IGNORED

Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

Ah thats interesting. What if you dont have a lower level gun, can you just buy one in the tower?

Yes.

The gunsmith sells better stuff as you progress. At first he sells stuff with max level 8, and as you progress he sells better stuff.

A quick look at the Bungie app (which is pretty good) says that right now my level 18 character could buy the worst gun on offer at the gunsmith, which is about the same attack points as the gun my mate at level 11 is using.

If you were level 20 and a mate started the game, then you could start a new character (glimmer is shared between characters) and buy some really crappy guns -using the vault to transfer them to your main. That way you could engineer it so that you had some starter kit.

.That's kind of the way it works now to be honest, except that you have this artificial distinction between levels. The fact that the game rushes you through levels 1 - 20 so quickly says that Bungie wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible, so I guess it raises the question as to why it's in there at all.

To transition the dudebros from a Halo mindset to an MMO hybrid mindset. Only they do a really piss poor job of it.

All this said, I'm only playing it because I enjoy the gameplay so much. If there was nothing whatsoever to unlock I'd still be bashing away at it every night, just like I did with Left 4 Dead, because it's really fun.

The problem I see with loot farming is that you are not building up any faction or arena points, so although you may be rising in level thanks to whatever drops, you are only leaving yourself further behind, and tying yourself in to a situation where farming becomes your only viable option to progress.

An hour doesn't hurt every now and again though, and is quite fun in a mindless way.

So after years of playing Bungie's online shooters and the hundreds of hours I've put into them that's the answer? Sorry mate, your opinion isn't valid, we've done something different now, it's just for people who like this sort of thing.

This is the long term game, the big picture for Bungie and the only environment I'll be able to interact with their output and I don't meet the entrance criteria.

Not everything is for everyone, nor should it be.

However:

Halo5_2D_RP-Boxshot.png

To transition the dudebros from a Halo mindset to an MMO hybrid mindset. Only they do a really piss poor job of it.

All this said, I'm only playing it because I enjoy the gameplay so much. If there was nothing whatsoever to unlock I'd still be bashing away at it every night, just like I did with Left 4 Dead, because it's really fun.

That's the thing though - the core game is fantastic, and I don't think it needs the 1-20 stuff. If you get rid of the levels but keep the need to gain XP to unlock weapon perks and abilities, then a lot of the game's issues would be removed. Bungie would be able to better tune the levels for more Halo-style very difficult combat fun; players like kerraig would be able to play with his mates; you wouldn't have this weird larval stage of the game where you're teaching players one method of progressing, and then chucking it out and replacing it with a completely different one.

I can see the appeal of levelling, in that it is satisfying in a bubble-wrap kind of way, but I'm not sure what is adds to the game other than more loot (99% of which you'll chuck away), and I'm not sure of the appeal to the general audience either. They could have gotten rid of the numeric progression from 20 - 30 and replaced each tier with Elite-style titles - then you'd still have this sense of wonder at seeing mega-level players wandering round, and the game might seem to settle a bit more naturally into its niche of a shooter with RPG/MMO elements.

The game seems to be designed to work at its best when you and your mates are all 20+.

The fact that you level up so quickly and hit the cap in less than a week's not-too-intense play would suggest to me that Bungie were aware of the problems in teaming up with players of wildly differing levels, and are trying to smooth it out by getting everyone to the cap ASAP. It does make me wonder if the whole game could have used post-lvl20 structure, so that you keep the concept of XP and abilities, but instead of arbitrarily filling up a bar every so often, you just level up weapons and abilities.

That way, you'd still have a sense of progression as you unlock and build up abilities and hunt down rare weapons, but you'd still be able to go on raids and strikes with people who've been playing a lot longer than you. They'd have better powers than you, but it'd be more of a level playing field as one player's guns wouldn't be colossally more powerful than another's.

That's kind of the way it works now to be honest, except that you have this artificial distinction between levels. The fact that the game rushes you through levels 1 - 20 so quickly says that Bungie wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible, so I guess it raises the question as to why it's in there at all.

I assume it's a loose structure for playing the 'campaign' i.e going through all the story levels in order. It's tricky balancing act for sure and not totally successful.

I assume it's a loose structure for playing the 'campaign' i.e going through all the story levels in order. It's tricky balancing act for sure and not totally successful.

Just having the levels unlock one or two at a time as you complete them would do the same thing, surely?

That's the thing though - the core game is fantastic, and I don't think it needs the 1-20 stuff.

I actually agree with you here, they could have done away with it entirely and just started with the "light" stuff. And preferably explained it a whole lot better.

Just having the levels unlock one or two at a time as you complete them would do the same thing, surely?

Yeah I realised that as soon as I posted it :)

Maybe it's to get that "oooooh shit!" feeling when you run into super tough bads out in the free-roam area? And the idea that you'll come back later tooled up?

Yeah I realised that as soon as I posted it :)

Maybe it's to get that "oooooh shit!" feeling when you run into super tough bads out in the free-roam area? And the idea that you'll come back later tooled up?

Yeah, but there's hardly any of that - just a couple of caves with some scary high level monsters in there. It's not like wandering into New Londo in Dark Souls right from the first bonfire. The levelling feels like a compromise, something Bungie wanted to get done as quickly as possible. It's not a major problem because you get to level 20 so quickly, but it seems like an added complication onto an already pretty complicated game.

