Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

Aye, it's been dealt with in the thread a few times over the past week or so. It's mainly about increasing rep and doing selected activities. Do lots of strikes in the Heroic playlist - which are matchmade, obvs - and pick up rep from them (and the odd unique Boss item). Pop lots of 3oCs while you're doing them (or doing anything really) so you get the occasional exotic, which will be 1-6 light above your current LL and eventually go up to a max of 335. Pop a Vanguard booster while you're at it. Do patrols on the same basis, and obviously pick up Vanguard bounties along the way. Every Vanguard and DO/NM/FWC package you get will have an item 1-6 light above your current LL (up to 330). 

Do the weapons tests every week for the Gunsmith. He'll give you a >330 weapon for every rank you make with him. You can get nearly a full rank every week.

Do CoO at as high a level as possible, preferably Tier 3. You'll need to find some randoms to join in with. At Tier 3, on your rune, you'll get an artefact again up to 335 max.

PoE at max level (not CoE) is matchmade, so do that. Pop more 3oCs for boss exotic drops up to 335. Pop HoJ rep boosters to get a Variks package per HoJ rank which gives items at up to 330LL.

When you're high enough you can do CoE solo. I did this the first week CoE came out. I think I was about 320 already by that point. On an easy week (this week is one) it's quite doable solo. You'll get lots of drops while doing it, and a 30k and a 90k on your card will get you an armour piece and weapon 1-6 levels above your LL, up to a max of 335. Again, do plenty of 3oCs.

Do IB when it comes out. Same deal with the possible >335 drops after each match, and the exotics if you've popped 3oCs.

Do Shaxx's weekly bounties. Every week you can get an item up to 335 from one of those.

There are lots of ways of getting to 330, or even 335, without raiding at all. I haven't even completed a full raid since the Taken Spring, and I'm 335 on all three characters. Sure, I've fire teamed a lot - because it's far more fun and, yes, quicker to do some things - but I've also soloed a lot. Strikes, Shaxx bounties, Patrols, weapon testing, CoO with randoms, all these and more are perfectly soloable. It takes a bit of time but it's perfectly doable. Myself, I'd start with some strikes, a Vanguard rep booster and some 3oCs - this week's Arc/Small Arms modifiers make them piss easy. (Super Obvious Good Advice: use Zhalo. Zhalo all day, every day.)

7 minutes ago, boxoctosis said:

Thanks. One more question - does Faction include Vanguard or do I have to join that Emo Death Cult brigade or somesuch.

Join. A. Faction. Or. You'll. Get. No. Faction. Rep. And. Therefore. No. Faction. Package. There is no downside to doing this whatsoever. 

Expecting to get rewards without participating in all the rewards schemes would probably scupper your progression a bit. It'd be a little like hoping to get the benefits of a large international trade organisation without joining it - wholly unrealistic, and a sure way to penury.

44 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Yeah I guess. The very thought of it puts me off, to be honest. Challenge Mode was what made me stop raiding in the first place - I've never much cared for any of the hard-mode raids (because I am rubbish and die a lot and rely on better players to basically carry me to max light) and the thought of having to do all the fights in a very specific way felt like a step too far. I'm 327 now so it should be a bit easier, I suppose. 

We'd probably (maybe) be able to get a team together for this Sunday night. Or maybe Monday. I quite fancy the Oryx challenge this week, just for old time's sake. We'll definitely be doing at at some point this summer just to get our hand in again pre-RoI. You do get a bit rusty. You'd be welcome to join us, but I imagine 'your lot' will be doing the same at some point, so I doubt you'll have any real difficulty getting all the Moments done before 20 Sept.

20 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Join. A. Faction. Or. You'll. Get. No. Faction. Rep. And. Therefore. No. Faction. Package. There is no downside to doing this whatsoever. 

Expecting to get rewards without participating in all the rewards schemes would probably scupper your progression a bit. It'd be a little like hoping to get the benefits of a large international trade organisation without joining it - wholly unrealistic, and a sure way to penury.

No no no, I thought if you joined a faction you didn't get any Vanguard points (?). As in, I expect to get Vanguard rep rather than Faction rep. I have no idea about some of the mechanics of this game even after 150 hours of it.

And I'll pretend I didn't see that second comment!

You still get full Vanguard rep, but an extra 50% also goes to your chosen faction. So the faction levels up at half the speed of the Vanguard - you don't lose anything. This was different in Y1, where it was a straight 100% either way.

I don't think you get faction packages until you hit rank 3. Not sure, it's been a long time. But the sooner you start, the better.

11 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

You still get full Vanguard rep, but an extra 50% also goes to your chosen faction. So the faction levels up at half the speed of the Vanguard - you don't lose anything. This was different in Y1, where it was a straight 100% either way.

I don't think you get faction packages until you hit rank 3. Not sure, it's been a long time. But the sooner you start, the better.

Ah. Hadn't spotted the Y2 change. Fuck's sake. Thanks though. 

Yeah, I need to do hard mode and get those fragments.  There's probably enough of us to be able to do it over to he course of a week, if we're a bit rubbish.  Which I am.  

Will post something up in the online folder later.

Is there a better way to work out what fragments you do or don't have now?

