IGNORED

Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

"Grinding" is surely just a synonym for "playing the game" in this instance, surely? The point of the game is enjoying the colossal rucks, not getting loot; it's not like Godus or Tiny Tower where the game is just grinding. If you're not enjoying it, don't do it.

I'd say it's repeating the same tasks over and over for a small chance of something happening. It becomes work. Except at work you actually tend to make progress.

I'd say it's repeating the same tasks over and over for a small chance of something happening. It becomes work. Except at work you actually tend to make progress.

It just seems a weird angle to criticise the game from - not that the game is boring, but that you're not getting enough loot or XP. If you don't like the game or think the missions are boring, then that's the problem with the game, not that you get "fuck all" as reward for playing it. Complaining that you're not getting the right loot is like saying Shenmue is shit because you're not getting the capsule toys you want.

Surely Bungie realised that people loved replaying the Halo games - because the basic gameplay is so fun - so they built a game that gives you the chance to play a more freeform Halo-type game forever but also get rewards for doing so. Not being an RPG player, I'm finding the structure a refreshing change from a linear narrative with wide corridor levels.

I do think you need to have friends to level up alongside you and also to enjoy PVP to get the maximum enjoyment out of it. All the exotic gear with its various modifiers comes into its own in the Crucible, where tiny changes to reload speed, grenade cooldown etc etc makes a more appreciable difference.

Spent my tea break in work watching some high level players tackle VOG on twitch. We are going to need a very tight team with good communication!!

/mentally rules out self from any future participation in Raids.

Wake me up when there's a need for a cowardly bumbler who runs into walls.

And that's what concerns me, grinding away for absolutely fuck all. I read online last night that getting light and levelling up post lvl 20 is pure chance. It's fucking bollocks. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that Bungie deliberately don't this to slow players down because of the lack of content.

I still loved every minute I played but it's annoying seeing my mate who has played literally the same amount of time and the same levels and strikes as me as a 24 with light coming out his arse and i'm still at 20.

I think i've been unlucky, our cryptonarch (think that's it's name) rank is the same. I keep handing in blue engrams and he keeps giving me green uncommon stuff.

And that's what concerns me, grinding away for absolutely fuck all. I read online last night that getting light and levelling up post lvl 20 is pure chance. It's fucking bollocks. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that Bungie deliberately don't this to slow players down because of the lack of content.

Oh my gosh stop fretting! Here are all the ways you can boost past 20:

Collect motes of light and buy exotic engrams

Collect strange coins and buy exotic armour/weapons

Play PVE activities and bounties to get vanguard marks and rep to spend on vanguard armour (do the dailies and weeklies as a priority)

Play PVP activities and bounties to get crucible marks and rep to spend on crucible armour

Not to mention that any of these activities have a chance of dropping legendary or exotic items and engrams. But the people who're just running around hoping for stuff to drop instead of working at the rep/marks really confuse me. I'm level 25 now and will be 26 once I get the defense stats up on the vanguard item I bought last night. All I've done is dailies, weeklies and bounties. If you run out of bounties don't grind patrols for 10 rep, you'll be there forever. Go do something else (in real life or in-game) until the bounties refresh.

TLDR: Don't rely on random drops. Get your vanguard mark/rep farming on. Or Crucible, whichever is your bag.

Don't rely on world drops (Though there is a place on Mars with a stupid spawn rate of chests if you want to go down that route, I can try and explain where if anyone cares) play the random strike play lists you get 1 guaranteed blue item but often 2 per one you do, plus any drops you find while playing them, plus, you know, they are fun :)

You can't blame people wanting stuff to drop when they probably want to play the Raid (and you have Bungie repeating wait for the Raid like a mantra in response to its lukewarm critical reception) and you have to be level 25/26 to do that and the only way you're getting there is waiting until the RNG gifts you enough pieces of armour with enough light to meet the entry requirements. You could try farming instead, I did the Venus farming thing, it's like watching paint dry, but yeah if you fancy spending an hour mindlessly decimating enemies about half your level with no semblance of skill or challenge then that is an alternative.

That Kotaku story speculation is interesting, and sounds at least plausible. I'm wary because the Halo series looked like it was building up to some amazing revelation which never really arrived (unless you count that insane salvo of about seven twists at once that was dumped in one cutscene halfway through Halo 4).

The difference being that if the writing was good and the story worthwhile, I'd happily play them, irrespective of experience gained. I loved the Venus missions, but that was when I was gaining experience. I need a hook. Shootmans for the sake of Shootmans doesn't interest me.

But you're also gaining xp toward new class abilities, that doesn't end when you reach 20. Maybe swap to your subclass and start accumulating some skills there too?

The Cryptarch guy gives you 2-3 free blue or purple Engrams when you hit reputation level 3 (and every level after it seems as I have him to 5) and as your money (Glimmer) caps at 25000 and is easy to get/not used for much don't be shy in buying Engrams from him when he has green quality ones, it gets you rep with him, can get you blues and some weapon parts or whatever from disassemble.

Watching the Raid now, new Vex type called an Oracle, you have to kill them as soon as they spawn otherwise they mark you for death and then you get a countdown at which point you depart this mortal coil, and there's nothing you can do about it, and there's something like a 25 second timer before anyone can even attempt to revive you on this level.

EDIT: It might actually kill the whole team, not sure.

The more I play this the more I'm astounded at a lot of the negative reaction it's getting. I honestly think it's fucking amazing. But then I don't think I've ever followed or cared about a games story in the 30 years I've been playing the things.

For what it's worth I could barely care less about story either.

I assume this has been said elsewhere as well but when you go to select your alternate subclass, the fact there is an empty square there for a third spec, combined with the fact that each spec follows the same damage types as the guns (Titans get Arc/Void, Hunters get Solar/Arc, Warlocks get Void/Solar) when do you think we'll get our third specs of the missing type for each class?

You can't blame people wanting stuff to drop when they probably want to play the Raid (and you have Bungie repeating wait for the Raid like a mantra in response to its lukewarm critical reception) and you have to be level 25/26 to do that and the only way you're getting there is waiting until the RNG gifts you enough pieces of armour with enough light to meet the entry requirements. You could try farming instead, I did the Venus farming thing, it's like watching paint dry, but yeah if you fancy spending an hour mindlessly decimating enemies about half your level with no semblance of skill or challenge then that is an alternative.

Or pick up bounties which reflect what you want to do (crucible, level 28 strikes, dailies, weeklies) and then do those. You get marks/rep for doing the strike and marks/rep for doing the bounty.

It's no different to the WOW daily dungeon runs.

Watching the Raid now, new Vex type called an Oracle, you have to kill them as soon as they spawn otherwise they mark you for death and then you get a countdown at which point you depart this mortal coil, and there's nothing you can do about it, and there's something like a 25 second timer before anyone can even attempt to revive you on this level.

EDIT: It might actually kill the whole team, not sure.

Sounds awesome, promotes teamwork and communication. That's the kind of thing I'm looking forward to.

I assume this has been said elsewhere as well but when you go to select your alternate subclass, the fact there is an empty square there for a third spec, combined with the fact that each spec follows the same damage types as the guns (Titans get Arc/Void, Hunters get Solar/Arc, Warlocks get Void/Solar) when do you think we'll get our third specs of the missing type for each class?

I noticed that too, I would imagine a third subclass will come with one of the expansions.

Sorry to even ask this but how are people using chat on the PS4? I've a good list of friends playing, I set it to friends only for Fireteam and I have my headset active however I hear nothing. Do I need to drop back to the PS4 dashboard and start a party chat with the people I'm playing with?