Lost Odyssey

Vemsie

Yes - pretty much all of disc three forces you to use all the different party members.

Most of the hidden bosses on disc 4 will force you to include a certain character in the party. Ideally, you should probably keep Kaim and Seth, and rotate the others as much as possible. Remember, you can level up those with lower levels much quicker than those with higher levels, so it's not too much of a hassle.

My problem isn't so much leveling up as learning new skills.

Now I have Sed and Tolsen, I'm keen for all my immortals to acquire all of their cooler abilities

, which of course involves a lot of swapping around of party members and a lot of skill setting.

Not sure if this needed spoilering, but better safe than squished.

Yes - pretty much all of disc three forces you to use all the different party members.

Yeah I'd just been split up, wasn't sure they'd have to do an battling though, but it was what prompted the question.

Oh well suppose I'll have to do a bit of a grind with them. Fortunately as the two I haven't been levelling up aren't immortals it means that I haven't totally buggered them over slot seed wise.

Yeah I'd just been split up, wasn't sure they'd have to do an battling though, but it was what prompted the question.

Oh well suppose I'll have to do a bit of a grind with them. Fortunately as the two I haven't been levelling up aren't immortals it means that I haven't totally buggered them over slot seed wise.

Don't worry, the battles seem to have been weighted - taking into account the reduced party sizes.

I didn't have any problems on disc 3. In fact it was very enjoyable.

Just at the beginning of the 3rd disc and really really enjoying it. The random battles are spaced far enough apart not to get on my nerves and the battle system actual makes them quite enjoyable. Enjoying the story too, and obviously the dreams are excellent.

Just wanted to check one thing though. Is there any point in the game where you are forced to use certain chars as in battle? I've pretty much just used the same 5 people so 2 are massively underpowered. It's just I got caught out with that on FFVII back in the day and it f**ked me off royally.

Theoretically it would be worse in this as in VII the unused characters level gradually when out of use. Here they do not. Hence why I have a level 50 Kaim, Jansen, Sarah, Sed and Tolten and the rest at level 30.

ARGH!!! God damn Xbox 360!!!

I've just been playing and I'm on disc 2

Just reached Gongora in the experimental staff and after losing the fight (I hate it when you're forced to lose) the sequence of the staff starting to explode began

and then.... BLACK. No red lights, no weird noises coming from the 360, the game just stopped. I left it there for about 10 minutes and nothing happened, I've turned it off in disgust for now, my last save isn't far away at all, it just pissed me off too much though.

I've more or less kept all my characters at the same level, with Kaim currently at level 55, and the rest 50 upwards. It's definitely worth levelling up your mortal characters, as it unlocks lots of cool skills for your immortals to learn. Jansen's Double Cast skill is ace! Two spells in one turn! ZAP!

Theoretically it would be worse in this as in VII the unused characters level gradually when out of use. Here they do not. Hence why I have a level 50 Kaim, Jansen, Sarah, Sed and Tolten and the rest at level 30.

It takes one fight to level up an underlevelled member of the group.

Now then, I'm on disc 4 and love this game, but one thing has me stumped, after hours spent working my way through

the temple of enlightenment, I've fought the Ghost of the Eastern Ruins hidden boss, but I'm not getting Macks ultimate weapon - the phoenix discus and ring. In fact I've killed the boss twice, first time Mack was dead at the end of the fight so I thought that was why, so I reloaded and did it again, this time he survived.

But while I get the skill slot and spirit of self sacrifice, I'm still not getting Macks weapon.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I must be doing something wrong, just gone back to look for them, but no sign anywhere. No chest, no sparkly thing - I'm assuming they should be in the

Altar of Truth, where you fight the boss, right?

They should be where you fight the boss, yes. It's just a sparkly thing, I think. I'm pretty sure there's no special conditions needed to get them. They should be there.

They should be where you fight the boss, yes. It's just a sparkly thing, I think. I'm pretty sure there's no special conditions needed to get them. They should be there.

I just got them. I hadn't realised they were part of a treasure hunt - had to go back to Numara, get the clue and then go back to the altar.

I don't know why I bothered really, it's a crap weapon and Mack isn't a regular in the pt :D

I'm also taking a break from this but the save points aren't bothering me, it's the scratched 4th disc and the 'unreadable disc' error that's causing the problem :lol:. I knew as soon as I fucking opened the thing that packaging the last disc in a paper sleeve was a really bad idea, those things are useless at keeping discs undamaged. Anyone know what Zavvi are like for returns? I'll probably have to take it to a different one to the one I bought it from and hope they don't take the receipt back since my Premium's on there too.

I AM RAGE. Got it swapped for a new one, the disc's absolutely spotless and I'm still getting errors constantly. Every other game is working absolutely fine but with this I'm in constant fear of every bit of loading which isn't really any fit way to play the remaining 10/20/however many hours. Having a Google suggests it's a common problem with the game and probably doesn't mean it's your 360 starting to die so I don't really know what to do, after nearly forty hours it's totally gutting.

Amazing irony in people going on about consoles being so much less hassle than playing games on the PC, I've never had anything remotely as irritating happen with a PC game.

Excuse me if this has already been mentioned, but I don't want to trawl through the thread and I want to avoid spoilers, of course:

I'm interested in this game, but I would like to know a few things about it before I take the plunge.

