IGNORED

Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

Hmmm, hitting level 20 has really taken the shine off the game for me. But am I wrong about my thoughts? I've hit lvl 20 before setting foot on Mars. I'm now thinking there is zero point in playing any of Mars, as it will not get me anything at all, and that I should go straight to the heroic strikes and story missions to gain Vanguard marks.

I don't want to play the Crucible. I don't like it. So for me, hitting lvl 20 means I've hit a ceiling far earlier than I'd like. Am I wrong? Please tell me I'm wrong. :(

Might as well do it. You'll still get motes of light and item drops.

Plus, if the gulf between your level and the Story mission level is too great, you can up the difficulty at the launch screen. I played a Moon mission on Hard last night for a bounty. It absolutely keeps the challenge interesting.

And I think level 20 plus means you get additional difficulty levels to pick from.

The more I've played this, the more my estimation of it has gone up. I thought it would be the other way around. I've stopped thinking "this could have been so much more" and just enjoying what I'm playing.

Even if it keeps me entertained for a month, that is more than most games though. Again, this isn't to criticise the reviews for pointing out some of the flaws - just shows that flaws absolutely do not stop a game from being compelling and making you enjoy it.

I don't get it.

I've played a fair few of the campaign levels solo and they're great fun, with a lot of them up there with best that Halo had to offer.

Being solo doesn't stop you doing anything other than the strikes and raids, so there's still plenty of content to go at. Far more than the 'meager 10%' you mention.

I can understand you not liking it for various reasons, but saying you love Halo but hate this seems crazy. It's got the sublime combat that only Bungie can do and some brilliant AI across a really good selection of enemies. The levels are amazing to look at and are brilliant combat arenas.

The only other thing I can get from your post then, is that you're hating it because of Dinklage's character - one of the most superfluous things you could have picked on.

Each to their own and all that, but it's disappointing that you're slating it for things that aren't even true.

Ok, so I'm not sure why my post turned into such a rant, it's early, but my main point is that I want a campaign mode that draws you in with its story, that makes you want to see what's around the next corner. The comparisons with Star Wars episodes 1-3 are spot on are far as I can tell. Too much going on, too many factions, vague hints at plots and what not. As yet I couldn't care less, but if the game "opens up" at level 20 then colour me dubious but I will persevere. My issue with the co-op play is that it has been utterly pointless for me so far. I see the odd player now and again but they are doing their thing and I am doing mine - there has barely been any interaction at all. Sure, I could team up with friends (if I had any) but I'm just not into multiplayer that much. I want a good story and I don't care if it's linear. That's what I love about rollercoaster rides! :) The 10% comment was hyperthetical btw. I meant that I don't care if the campaign is a small portion of the full game, but thrill me at least, god damn it!

Halo had a pretty bleh story. Especially from 2 onwards when the simplicity of it was lost. I'd happily compare combat, level design, features between Halo and Destiny - but you're not going to make much headway in comparing narrative. Both of them have some shit that people say so you go shoot things. I care little about either as long as the shooting is good.

I'm on holiday at the moment but thinking of picking this up on PS4 for my return on Saturday. I'll obviously be a pathetic level one and way behind you lot though, so presumably won't be able to join raids etc for a fair while :(

Quick straw-poll though - which class have people gone for? I'm looking at either Titan or Warlock but interested to see if one class is particular common vs others.

Okay, motes of light only seem to be redeemable with the speaker, and he doesn't offer weapons or armour... do the motes do anything else?

Yep. Keep collecting them. Wait until Saturday. Go to the tower. Look for this guy

250px-Merchant_re4.jpg

Also you do get additional difficulty levels. You unlock level 28 stuff and Nightfall stuff as well.

So there's:

Strike playlist (launch a random strike at level 18, 22, 24 or 28)

Daily strike (launch a daily strike with a heroic modifer plus another random modifier)

Weekly strike (launch a weekly strike with a heroic modifier plus another random modifier)

Nightfall daily strike (launch a daily strike with a whole bunch of terrifying modifiers)

Nightfall weekly strike (launch a weekly strike with a whole bunch of terrifying modifiers)

Raid - lead a team into hours of high level new content

The way the endgame works is that you can only achieve 100 vanguard or 100 crucible marks in a week. The point is you're supposed to be treating it like a smorgasbord, turning it on each night and doing the daily/weekly PVE stuff until you have all your marks, and then switching over and doing a bit of crucible. Make your bounties match your activity and concentrate on getting those done. Bungie have spoken about a "cycle of content" or words to that effect, and the limits on marks you can collect in a week really reinforces that. Every time you turn it on there's always something to do, even if you max out all of your marks (there's an achievement for doing so, I got it last night!)

But the only reason to do that would be for the story.

Not at all. Some of the gun fights are excellent. You're missing out on a few decent setpieces by skipping it.

Story is dogshit throughout though yeah but everyone knows that.

Halo had a pretty bleh story. Especially from 2 onwards when the simplicity of it was lost. I'd happily compare combat, level design, features between Halo and Destiny - but you're not going to make much headway in comparing narrative. Both of them have some shit that people say so you go shoot things. I care little about either as long as the shooting is good.

Fair enough but at least it was straight forward. You knew your quest and off you went. It also had amazing set-pieces, and you knew there would be another jaw-dropping moment coming along shortly.

Given the broad spread of difficulty levels in previous Bungie games, it does seem a bit weird if your only options are to play it either on normal or hard, especially if you're so over-levelled that both options are like John Matrix going up against Dad's Army.

Is there really no way of replaying the early story missions on a suitable difficulty once you hit the level cap?

Is there really no way of replaying the early story missions on a suitable difficulty once you hit the level cap?

There definitely is a way, someone posted a screen shot in this thread of it happening. Once you reach a point (which I think I recall is level 20) you can replay Story missions on 2 higher difficulties than Normal and Hard.

Regarding your former point. Upping the difficulty is pointless, as the experience gained is completely meaningless once you hit lvl 20. I'm not disputing the levels may be fun to play, but like I said before, it would be a waste of my time.

Firstly, there's probably something you need to think about if having fun playing a game is a waste of time. ;)

But more pertinently, it's not a waste of XP. You definitely haven't finished unlocking the skill tree on your two classes, which carry on regardless of hitting the level cap. And, as others state, over-levelling does generate Motes of Light, which are good for *something*.

Once you hit 20 you can play all the missions from the normal map selection at various levels up to 28, you have the strike play lists that go up to lvl 24, the random daily mission lvl 20, weekly strike lvl 22, weekly nightfall strike lvl28.

The strange vendor on Saturdays sells some stuff for coins and some for motes of light.

At level 20 "mouse over" your level, the xp still counts it earns you motes of light in the background, it also levels your gear up.

Myself and two friends should be hitting 26 very soon, maybe tonight, incase anyone wants to go die horribly in the raid :)

"Grinding" is surely just a synonym for "playing the game" in this instance, surely? The point of the game is enjoying the colossal rucks, not getting loot; it's not like Godus or Tiny Tower where the game is just grinding. If you're not enjoying it, don't do it.