story-based lightgun game as I've ever seen

* Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, which is a barrel of inventiveness

* Metroid Prime 3, which after some achingly banal design in the first couple of hours really comes alive and handles beautifully

* Resi 4, which is Resi 4 with great controls