IGNORED

Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

Holy shit what?! I didn't realise it would be that big!

I'm not sure it's necessarily that big, just bastard hard and they're not exactly sure what to do.

I was watching part of a stream and they were all just getting killed every minute and have to restart from a checkpoint. Interesting hearing them discussing what to do and what not to do. Trying to formulate tactics and work out what did what (buff items, shields etc...)

Having watched it I can understand why they don't matchmake it. There is no way you could go in with randoms, you all have to communicate (so everyone needs a mic) and you really have to work as a team. Also you have to have to stick with it.

So, having found someone in my timezone (Len and his mate!), I played my first bit of online play since moving to the States, last night. Went to join Len and Avuncular but their fireteam was full (although the error was: you're too low level) so started playing the Moon with my hunter. As luck would have it, Len popped in a few minutes later and my wife was startled due to me suddenly starting to talk at the TV. Anyway, the seamless way Len could hop onto my game was ace, I've not seen that before. And of course, multiplayer is such a different game, absolutely fantastic. I couldn't hear Dinklage over the banter on the headset, but whatever, was all kinds of fun. Did make me realize I need a new headset though, the default one doesn't cut the mustard for when there's directional sound.

Len explained the sort of skill trees to me too, I didn't realize you leveled them based on actually doing stuff, so for example all those grenade kills finally opened up the grenade with the little bots that fly out and find enemies. I should probably read a noob guide.

I didn't get into Halo+sequels online, as I was busy playing WoW and the like, so I appreciate Destiny may be a bit of a rehash for certain people. I'm finding it 110% pure fun, though.

Ha, was a lot fun. I think we 'seamlessly met' by me piling my sparrow in to your gun bike thing...lol! ;)
We did a few missions on the moon and then tackled the Sword of Crota. I bloody love that mission, always seems to end up with hysterics and screaming like a girl as those three princes stomp around after you, great great fun. And also the sword makes you look like Ninja Gaiden or something, way cool as you flit and slash about. Thoroughly enjoyable.
I was having difficulty hearing you at some points, was very muffled so apologies if I didn’t catch anything. Definitely recommend getting another headset, the ss is amazing and really helps. Oh and recommend a guide or ask Moz as I only have a very basic understanding of it all so far that is for sure.
I just can’t get enough of this, it is just so much fun. More soon! :)

Yeah, that's where the Open world RPG comparisons start to kick in and the game comes up short, for example you expect high level enemies to be protecting a nice chest or maybe tucked away there is the corpse of a dead traveller and a note which kick starts a quest. For example, has anyone killed off the levels 18s in the bunker in forgotten shore? I'm betting there is no specific reward for doing so. See also the grotto.

There is a dead Ghost in there. That's it.

Ha, was a lot fun. I think we 'seamlessly met' by me piling my sparrow in to your gun bike thing...lol! ;)
We did a few missions on the moon and then tackled the Sword of Crota. I bloody love that mission, always seems to end up with hysterics and screaming like a girl as those three princes stomp around after you, great great fun. And also the sword makes you look like Ninja Gaiden or something, way cool as you flit and slash about. Thoroughly enjoyable.
I was having difficulty hearing you at some points, was very muffled so apologies if I didn’t catch anything. Definitely recommend getting another headset, the ss is amazing and really helps. Oh and recommend a guide or ask Moz as I only have a very basic understanding of it all so far that is for sure.
I just can’t get enough of this, it is just so much fun. More soon! :)

That sword thing was hilarious, even with all the dying!

I did wonder if you guys were having trouble picking up my voice. I was speaking as loud as I dared without waking the kids, but the freebie one seems a bit pants. What's the SS?

That sword thing was hilarious, even with all the dying!

I did wonder if you guys were having trouble picking up my voice. I was speaking as loud as I dared without waking the kids, but the freebie one seems a bit pants. What's the SS?

Perfectly understandable, just not easy to pick you out amongst all the chaos at times. Just meant surround sound.

That's pretty standard fair* for raiding, but it would have been nicer if they had shorter dungeon type stuff that only took an hour or so.

Surely that's the Strikes though? I think part of the time though could well be actually working out what the hell you are supposed to be doing. Also if it is checkpointed you can break it down into hour long sections I would imagine. Although you do only have the week to complete it.

Yeah, it seems fair enough to me. For all the normal people you've got the daily/weekly Strikes, and all the other rotating content. Then if you're a bit more dedicated, there's Raids. I imagine the barrier to entry is pretty high (I'm pretty sure I'd struggle, not to find 6 hours in a week, but to consistently schedule that with 5 other people. Or is it just the Fireteam leader that's needed, and the team itself can change up a bit?)

And then presumably, more raids will be added over time.

It's going to be an odd one, this game. Obviously, with the aim of adding stuff over time, the game looks a little bare at launch. Loads of areas on all the maps look under-utilised or empty or suspicious. If you're being charitable, you'd assume the game in 6 months will look a lot more busy. I think it's destined (ho ho) to launch-review relatively poorly, but then gradually creep up in estimations as those who just don't like it drop away, and then the people that do slowly drag everyone else into it.

Oh ok, so it may take hours this week but in time it'll get quicker. Don't fancy my chances at finishing this weeks!

As you learn the fights (assuming they're not just 'shoot it until it dies' type fights) and get better gear yes, it will get quicker and quicker every time you try it.

In Wow you could reset raids manually, so that you could keep doing the first boss over and over. I think.

Up until it dies you can. Once you kill a boss the raid locks and the boss stays dead until it resets.

And, to continue the WoW parallels, eventually you'll have mates who know this guff inside out and can drag your noobie self through with relative ease, particularly if they tend to make the raid encounters slightly easier for the masses, once the hardcore have had their fill. Assuming they add more content for said hardcore.

Been out walking for 90 minutes and they still seem stuck at the same point,must be diminishing returns by now. As others here have said, a lot of time has been spent by this team figuring out the puzzle elements piece by piece, and then, when it finally clicks together, implementing all parts of the plan. Subsequent runs, or teams using guides, will be a lot faster. I think this group was also a little handicapped by having one Titan. Don't even think about using fewer than 6 at all times, a couple of levels above the suggested one won't do any harm and the best void damage gear you have.

I'm going to try a strike on Venus now, but the bog standard one!

Just reading the blog post from Bungie where it says something like , "The director is being light on details" .. it would be epic if The traveller starts acting up weird like fuck and is actually a giant player controlled creature, controlled by Bungie and voiced/acted in real-time (by someone else than dinklage) , would never happen though.

Just had a good 90 minute session initially doing a level 14 strike on Venus with a another hunter and warlock, which I was a bit over levelled for, judging by the reward, but which was probably about right for my actual skill level. Then took the bounty to do patrols on Venus and used it to wrap up another 4 or so bounties, and reach level 19. Whoo! Next stop Mars, after the footie.