IGNORED

Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

The first paid DLC will take place on the Moon though.

I think for perceived value it would have been nice to add a new environment in each paid DLC rather than simply expanding existing ones. When are we going to see all that stuff shown in the concept art?

It's like Wow. The raid will take place under the moon. The story will take you all over the place, hopefully to some new story areas.

"It's WoW with guns! It's an MMO!" It's not really, though, is it? It's Left 4 Dead with loot, if anything.

It's Payday 2

It feels more like Dark Souls with guns to me.

And why is anyone complaining about the game opening up at level 20, when getting yourself to that level is so much fun?

If the game starts at level 20 maybe they should start you at level 20.

I know everyone's been harping on about this at you already, but.

If you're not having fun between levels 1 and 20, you're not going to find you suddenly start enjoying it at 20. I don't think you're supposed to read that into the quote.

Right, looks like Moz was right, and that I was fretting over nothing this morning. I have loved the game this evening, and while I have not levelled up, I have a wicked Helmet that now, ater being fully upgraded, gives me +7 light. Before I went to bed I got some nice chest armour that is +5 light; I'm guessing I can also level that up to get it to +7 once fully upgraded.

I also paid Mars a visit, and my god it's beautiful. The Cabal offer a nice change in terms of tactics too. This is a fucking excellent game.

Look forward to your "oh noes, its shit again" post further down the thread when I have caught up.

The gameplay doesn't change one bit at level 20. You're still running the same missions! They're just harder and you need to actually understand the mechanics which differentiate it from Halo. The focus moves from earning XP to earning marks and reputation to get better items so you can run higher level strikes so you can get better items so you can run even higher level strikes so you can get better items so you can run the nightfall strikes so you can get better items so you can run the raids so you can get better items so you can do the next raid when it comes out. It's a stumbling introduction to the "progression through gear" (as opposed to XP) ethos of most MMOs which is still a relatively new thing to many gamers.

I know everyone's been harping on about this at you already, but.

If you're not having fun between levels 1 ad 20, you're not going to find you suddenly start enjoying it at 20. I don't think you're supposed to read that into the quote.

Fair, just not for me then.

Some people have found it a bit of a grind.

As Mike says, if they're finding playing around with some of the best FPS combat ever created is a bit of a grind, then reaching level 20 won't suddenly make them change their mind. The game simply isn't for them.

I genuinely hope that the updates bring some much-needed campaign style story stuff. Better mission types, setpieces, plot and exploration. Some more akin to Halo. I really feel for the people who went in wanting that and got a loot treadmill and the same few strikes stuck on repeat.

In the planetary map (or whatever you want to call the thing) I've got a load of stuff down the left hand side, in a column. No explanation, of course. Seems to be various things - but why are they there?

That's the list of the daily, weekly and nightfall strikes, plus whichever multiplayer mode is currently offering an XP bonus (I think).

As Mike says, if they're finding playing around with some of the best FPS combat ever created is a bit of a grind, then reaching level 20 won't suddenly make them change their mind. The game simply isn't for them.

You're a fan of hyperbole aren't you?

I'm level 21 and i'm definitely finding it a bit of a fucking grind.

Seems the light armour levelling system is based on random drops, which essentially means to level up enough to take part in the raid I'll have to replay the same strikes, maps, and patrols over and over in the hope of getting the right items.

Not exactly the most enticing of prospects, I'll be honest.

Getting to level 20 isn't a grind - that's the period where you're exploring new planets and encountering new baddies, just like a regular shooter. You zoom up through the levels - perhaps too quickly - so there's no need to repeat earlier missions in order to progress the 'story'.

Sorry to whomever sent me an invite last night (boodles?) I was watching the football then prepping for a nightly assault on the heroic daily and then the weekly strike.

Ended up in the Dust Palace quite late last night with two randoms, only for one to disconnect/quit at the last boss. Me and the other guy managed to finish and bloody hell was it intense and rewarding. The last bit of action was me scorch-punching the last Psion off the edge of the arena after he'd been hit by a rocket launcher blast :wub:

Getting to level 20 was a wonderful experience.

Now it seems like the hunt for light items is going to to take some serious time investment, repetition and commitment. Dunno man, it just doesn't seem that enjoyable anymore. if you carried on levelling like normal I could kind of forgive it, but that fact that you have to cross your fingers for a light drop just makes it deflating.

I did the heroic story, two strikes and some control last night and didn't even level up a smidge.

I'm starting to get a bit concerned at the match making in this. I know it flattens all the weapons to base stats etc etc, but it's making no attempt to match people with similar gear and perks together. I've just had three matches where myself, a lvl 15 and another lvl 21 were matched against 3 lvl 28s. Everything may go to it's base stats, but there is a massive advantage for those guys. One rocked a shotgun that would kill from full shields in one shot... for comparison my legendary shotgun would take 2 just to zero the same guys shield.

Absolute arse kicking is a pretty fair description of those matches.

Sadly wrong, almost ever game now has a quality clause within a contract with a publisher. It's normally around 85% and is tied to key bonus payouts.

I'd guess that Bungie will loose millions of dollars with the metacritic in the first 60 days is not 85% or higher.

I've know. Developers. It be paid millions because they got an 84%. It's a horrible arbitrary system to base a business on.

The real game starts at 85%.

Seems the light armour levelling system is based on random drops, which essentially means to level up enough to take part in the raid I'll have to replay the same strikes, maps, and patrols over and over in the hope of getting the right items.

Nope, it's absolutely 100% not based on random drops. There's a full set of legendary gear for each class (two sets, in fact) available from the vanguard shops in the hall of guardians. Combine vanguard bounties with daily/weekly heroic quests to quickly accrue the needed rep and marks to buy pieces of whichever set you want. Each piece you buy makes the next easier to get, as you'll be able to raise the level of the strikes and get more marks and rep.

There are also vanguard weapons sold by the shopkeeper near the woman who sells the ships.

If you don't fancy any of those (you should, but if you don't) you can gain rep for one of the three (I think) factions in the tower by equipping their cosmetic item in your class slot and then buy items from them instead.

There's also the shopkeeper guy who turns up every weekend to sell exotic items for strange coins and motes of light. I've got about 20 of each at the moment so I'm looking forward to the weekend! You get motes in place of XP and coins as a strike reward, so neither of those are random.

If PVE isn't your thing, you can pick up crucible bounties instead of gain crucible rep and marks, which you use to buy legendary weapons and gear. Or you can mix and match depending on what you feel like doing.

Any random drops are just that - random, nice to have but not to be relied upon.

Not exactly the most enticing of prospects, I'll be honest.

The light levelling system is based on equipment, yes.

However it's not all down to random drops. Sure you could just replay strikes again and again in the hope of something decent dropping but that could get a bit frustrating.

The designed mechanic is to work towards buying faction items (which give really good light levels) by completing (and ideally mastering) the full spectrum of game missions/modes and bounties.

EDIT: Or alternatively... what Moz said just before me ;)

The first one took me a couple of nights but they get easier as you get more marks for higher level strikes. Last night I got 65 marks in a couple of hours and bought some gauntlets.

The helmet is 120 marks though, so that's probably going to take a while, especially as you can only accrue 100 in a week!

But I guess when I hit 100 vanguard marks I'll switch over to crucible and try to get a nice legendary gun.