I know at the time there was a tracker app, but that was account based not character (which I were I assume all 50 need to be)

I don't think anyone ever made an app that let you track which character had found which fragments. Which was annoying for anyone tracking them down across alts. I assume (although I don't know) you're going to need all 50 on one character to get the Triumph.

Bear in mind even in the best case that you need to complete challenge mode on that challenge week to get that fragment, so that's three raid runs needed (one to Warpriest, one to Golgoroth, one to Oryx. Daughters and Totems do not have an associated fragment) over three weeks.

Cheers for the advice Gorf.

It's good there's so many ways to level now - I didn't realise the opportunities were so plentiful - but I don't know that I have that dedication again. I mean, what if they nerf everything for Rise of Iron?

https://destinyghosthunter.net let's you see fragments by character. 

BUT

It appears to be down right now. I know Bungo had some issues with the API yesterday so could be to do with that. 

Edit

Scratch that, it's up but seems like it's not pulling through data. Bungie added a security layer to the APi yesterday and it's caught a lot of people out. 

25 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Is there a better way to work out what fragments you do or don't have now?

I know at the time there was a tracker app, but that was account based not character (which I were I assume all 50 need to be)

It shows you them per character on Bungie.net. Log in, select a character, choose Progress and scroll to the bottom.

Give me £1000.

18 minutes ago, tnman said:

It's good there's so many ways to level now - I didn't realise the opportunities were so plentiful - but I don't know that I have that dedication again. I mean, what if they nerf everything for Rise of Iron?

Well, they're raising the light cap, so they kinda will. All our stuff will probably be overtaken by blues again, like it was when TTK dropped. It's the way it works.

There's no need to do anything really. It's just there for if you want to do it.

Suppose a group of geriatric gamers (and a young'un) had been HM Kings Fall at light 315, but never got Oryx down were thinking of coming back for Mot...

At the new light levels - how hard is Oryx now really?

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

Suppose a group of geriatric gamers (and a young'un) had been HM Kings Fall at light 315, but never got Oryx down were thinking of coming back for Mot...

I'd also like to know this :D

I *think* 10 points of Light is about (about) one level. So in theory, going from 315 to 330 should make it noticeably easier. Having said that, I think King's Fall (more than the previous two, at the time) is mostly about teamwork and rhythm and an effective strategy. So co-ordination and practice are probably more important.

You can't really quantify 'how hard is Oryx now really', especially to someone who's never done Oryx before (on HM). It's not just the LL, is it? It's the pace and co-ordination needed to master the raid mechanics themselves that's the tricky thing. For example, as you'll know if you've tried it, there's no pausing between runs in HM Daughters and Oryx - the relic appears and you have to get to the platform immediately. So if you can't do that slickly, they fact that the enemies are a lower LL isn't really going to help.

Just on pure LL terms though, if you're 330+ you are a higher level than any enemy in the raid now, whereas before, at under 320, you'd be lower than some of them. So that makes a significant difference to the damage you do to and take from them. But again, it's not really possible to quantify the ease of the raid just because of that. I struggled in some teams to do HM VoG last year when we were all over levelled, because some less experienced players just weren't used to the mechanics and teamwork, but with other teams at the same light level in the same era it was an absolute breeze. And a couple of months back we all struggled with Totems even over levelled as people had just forgotten what to do or were simply sloppy.

So yeah, it will be a lot easier than it was last winter, for anyone. But 'how hard is Oryx' is a question you have to decide for yourselves.

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

As one of those geriatrics, I think it was more the weird bugs (teleporting ogres etc) that got us down on Heroic Oryx, plus the lack of a real incentive. 

I've been practicing pushing AFK people off ledges in anticipation of getting the band back together. 

We did all of HM up to Oryx and had some attempts - we just never had a good run (no one dying to stupidity, no glitchy ogres, not always doing enough damage to chest etc)

If it was "nah light makes little difference to damage done/taken" i'm not sure we'd keep throwing at it to get the stars to align :)

It'll be a piece of cake then - as long as no one dies to stupidity, there are no glitchy ogres, and you always do enough damage to his chest.

Seriously though, it's no different to how it was. You just do a lot more damage and take less. Stupidity, and glitches, and poor timing, still play a part. You just don't die as easily and it takes fewer shots (one, actually) to snipe-headshot a Knight. That means it's easy, but it's also still hard if you don't do it properly. I still think our easiest run ever was the one we first got right back in December(?). Whenever the first Oryx challenge came out. Because we were so determined to do it and so we played better. It was like MBo says - we had the incentive. After three successes, we kind of wilted, and it started getting harder again. We'd probably fuck it up royally now because we simply don't give a shit.

13 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

I need the hard raid and the challenge mode fragments. I'm 335 but the kicker is I'm on Xbox so would have to find a group to carry me which is unlikely I imagine 

I got you, I'll help you through after the weekly reset. 

Bloody stupid Crucible quest get 6+ auto rifle kills is driving me nuts!! I can believe it's just not happening!!! Tried Zhalo, Shadow Price and a few others but getting out gunned each time by scouts and hand cannons! Even close range the Autos just don't seem to cut it on normal crucible for me!

I had great success during Iron Banner with Suro Regime, stand back a bit and take it slow.. What's driving me nuts at the minute is the seven precision kills in crucible for the First Curse quest.

Mayhem Clash has been amazing fun this week, Sunsinger with sticky grenades is giving me lots of laughs!