IGNORED

"Nintendo is losing audience, not expanding it"

rubberducker

Sony: Nintendo is losing audience, not expanding it

Posted Sep 22nd 2006 9:25PM by Blake Snow

Filed under: Nintendo DS, Sony PlayStation 3, Sony PSP, Nintendo Wii, Business

In an interview with GameDaily, Sony VP Jack Tretton spoke out about the PSP versus DS market share battle. He believes according to early adoption rates of both the PSP and DS that Nintendo may actually be losing its core gamer audience instead of expanding upon it. From the interview:

"[Nintendo and their DS] are appealing to the same audience that Game Boy has always appealed to. And if you look at the adoption rate of the DS over the first 17 months, not only does it trail the PSP but it also trails their other platforms ... They're potentially losing some of their core audience and they're not really expanding beyond that, and we think we're expanding into a completely new audience as we did with PlayStation ... we'll dip down to the younger consumer eventually, and we'll ultimately appeal to that vastly Earth wide audience we carved out with the original PlayStation."

Does this mean Tretton believes Nintendo is trying to grow the market that PSX already expanded? There's no denying that the original PlayStation and even PS2 expanded the total number of console owners in the world, but the belief that the PSP and PS3 will expand to non-gamers without even trying is news to us.

"DS adoption rate trailing PSP"

:angry::lol::D:lol:

Let's not forget that DS is selling faster than the incredibly sucessful GBA did too. But hey, Sony man claims it's "trailing PSP and [Nintendo's] other platforms"!

Sony: If at first you can't win, tell astonishing lies to make people think you are.

Nintendo are potentially losing their core audience?

They don't even have a core audience anymore. They're living the dream, and Sony = DOOMED.

Last I heard, about 10 years ago, Nintendo's (and Sega's) core users had all grown up and bought playstations.

PR people are always entertaining.

Japan Game Sales Week of September 4-10, 2006

1 Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition | Platform: PSP

2 New Super Mario Bros. Platform: DS

3 Final Fantasy III | Platform: DS

4 Tingle RPG | Platform: DS

5 Kahashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu: Motto Nou o Kitaeru Otona DS Training | Platform: DS

6 Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navi | Platform: DS

7 Rhythm Tengoku | Platform: GBA

8 Animal Crossing: Wild World | Platform: DS

9 Phantasy Star Universe | Platform: PS2

10 Mario Hoops 3 on 3 | Platform: DS

Best Buy US console charts: September 5-11, 2006

1 New Super Mario Bros. Platform: DS

2 Madden NFL 07 | Platform: PS2

3 Madden NFL 07 | Platform: X360

4 Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day | Platform: DS

5 Saints Row | Platform: X360

6 NASCAR 07 | Platform: PS2

7 Mario Kart DS | Platform: DS

8 Star Fox Command | Platform: DS

9 LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy | Platform: PS2

10 Tetris DS | Platform: DS

UK Charts WEEK ENDING 16 September 2006 (rubbish due to format merging, but DS titles can be shown)

1 LEGO STAR WARS II: THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY | Multi
2 DEAD RISING | 360
3 SAINTS ROW | 360
4 CARS | Multi
5 TEST DRIVE UNLIMITED | 360
6 DR KAWASHIMA'S BRAIN TRAINING | DS
7 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. | DS
8 GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIES | Multi
9 LEGO STAR WARS | Multi
10 THE SIMS 2 MAXIS | Multi

Hardware Japan From: Aug 21 - 27, 2006

Console | Week | Year
Nintendo DS Lite 163,274 3,967,887
PSP 29,945 1,228,844
PlayStation 2 21,829 957,440
GameBoy Advance SP 2,719 189,191
GameBoy Micro 1,819 117,560
Xbox 360 1,197 68,677
GameCube 837 63,116
Nintendo DS 310 952,959
GameBoy Advance 14 3,013
Xbox 12 1,649

So I've just taken a snap shot of recent charts from the three major territories, and I'm struggling to see where he's focusing the angle of the rant?

[snip] "not only does it trail the PSP but it also trails their other platforms"

So the DS is trailing the PSP (which we find no evidence of) and THEIR other platforms, being the Advance, the Gamecube, SNES and NES? Which I'm pretty sure the DS is fighting well against, although I don't have the figures for that.

The discussion then moved onto the portable space. Interestingly, the PSP has actually had a higher adoption rate than the PS1. Looking at the 18 months after launch of each system, the PSP sold 5.30 million units in America compared to the PS1's 3.48 million, according to SCEA internal sell-through data. Furthermore, while the DS has been an unbelievable success in Japan, in North America since the PSP launched it's outsold the DS, roughly 5 million units to 4.1 million units. Life-to-date, however, the DS still has a larger installed base in North America (5.6 million vs. 4.9 million).

He continued, "I think obviously our competition, the handheld devices from Nintendo and specifically in the case of the DS, we really feel like they're appealing to the same audience that Game Boy has always appealed to. And if you look at the adoption rate of the DS over the first 17 months, not only does it trail the PSP but it also trails their other platforms... They're potentially losing some of their core audience and they're not really expanding beyond that and we think we're expanding into a completely new audience as we did with PlayStation. And we'll do just what we did on PlayStation; we'll dip down to the younger consumer eventually and we'll ultimately appeal to that vastly Earth wide audience we carved out with the original PlayStation."

EARTH WIDE AUDIENCE!

"Run for the hills Ma' that there PSP is coming for us!"

Is this for real? It has to be a joke right?

I've no idea where he's getting his figures from- the DS is about the most consistently high-selling handheld since... well, God knows when. It's selling faster than the GBA, right? And it can't be selling slower than the GC...

Real life can be a drag sometimes. I want to live in a magical fantasy land with topless amazons riding unicorns. I suspect Sony's PR training is the only thing that can skew my view of reality enough to make that happen. Help me out Sony!

On another note, how the hell is Mario Kart DS still in the US chart. Yes, it's an ace game, but hasn't it already been out for over a year?

Sounds like he's slupring meths while shouting wild lies and speculations at worried passers-by. Somebody give the poor fella some Special Brew.

So, yeah, Sony's management is now possessed by the spirits of angry, disillusioned alcoholic Glaswegian jakie ex-games writers. I know that Dominik Diamond was up to something.

Thing is people will believe it. Not us because we're uber nerds. The kids on the street though, they will and that'll affect the way people perceive things and pretty soon the figures match what he's said. Oh I hate you, you cunts, Sony. *shakes fist*

Unless it's Fiddy Cent making these announcements I doubt the kidz will ever hear of this stuff.

Cmon Sony, get Fiddy up making your press announcements, that'd give old Reggie a run for his money.

What I don't understand is why don't the interviewers ever pull people up on their crazy fantasies? At least ask for some clarification.

The PR entrourage with the interviewee would probably cut the interview short (citing some excellent excuse or just poppin' a cap in yo' bitch ass in my 50 Cent-based PR future). Especially if it's the VP of a major Japanese multinational you've decided to pull up for talking pish.

It's so much easier just to nod, go "uh huh", and post it all up. Plus, y'know, mental comments tend to up your pageviews.