IGNORED

Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

The fantasy novel-type maps on the mission selection screen show areas that you don't visit in-game, so I would guess that the expansions will be more likely to open up new locations on the existing planets rather than provide entirely new ones.

That's the impression I get, at least at first. But there's a video of Jonty Barnes talking about how they'll end up going to other planets as the rich fiction *cough* unravels.

I think the Polygon review is fine, it makes some good points and fair criticisms, even though this is shaping up to be my GOTY.

VN1X has seemed to dislike this game for quite some time, I don't know why, but it's hardly like there are a lack of other shooters to choose from and I'm sure they'll be very happy together.

If I had to guess, I'd assume there are a few more locations coming. It seems like the fiction stops for the moment at the asteroid belt, so I guess we'll see expansions for Mercury and The Reef. But I also assume there'll be plenty more content that just does more with what we've got already - there's loads of places on just Earth that haven't been used yet.

But yeah, we'll see I guess!

I know there's the Golden chests I can find, but the green ones, I've only seen (I think) the one in the tutorial mission, and one in a Story on the Moon. Are they really rare?

I've found a couple. They always seem to be tucked away hidden. There's one in the first Earth zone near to where you enter the building for the very first story mission. It's right at the top of one section of the outer wall. You need the double jump to get to it. I spotted another one on the moon tucked away under a ledge at the end of a mission.

There's 5 per zone. If you check the background before you launch a mission, it'll tell you how many you've unlocked. Like this (to the right).

The fantasy novel-type maps on the mission selection screen show areas that you don't visit in-game, so I would guess that the expansions will be more likely to open up new locations on the existing planets rather than provide entirely new ones.

That's the impression I get, at least at first. But there's a video of Jonty Barnes talking about how they'll end up going to other planets as the rich fiction *cough* unravels.

I wouldn't mind new continents on the existing planets, they had a whole bunch of concept art for places on Earth other than Old Russia for example, but if the DLC simply unlocks areas that are already built into existing levels as we currently have them (if it's just a key rather than actual content, in other words) then I think that would be an absolute piss-take considering how light on content and variety the base game is, at a premium price.

Question about loot - it's been fairly thin on the ground for me so far. I picked up a bunch of it doing patrols on Venus and the Earth Strike, but otherwise it's been patchy.

I know there's the Golden chests I can find, but the green ones, I've only seen (I think) the one in the tutorial mission, and one in a Story on the Moon. Are they really rare?

The green ones move around, and will be in different locations but there are a lot of them if you stop and look around. Normally in caves, on ledges etc.

If anyone's getting frustrated with getting a load of Engrams and them all being Uncommon or similar - or just nothing with the Light stat - then it's worth getting them decrypted anyway. Once you reach Cryptarch rank 3, you get a message from the postmaster with three blue ones, and I got some Legendary gauntlets out of it. Now Level 22.

Question about loot - it's been fairly thin on the ground for me so far. I picked up a bunch of it doing patrols on Venus and the Earth Strike, but otherwise it's been patchy.

Regular chests are all over the place, you just need to sniff them out. After a while you'll intuit where they might be, but to get you started:

• I believe they only appear in public areas, where you can potentially bump into other players; you don't have to be on Patrol, just in one of the shared spaces.
  • They have a tinkling audio cue when you're nearby, the same one as resource nodes like Spinmetal. I wear headphones so it's really obvious, but I presume speakers are fine when you know what to listen out for.
  • Chests are most commonly found in the 'monster closets' that enemies spawn from, like the rooms and caves that look almost black from the outside but lighten up when you walk in.
  • If you can hear a chest but can't see it, chances are you need to look up at a ledge or on top of smaller structures. With verticality in mind, ledges you need to drop on to are another common spot.

On a more general note, loot drops from enemies seem more plentiful when you reach 20. Chest contents also scale to your level: typically you'll just find Glimmer and some of the pertinent resource for that planet, but you can also find equipment or rare materials.

I love how my hunters cape ruffles in the wind. I felt like Darth Maul as I was blasting around the surface of the moon on my sparrow.