1. How long would it take me to go through the main storyline at a leisurely pace.

2. The battle system.. Is there enough depth/variation there to keep me interested over the course of the game?

3. Random battles.. Are they super-frequent and frustrating?

4. Generally, if I go through the game without rushing through sections, will I be able to avoid grinding?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

I AM RAGE. Got it swapped for a new one, the disc's absolutely spotless and I'm still getting errors constantly. Every other game is working absolutely fine but with this I'm in constant fear of every bit of loading which isn't really any fit way to play the remaining 10/20/however many hours. Having a Google suggests it's a common problem with the game and probably doesn't mean it's your 360 starting to die so I don't really know what to do, after nearly forty hours it's totally gutting.

Amazing irony in people going on about consoles being so much less hassle than playing games on the PC, I've never had anything remotely as irritating happen with a PC game.

Try loading three different games before putting LO in again as this will clear the cache.

1. Roughly 50-60 hours I reckon.

2. I think so yes. It keeps it interesting by gradually introducing characters with different skills which can upturn any excessive repetition.

3. The encounter rate is spot-on. They will occur when you least want them to, but that's random battles for you.

4. Yes. As long as you don't skimp on setting up/developing your party. It's relatively painless to do a couple of extra battles when you sense a boss coming (at a save point), to tip a couple of characters into the next level.

I broke the game today. On disc 4, doing a treasure hunt back in the Great Ancient Ruins, and I'm in the heat of battle. I've got two enemies left, and thought I'd try out my newly acquired

Death

spell. So now I've wiped out one more enemy, and I'm down to the last one and it's his turn. Except... his turn never comes. There's the little picture of the enemy in the bottom left with "Turn" on it, and you know how the camera slowly spins around between turns? The game just keeps on doing that. I left it going, and eventually the camera has gone through the floor, until finally, the entire Ancient Ruins has becoming nothing but a mesh of polygons hovering and spinning in an empty black void, in the distance.

I haven't casted the

Death

spell since, just in case. :D

Excuse me if this has already been mentioned, but I don't want to trawl through the thread and I want to avoid spoilers, of course:

I'm interested in this game, but I would like to know a few things about it before I take the plunge.

1. How long would it take me to go through the main storyline at a leisurely pace.

2. The battle system.. Is there enough depth/variation there to keep me interested over the course of the game?

3. Random battles.. Are they super-frequent and frustrating?

4. Generally, if I go through the game without rushing through sections, will I be able to avoid grinding?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

You should not have to grind at all for experience through the main story - you will see that after a certain point in each new area your characters stop gaining any measurable exp and at that point you are suitably levelled up for the area boss. You may want to grind to learn skills though. In the optional content there are a few places where grinding is helpful, as ever, but then if you do the last boss becomes a walk in the park.

The battle system is pretty standard really - turn based with the addition of a ring a bit like in Shadow Hearts where you have to release the trigger at the right momemt for maximum effect e.g to take advantage of elemental damage on a ring you have equipped. During the course of the game you make a number of rings from components dropped in battle - these can be switched around at any time. You will also need to consider the balance of immortal and mortal characters in your party - the latter need to be levelled up for access to their skills by the immortals but the former, as their name suggests, are automatically resurrected after 3 turns if they fall in battle (which is a big help in boss battles). Battles are fairly quick and have super music. I would say they are not super frequent but of course they will be at those times you are limping back to a save point (and as ever there is no quick save option so be prepared to invest a couple of hours in the game each time you play).

40-50 hours should see you through the main story line but the rewards from the optional stuff make it very worthwile to do.

Fresh Lost Odyssey content in April

News by Rob Purchese

Today 11:18

Microsoft plans to release fresh downloadable content for Lost Odyssey in Japan on 10th April.

It'll involve travelling to a secret underwater research facility in your Nautilus ship, according to Watch Impress, and will cost 400 Points (GBP 3.40 / EUR 4.80).

Judging by a rough translation, the content opens up on disc four and sees you puzzling your way through the facility while fighting things like fish monsters.

The lure for doing all this is an accessory that teaches you a powerful ability. You will need to amass 999 skill points while wearing it to learn the skill, which appears to be something to do with lowering MP consumption to zero.

I've just finished this.

Wow. A Thousand Times...Wow...

I was literally erect for the last two hours or so. It's probably the most satisfying game I've ever played.

The final boss battle was great. The music. The graphics. The

support from the mortals

. I was alternating between goosebumpy rapture and punching the air.

Punching the air.

The ending was beautiful. The characters were treated with a good deal of respect. Special mention muct go to Jansen. You'd be forgiven for thinking he was a sleazy prick within the first couple of hours. By the end of it, he's a legend.

His wisecracks. His relationship with Ming. His character development.

I also laughed at the

crying whores at the wedding.

Simply amazing. <_<

I was like,

WTF? He actually invited the whores to a wedding with the Queen of Numara?

And then I laughed my ass of. :D

Legendary character indeed.

One of the best end sequences ever.

There was something about the lighting and the quality of animation on the scenes at

the beach with Kaim, Sarah, Mack and Cooke that was really special.

There was something about the lighting and the quality of animation on the scenes at

the beach with Kaim, Sarah, Mack and Cooke that was really special.

It was actually calming. It indeed gave you a feeling of conclusion like "all the bad things are now gone..." I actually wanted

Seth

to be there...

:D

Well, 60 odd hours later i've finished this (apart from the optional temple dungeon).

really enjoyed it, apart from one thing, the save points. By eck theres a couple in there that where just too far apart by half, is it that hard to allow a save anywere system? or now i think of it; a warp out of dungeon ability, like Zelda and i think Blue dragon.

Going through dungeons, levelling up experience and skills for a couple of hours with no save point in sight, to then get hit with a boss battle before a save is a bit much.

Other than that, great game.

I demand they knock another one up post haste, im at a bit of a loss now its all over.