IGNORED

Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

Does anyone know which is the emblem for playing the beta on that specific day? I seem to have a bunch of random ones and not sure where they came from.

Unrelated, my postmaster always looks like he has something for me (green icon) but doesn't. Annoying.

I believe it's called the Sign of the Elders. But I might be wrong about that as there is a Founders Seal and a Sign of the Finite that I also have and I'm not entirely sure why!

They managed to miss it whilst playing the game?

It's a weird game to review, because the more you sit down and think about it, the more you can find fault with it. There are tons of little flaws, and a handful of major ones, and while I agree with almost all of the complaints in the lower reviews (though it's worth a reminder that 6 isn't a *bad* score; it does mean 'above average') the core of it is still a lot of fun.

I think it's important that reviews acknowledge these problems because they might impact a person's enjoyment more than they did mine. There are a number of reasons why it's clicked with me; whether I'll persevere with it over the coming months I'm not sure, but I'm still keen to keep playing even having published my review. Given that my leisure time is at a premium right now, it's obviously doing something very right.

That farming spot on Venus is pretty good

I tried it out and got a fair few blue engrams (no legendaries though), one or two of which turned out to be those strange coins, so that's another way of getting them it seems. Explains how the guy that was in the spot had the orange gauntlets from Xur.

(though it's worth a reminder that 6 isn't a *bad* score; it does mean 'above average')

I think we're seeing the effect of so many gaming site using a 7-10 scale for so long that now they're actually slowly moving towards using the whole numerical scale some people are seeing 6/7 out of 10 and their brain is parsing it as them saying it's total shit instead of above average.

I mean, remember when Eurogamer gave Uncharted 3 an 8 and some people on here reacted like they'd just caught the reviewer pissing on their rug.

I tried it out and got a fair few blue engrams (no legendaries though), one or two of which turned out to be those strange coins, so that's another way of getting them it seems. Explains how the guy that was in the spot had the orange gauntlets from Xur.

If you stay there long enough, it will say the enemy has started to turn the tide or something like that, everything will go really yellow and better drops happen.

If you stay there long enough, it will say the enemy has started to turn the tide or something like that, everything will go really yellow and better drops happen.

Yeah stayed there for quite a while, and after that message quite a few yellow health bar mobs turn up and it gets quite a lot harder. After a while though the area was full of weapon ammo and it glitched my game so my grenades and supers wouldn't work. Walking to another area and back seemed to fix it and also remove all the ammo that had dropped.

There are tons of little flaws, and a handful of major ones, and while I agree with almost all of the complaints in the lower reviews (though it's worth a reminder that 6 isn't a *bad* score; it does mean 'above average') the core of it is still a lot of fun.

I think the 6/10 probably seems worse than it is because the Polygon review absolutely brutalises the game - it's overwhelmingly negative. Not unreasonably either, it's all fair stuff (even if I don't agree with it), but I'd say it's more of a 'bit shit' six than a 'good, but deeply flawed' six.

Let me get this straight: the actual number stats for your player and your weapon make no differences in the Crucible, but any abilities you've unlocked for your sub-class, and any special modifications ('perks', let's call them) you get from using uncommon gear - fast reloads, reduced cooldowns etc - do carry across?

I think we're seeing the effect of so many gaming site using a 7-10 scale for so long that now they're actually slowly moving towards using the whole numerical scale some people are seeing 6/7 out of 10 and their brain is parsing it as them saying it's total shit instead of above average.

I mean, remember when Eurogamer gave Uncharted 3 an 8 and some people on here reacted like they'd just caught the reviewer pissing on their rug.

I don't think any of us feel that way. Rudderless nails it, it's the sort of game you can find lots of reasons to mark it down, you'd almost be obliged to. Totally accept that.

And yet in the comfort of my own home I keep putting it on and enjoying myself a lot, more compulsively than Velocity2X or Diablo or living in the real world.

I think I do feel a little bit snippy if I think someone hasn't played it and wants to use the bad reviews to make some sort of point to win some argument in their own head. Because loads of us in the thread have played it, know what a curate's egg it is.

Let me get this straight: the actual number stats for your player and your weapon make no differences in the Crucible, but any abilities you've unlocked for your sub-class, and any special modifications ('perks', let's call them) you get from using uncommon gear - fast reloads, reduced cooldowns etc - do carry across?

Yes, I think so. Also, I think the class perks you unlock (for example, my Titan now has better armour stats because I hit a level) carry over too. So a level 22 Guardian will have an advantage over a level 8 in the Crucible. But not as much as you'd expect.

I have a question of my own. I hit level 16, and so I obviously can start on my subclass if I want. That's got what looks like a pretty full skill tree. Even if I stick to my main class, I don't think I fill the skills up at 20? Do I only get to level the subclass by using it, and if so, do I need to use it post-20 for each Light-fuelled level up, or do you still earn XP for unlocks?