Another question: do you only get vanguard marks from strikes, or can you get them from the daily story mission as well?

You get them from daily story missions and strikes where indicated in here mission rewards summary, and also it would seem from public events, at least above a certain level. I gained 2 yesterday and that's the only explanation I have.

I'd just really like to see a game like this, with thousands of gun and equipment variants, and different daily strikes and new challenges, but with all the equipment unlocked from the start, putting the gameplay onus on trying different strategies and actual teamwork. I think it's just not really been done yet.

Imagine an enemy who had a weakspot that could only be hit with a shotgun blast, but it's covered with a plate that can only be destroyed with a sniper round, or an enemy that only takes damage when hit with two different types of projectile at the same time... or level design that only allowed one person to enter on the ground floor, while his partners are above giving cover.That sort of stuff to me is much more interesting than 'this enemy is a level 20 so I cant kill it cos i'm a level 18'.

This is exactly what is required for the raid and for higher difficulty strikes. Certain actions had to be completed in certain sequences and everyone's supers have to be co-ordinated to get the timing spot on.

That's exactly it. One person can do it for a while with the right timing, a few may slip out then you wait for the fallen to finish off any stragglers, two or three can lock it down completely. It also boosts your grimoire challenges for Old Russia, Hive, Thrall and Acolytes obviously.

@U-1. It does cheapen it a little but frankly the shitty practice of giving people blues from purple drops irritated me enough that I did it until I had a legendary....of course its a chest piece of which I have an exotic. They will fix it soon no doubt anyway, I swear drops are lower since Mondays patch.

Whilst chasing bounty completion on Mars I managed to single handledly start a high level Barney by alternately sniping cabal and spraying vex. Unfortunately, by the time I had got myself sorted out come down from my perch to attack the elites a high level fire team came swooping in and took them all out, together with any loot presumably.

Not everything is for everyone, nor should it be.

However:

The thing is, I feel that overall it is for me, it is exactly what a persistent world from Bungie should be like but I'm enjoying it less than I think I might otherwise because numbers fly out of every enemy I shoot and I have to keep going back to run around the tower after every level to get a new gun that's the same as the old one but with a higher number attached to it.

But more than that, I feel like Bungie have compromised their own principles to create this.

Great couple of strikes with Hardbattle and Ben last night. Thanks for the call up though not too sure how useful I was. I really like the way different areas open up with different strikes. I'd wandered off in totally the wrong direction from a story play through on one of them before I realised they had gone somewhere else. Had an amazing, tense to say the least, battle with some big fuck off priest/monster/whatever and won through. I got...a pair of crap bloody boots. :rolleyes:

Hopefully find time for some more over the weekend. Lvl 19 and rising... :)

PS4 has just posted its biggest week of the year in the US, and MCV can reveal it is the same for the UK, too.

A senior industry source quoting Chart-Track data told MCV that PS4 sales spiked 300 per cent week-on-week after the launch of Destiny. Of course, a percentage increase means noting without any actual figures, and although our source would not reveal exact numbers, he did confirm it was the biggest week of the year for PS4 hardware sales.

It outsold Xbox One hardware by two consoles to one, but it wasn't a bad week for Microsoft either, who also posted a significant sales hike week-on-week.

Destiny was bundled with PS4 hardware, and was heavily marketed alongside the console, so that explains why it has boosted PS4 sales so much. However, it's important to note that the 'average selling price' of Xbox One last week was just £306, the lowest price for either next-gen console since they launched. So Microsoft did benefit from the cheaper platform.

PS3 also had a good week and managed to beat sales of Xbox 360 hardware for a change. Again, there was a PS3/Destiny bundle.

It just goes to show that the 'unprecedented' partnership between Sony and Activision may have been worth the investment.

Microsoft will have a good chance to fight back this month, however. The firm has a partnership with EA for FIFA 15 (out September 26th), and it has its own relationship with Activision for Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, which arrives on November 4th.

Unfortunately, by the time I had got myself sorted out come down from my perch to attack the elites a high level fire team came swooping in and took them all out, together with any loot presumably.

While loot is client-specific (you never need to worry about someone else picking up a drop you've seen), you won't get many drops from baddies other players are killing.

Fuck, just bagged 2 usable exotics after levelling up the Cryptarc!

I've been making steady progress just doing the daily challenges, bounties and strike playlists so far but it looks like I'll have to do some farming if I want to upgrade my equipment quickly which is a bit crap.

Oh FFS. Fought my way through the Black Garden to what I assume is right near the end, and about wrap it up, and I am killed, not by the Vex, but by a fucking "anteater". I've not experienced that many disconnect errors, but that long-nosed bastard has pissed me right off.

Xur is back! (Though he's down by the speaker today)

13 Coin class armours:

Warlock gloves "Sunbreakers" (Same as last week :( boo hiss)

Hunter Chest "Lucky Raspberry"

Titan Helm called "Helm of Inmost Light"

17 Coin weapon

Gjallarhorn Rocket Launcher

23 Motes of Light

Random chest Engram

Material Exchange

2k Glimmer / 77Spinmetal / 77 Spirit Bloom - Not tested what this gets you yet

Bumped from a few pages back :)