IGNORED

Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

Sorry to even ask this but how are people using chat on the PS4? I've a good list of friends playing, I set it to friends only for Fireteam and I have my headset active however I hear nothing. Do I need to drop back to the PS4 dashboard and start a party chat with the people I'm playing with?

Nah, if they're on comms they'll hear you and you them. They probably aren't micced up.

So all I'd hear in the phones would be player voices? That cant be right surely? Clear voices and muffled game sounds leaking through the headphones! I'll give it a go though- just surprised its not obvious. I'm not a genius but hardly thick.

EDIT- I thought about the balance and played around with that, turning the game sound right down- still no joy. Will try a basic chat test to double check the headset isn't faulty. Sounds like I'm doing the right things. In the meantime apologies in advance if I join any games and seem to be blanking everyone!

I would actually love it if people could spoiler that stuff, but I know it's a big ask!

So all I'd hear in the phones would be player voices? That cant be right surely? Clear voices and muffled game sounds leaking through the headphones! I'll give it a go though- just surprised its not obvious. I'm not a genius but hardly thick.

Hold the PS button, go to device options and change it so all audio comes out of the headphones.

There's also a setting in game which routes your microphone sounds through the TV, headset or both, you may want to experiment with that.

I'm sure there will be a combination of the two which will do exactly what you need.

EDIT- I thought about the balance and played around with that, turning the game sound right down- still no joy. Will try a basic chat test to double check the headset isn't faulty. Sounds like I'm doing the right things. In the meantime apologies in advance if I join any games and seem to be blanking everyone!

I have that headset and so do a few I play with. It's always been fine. I can join your game later tonight if you wanna test it out. It's most likely that they don't have headsets? Unless you know they do.

I found cruicible easier with my level 2 than my level 23. I was playing it yesterday and finishing top three pretty much every game. Half of that was level 2 where I didn't even have double jump.

With my (now) 23 I find it a lot tougher. I assume matchmaking is doing it's thing.

IMG_20140915_195200.jpg

Speaking of cruicible, how about this for a narrow win:

IMG_20140916_080553.jpg

I just think levelling is a terrible idea in a shooter, full stop. Levelling is in old style RPGs as a logical means of progression and it's in MMO's as a means of keeping people playing. Borderlands kind of got away with it because it was distracting you with so much noise and content, but for a shooter as pure as this I find it to be such an inappropriate addition.

Bungie revolutionised the shooter genre by giving us a game where you were as powerful as you were going to get within minutes of starting (the moment you picked up a plasma pistol, more or less) and the experience gained was actual experience. Remember how early on (assuming you'd picked a higher difficulty level) you felt brittle and underpowered, every room an uphill battle, deaths aplenty? And how when you started the game again the tides had turned? That's experience. It isn't Phoarrrrtgrrh the Terrible taking 400 bullets to kill instead of 4000. I'm not saying people aren't getting better at Destiny the more they play it, by the way. I'm saying the opposite. I'm saying people don't need a higher number next to their name to reflect that improvement.

And the moment you have players in a game on different levels any balance is compromised. So unless everyone is level 20 you're typically going to have underpowered and overpowered people running around, neither having the best time.

I played missions on this which were a complete boring cakewalk because I was overlevelled, and then I'd play missions which were pretty much impossible and had to be restarted once I'd hit a higher level because I was underlevelled. It's retarded design and completely unnecessary. I needed to play for longer so my bullets were stronger. It's nothing to do with skill. It's stupid and I feel it stopped me enjoying this game, which I was ready - and expecting - to love.

I can't honestly disagree with much of what you're saying. That being said it's still the most satisfying game around now. The shooting is probably the best I've ever experienced. Certainly up there with Doom and Halo.

Getting a bit of a Dragons Dogma vibe from the stream now...

Also, the streamer is having problems with his controller disconnect on the bone, just like I was on Sunday, I wonder if it's a game fault rather than a hardware fault?

Which stream are you on?

I'm on one with some Gorgons? How on earth are you supposed to do that part!