There's two forms of light level ups.

The first is that after Lvl 20 XP changes to filling up a bar, that when full grants you mote of light and then the bar empties and you start filling it again. They don't appear to be that much use at the moment to be honest, the only things you can get with them are emblems and decorative items from Bill Nighy and one thing from that weirdo who turns up at the Tower on weekends.

You still fill up the bars of of your weapons and armour regardless.

The second is applying armour with a light stat. This is how you get your level past 20. You go up levels by equipping armour with a total number if light that will take it to the next level.

Is adjusting to hard difficulty the same as the "heroic modifier" for bounties?

Yes, you can see the little icons above where you select mode (ie hard mode level 20) if you cursor over the icons one says heroic and there are other modifiers applied sometimes.

I have a question of my own. I hit level 16, and so I obviously can start on my subclass if I want. That's got what looks like a pretty full skill tree. Even if I stick to my main class, I don't think I fill the skills up at 20? Do I only get to level the subclass by using it, and if so, do I need to use it post-20 for each Light-fuelled level up, or do you still earn XP for unlocks?

You still gain experience for kills, bounties and completions as normal when you hit level 20, so weapons and skills that are equipped will continue to level even if your actual character level doesn't.

One trick is to complete your bounty requirements and then swap over to the other sub-class/weapons before you cash them in. That way the XP you get will go towards those equipped items. You can then swap back for going out into the field if you need to use the powers from your original class.

I've done it a couple of times and you unlock the early class skills pretty quickly.

Whilst I enjoy Destiny and think it's still a good game, I agree with the opinion expressed by some here already that the practical inability to mix Fireteams with characters of different level is not right. It was blatantly obvious post Borderlands that this is an issue with this genre. Me and a friend yesterday had to start the whole game again yesterday with new characters simply to play together in a Fireteam. That's probably about 20 hours time investment across the two of us ignored simply because we've had the indecency to invest differing amounts of time in the game. We've now set aside these characters to only use when we're playing co-op with each other, which seems like an unnecessary piece of game management to place on the player. And to add insult to injury, to start a new character you have to do the introduction mission again! Come on Bungie, is that mission really that good? And do I need to be subjected to unskippable cut scenes with each new character I create?

Given the amount of playtesting and focus groups this thing was likely subjected to, it's amazing that the game came through with these issues intact.

Similarly the whole Crucible thing is a mess. There's no fun to be had subjecting newcomers to hugely unfair playing terms with people who've invested so much more time in the game than themselves. I won't be bothering with it any further to be honest, it seemed like a poor man's Halo.

So for a game that demands to be played in multiplayer, it manages to get a lot of the very basic aspects of multiplayer wrong.

But the gunplay is still great and it can produce a great spectacle when it wants to. Overall it just feels like they've tried to accommodate mutually exclusive requirements which should have been obvious before a single line of code was written. The resulting game feels like it's got multiple personality disorder.

Loving this game. A lot of the criticism is valid, given I'm in space fighting the flood as a spartan with my sidekick guilty spark.

But. It's just so fun. Played the moon strike with shook and some random, and it took us ages (I was lvl 11 when we started.) but when we took down pogoth it was such a sweet victory.

Then after we finished dancing I went to the tower and was given the bounty of killing pogoth. Ffs.

Add another to the enjoy camp. Whether I'm playing with a mate or solo its good fun although playing with a friend makes for the superior experience.

Earlier on had a couple of those community events happen whilst doing patrol on my own on the Russia map. One of them involved destroying a huge armored four legged tank thing and it was great to see everyone pitch in from a level 4, level 8 (me) and a level 24 and the satisfaction in jointly destroying this thing with randoms.

Did a public event last night on my own where some robot boss spawned on Mars in the city area. He was starting to lose a fair bit of health - "You're going down..what the? Where the hell is he going?!?" The git only started running away from me.....backwards. It was the most hilarious thing I've seen in the game so far, like some sort of sci fi Benny Hill. I'd shoot him a bit, he'd leg it backwards around some corner, I'd have to sprint to catch up and repeat. In the end he despawned and my Ghost pipes up "Oh well we'll get him next time".......Yeah, right. As long as he doesn't run away like a chicken! :hmm:

Also got a legendary pulse rifle randomly while I was doing some patrolling on Mars in a stolen Interceptor (tank thing that fires rockets). Fair and Square its called. Thing is I don't use Pulse Rifles, and prefer my Scout Rifle, plus all my armour's fitted for Scout Rifles.

Oh and some random public event happened later while I was still in the "tank" where we had to kill some named boss, which was comically easy given that I was in said tank, and his rockets were barely doing anything. Easiest gold public event I've ever done.