Found it much more forgiving playing team deathmatch after taking an absolute drubbing on rumble yesterday. I could barely find a shot in then end. I'd love to say it was because the other guys were level 20+ and I'm only at 11, but it's really just because I was shit. Anyway, sticking together with better players on my side is working for me at the moment, particularly whilst I learn the maps and improve my skills.

Right, take a deep breath. This is a discussion forum where people express their personal opinions about games, including talking about reviews. It's fine if you enjoy it, it's fine if others aren't enjoying it as much as you. Personally I like reading a range of views. But if opinions that differ from your own distress you so much perhaps you should just stick to dedicated fan sites where you can happily enjoy an echo chamber that will give you the comfort reinforcing your personal beliefs forevermore.

The light that shines through the darkness that Harsin.

To be fair, someone already posted that review three days ago. But cheers! Time to go to the Fifa 15 thread and tell everyone how I don't like the look it, how I'm not going to play it and how, this weekend, my mate was playing the demo and asked if I wanted a go, but I said 'no thanks'.

Ah didn't realize it was that old. I just saw it pop-up today. Was away for the weekend.

As far as I can tell, it's just that no one gives a fuck what Polygon or VN1X thinks.

Bit harsh. Giant bomb didn't seem to think much of Destiny in their review either. Nothing to get mad about though. It's just a review. There are more reviews out there, some which are positive, some which are negative. Not worth calling other people names over I find.

Sorry for discussing that Polygon review and my apologies if it somehow diminished your view or experience of/with the game.

Christ guys, next time I'll only post reviews with scores above 9.

The first expansion is confirmed as being set on the moon, so I'm guessing the same as you.

Saturn was definitely mentioned as one of the locations you'd be visiting in the game, c'mon Keighley put down your Doritos and Dew, I really want to read the behind the scenes stuff on the development of this game, I have a feeling it would be packed with fascinating anecdotes.

As far as I can tell, it's just that no one gives a fuck what Polygon or VN1X thinks.

Nah, there's earlier in the thread I saw any criticisms dismissed as nitpicking and a few posts with the general sentiment of 'Don't you like fun?'. Sorry, automatic dismissal of any criticism at all is one of my bugbears - see any big CGI release in Film & TV and the automatic tide of 'turn your brain off' and the insinuation that if you have any issues with Transzilla of Steel you're just a joyless husk who spends their their time wanking off to Bergmar films.

Sorry I appreciate I may be coming off overly negative to the game in this thread. I am having fun with it, but there's a nagging feeling that's just because I'm playing with friends online and enjoying the conversation and jokes. Watching Dinkbot 3000 scan an old computer for the 500th time or spending 20 minutes hosing down Bulletspongebob Squarepants with a machine gun is a lot more bearable with everyone riffing on it. The periods I've played it on my own I tend to agree with Jeff Gerstmann's view and find it kind of a boring and sterile experience.

Got to level 20, and thoroughly enjoyed my journey there. I just wish there was a bit more of it. I'm a PvE man, and at the moment all I can do with the kit I've got it the strike playlist. I could do the weekly strike, but I would need to find a fireteam as there is no matchmaking because...Bungie?

The gunplay is good, and it looks and sounds the part, but it seems to be missing something (insert "A story?" jokes here). There doesn't seem a massive amount to do at 20 aside from grind for kit. Which is fine, but there doesn't seem a geat variety in the stuff you find. Maybe I need to play it with other people more but I'm not feeling the need to play it a great deal more. I mean in Borderlands you had stupid guns coming out every orifice. Here the combat is miles better but aside from the skull type modifiers on certain stuff you just play the same missions and cross your fingers for a drop that might increase your light level.

What does increasing your level actually do anyway? I mean your abilities are on a separate XP thing, is it just so they can gate enemy damage so people know what they can survive? Guns don't have it, so I'm a bit confused as to why you would want to get above 20. Unless it is just an effective "I got sweet armour" indicator.

As I've mentioned, I enjoy the shooting of manz. I'm just not having the game get under my skin like Borderlands and Path of Exile could.

I'm sure I remember seeing a 'complete a Strike without dying' bounty. Is that one of the chits that the postmaster gives you? I've become over-levelled for the Moon strike so wanted to give myself an extra challenge, but I can't see it on the list of available bounties.

Another note on the green loot chests...

I found one on patrol with jonamok last night, however after looting it, I had to pop back to a previous room to 'collect' him and when we returned the chest had gone/respawned somewhere else.

It was a bit weird as I probably only moved 50m or so in game but I'm 99% sure if I'd waited by it, it would have stuck around for him.

I had assumed they would be randomly spawned as the level loads but it seems they spawn as each area instance is created/updated. As such, worth a check around even if you passed through an area before.

Nah, there's earlier in the thread I saw any criticisms dismissed as nitpicking and a few posts with the general sentiment of 'Don't you like fun?'. Sorry, automatic dismissal of any criticism at all is one of my bugbears - see any big CGI release in Film & TV and the automatic tide of 'turn your brain off' and the insinuation that if you have any issues with Transzilla of Steel you're just a joyless husk who spends their their time wanking off to Bergmar films.

None of which was by me, yet you picked my post to quote which was just a joke towards those posting reviews but haven't even having played the game (which is a bugbear of mine). :huh:

Another note on the green loot chests...

I found one on patrol with jonamok last night, however after looting it, I had to pop back to a previous room to 'collect' him and when we returned the chest had gone/respawned somewhere else.

It was a bit weird as I probably only moved 50m or so in game but I'm 99% sure if I'd waited by it, it would have stuck around for him.

I had assumed they would be randomly spawned as the level loads but it seems they spawn as each area instance is created/updated. As such, worth a check around even if you passed through an area before.

The chests are lootable for about 30 seconds after the first person opens it, so if you're in a fireteam it's worth waiting til they're near enough to be able to claim it too.

I wouldn't mind new continents on the existing planets, they had a whole bunch of concept art for places on Earth other than Old Russia for example, but if the DLC simply unlocks areas that are already built into existing levels as we currently have them (if it's just a key rather than actual content, in other words) then I think that would be an absolute piss-take considering how light on content and variety the base game is, at a premium price.

There's concept art for ruined Chicago and Mumbai. There have been mentions of a ruined spaceship (the cassini) too. I don't mind if the DLC unlocks another area of the moon (or a cavernous area inside the moon, that could be cool). It has to include new areas, surely, as they've already committed to remixing content in the existing zones for dailies.weeklies and higher difficulty replays.

There's concept art for ruined Chicago and Mumbai. There have been mentions of a ruined spaceship (the cassini) too. I don't mind if the DLC unlocks another area of the moon (or a cavernous area inside the moon, that could be cool). It has to include new areas, surely, as they've already committed to remixing content in the existing zones for dailies.weeklies and higher difficulty replays.

This is the official description of the first expansion.

Set deep beneath the surface of the Moon, fans will discover an ancient tomb that has been unsealed, and a dark god who has risen an evil army in the depths of the Hellmouth, the home of the Hive enemy race.

So it sounds like it'll be a new area of the hellmouth.

Anyone having trouble with the Destiny app? My loads fine and can access all the content but I keep getting a 'Something went awry when trying to log in' message when trying to access psn/friends. It connects to Live no problem. Tried un-installing and re-installing and works initially but then keeps doing the above.

Anyone having trouble with the Destiny app? My loads fine and can access all the content but I keep getting a 'Something went awry when trying to log in' message when trying to access psn/friends. It connects to Live no problem. Tried un-installing and re-installing and works initially but then keeps dong the above.

Yip, does this on mine too with PSN, i'm on android if that makes any difference. You can log out of the app then back in that also works, I was uninstalling / reinstalling like yourself at first too.

To log out (on android) you go to your profile then click the three dots at top right hand side, account settings then log out.

This is the official description of the first expansion.

So it sounds like it'll be a new area of the hellmouth.

That's fine with me. Interested to see how they split the free content and the premium content. The Queens Wrath stuff (whatever that is) isn't part of the expansion pass, nor are the raids, but some random monsters in a mooncave are? :lol: