Are we ready for ZG?

U2031

Our uber mage and our GM want us to start ZG, but a lot of the others don't think we're ready. We went once before to have a look, and with two disconnects and some no-shows we had 12 people. We wiped at the first set of mobs, but we did fine up until the group before the first boss, where we wiped again and went to UBRS instead.

The concensus was that we should concentrate on getting our full T0 sets before we tried again, most people have between 3-8 parts. The management want to start up again now that we have more active people. I asked a friend in real life, and he said that ZG was more about tactics, and lots of sheeping rather than having mega gear. He also says that the items from ZG will stand you in good stead for MC. One of our veteran players insists that you need loads of NR gear, but I don't know.

There's still resistance from a lot of people, but I've decided that I'd like to go, even if we get battered, we're still learning the ropes for there.

When did you lot start? Should we give it a try?

I asked a friend in real life, and he said that ZG was more about tactics, and lots of sheeping rather than having mega gear.

I'd go with this, my guild has only just started doing ZG and almost all of us are in assorted blues and greens, we can take down 3 or 4 bosses with out much trouble although we had a bit of a nightmare with the panther boss last week but that was due to tiredness, TS crashing and general poor communication rather than a lack of gear.

We had a similar dilema when we started s - ome said we weren't ready (including me) but we went for it anyway. Not really enough people to get a full \ balanced party. Wiped a whole lot of times on the way to the first boss and even more when we got there. At first we could only go once a week so progress was really slow but everytime we got a new boss it was a real sense of satisfaction. We ended up teaming with another guild and are now raiding MC with them and have finally killed Hakkar.

I'd definately say go for it if you can as it's great fun - if you can't get a full group from in guild then ask people on your friends list. Also, it might stop people who want to raid leaving for bigger guilds and might also help you recruit more people too. You don't need nature resistance either.

The concensus was that we should concentrate on getting our full T0 sets before we tried again, most people have between 3-8 parts. The management want to start up again now that we have more active people. I asked a friend in real life, and he said that ZG was more about tactics, and lots of sheeping rather than having mega gear. He also says that the items from ZG will stand you in good stead for MC. One of our veteran players insists that you need loads of NR gear, but I don't know.

It really is mainly a question of tactics and, initially, class balance. Of course, better gear helps but I would recommend you don't get too hung up about Tier 0, or even the upgraded versions as you'd be better off getting non-set blues from Stratholme, the Scholomance, and, in particular, Dire Maul. For a tank, things like Kromcrush's Chestplate, for casters, the Crown of the Ogre King, Crimson Felt Hat, Maleki's Footwraps, etc.

As for NR gear, only Mar'li is worth even considering it for otherwise not at all. Venoxis produces a nasty poison cloud as well but NR gear would buy your melee maybe a second more at best to get out of it and gimping for NR gear would leave a tank somewhat weak when he transforms. A hunter's NR aura and, if you're Horde, a shaman's poison cleansing totem should be enough.

As Space Reporter said I don't think you really need and NR gear at all in ZG, you could perhaps bring a couple of Greater Nature Res potions for Venoxis maybe but I wouldn't worry too much about gimping out on NR gear.

ZG is pretty hard at first some of the trash can be a real pain for a good while (I still hate those bloodrinker guys, and the bat bombs but I believe they are nerfed now)and the bosses too of course. The guild I was in spent a fair few wipes getting the Panther boss down, a fair few. But the more you run it, the more you get the tactics down suddenly it will just click. As an instance it pisses on MC from a great height in terms of being a fun and interesting time. I love the place. If you click the Snap profile below you can see the gear I had whilst I was running it and it started out actually worse than that so I wouldn't bother too much about having 'mega' gear.

I agree with Ulala. Thier0 is SHIT anyways. I started to collect my Tier0 as soon as I hit lvl 60 thinking it was the best gear around (outside the raid instances minus UBRS) but even before I got my fourth Tier0 drop I was fully kitted with better anything than ANY of the Tier0 parts. All of which I obtained in Scholo, Strat, the Blackrock Spires and the DM wings.

Instead of concentrating too much on one specific instance for specific drops I'd reccommend you take the DM North Tribute Run as often as possible as you're guaranteed several blue drops as reward.

As for ZG, the place isn't that hard (hear me out) in itself and you don't need über gear. We started doing ZG once a week back in the end of May with my guild and back then we weren't even 20 lvl 60s in our guild. We started collaborating with another guild in the same situation and after a couple of weeks we got Venoxxis and Jek'lik down. From there it became easier and easier as we geared up all casters with the nice caster drops from ZG.

ZG is all about teamplay and tactics. Even hardcore MC guilds has had problems adapting to the tactics required in ZG. We did it the other way around due to a lack of lvl 60 members in our guilds so we cleared ZG before we did MC. ZG is deemed a harder instance to clear than MC by many. I guess they are equally challenging but for diffrent reasons.

Another think I'd reccommend. Go to Silithus (one person should be enough, then he can share.) and get the quest 'Perfect Poison'. You'll need to take down Venoxxis in ZG and Kurinaxx in AQ20 to complete it but with some trial and error you should be able to do it within a week. There's a range of weapons to choose as a reward, personally I still use the 1h healing mace from there when I solo farm.

Here's the quest details and rewards: http://www.thottbot.com/?qu=9023

I wish you good luck on your adventures, may they be fruitful :D

I think that if people in the guild don't feel ready then they may not perform 100%. I'd say that collecting some Tier 0 and especially upgrading them to 0.5 would be good. Running instances over and over will help with teamwork. With ZG you do need to be organised. Like most raid instances you need to know your role. MC was always shit for this as there were essentially 40 people all feeling a bit anonymous and healers were casting offensive stuff and people don't decurse because they really believe their frostbolt is going to make all the difference. It's also hard to work out who's doing what wrong, something that's easier in ZG.

Also you say that you only have 12 people? Bump it up to a full 20 and I think you'll all feel a lot more 'ready'. Perhaps you don't want to try it, fail and leave everyone demoralised with repair bills and snapping at each other.

Would also be worth equipping your healers in Hide of the Wilds and stuff like that which is good and can be made with just farming. It's amazing the difference in morale a couple of epics can make. Trufaith Vestments/Robe of the Void/Archmage, Belt of the Archmage, Sageblade, and all the random drop ones/tier 0.5. Get your troops in the right blue gear and you'll have a much more confident guild ready to take on ZG.

Perhaps even have a couple of 'ready' guild people ask if they can join a pug or spare slot in a guild run so they can get an idea of the layout and tactics. I mean, it's nice to do everything yourself, but everyone is different.

As Space Reporter said I don't think you really need and NR gear at all in ZG, you could perhaps bring a couple of Greater Nature Res potions for Venoxis maybe but I wouldn't worry too much about gimping out on NR gear.

I never bother with NR since it gimps my tanking. On Veno, you just move out of the cloud and you don';t get hit for thousands of nature damage. Get a bossmods addon like Bigwigs and you can see when he's about to drop it.

Tony the tiger is about Tanking gear and getting in the right place, Both Bloodlord and Hakkar is all about tanking gear and ace healing. Apart from that it's all about co-ordination.

It makes a massive difference if you can get a reasonably stable raid group. It's all very well getting in a bunch of friends to make up the empty spaces, but they probably won't be coming every week, and they'll be taking loot away from your guild.

Try and recruit a few more like-minded people into your guild if you can, and explain to them that you really want people who will raid ZG regularly with you.

There really is nothing to stop you going in there with a mixture of blues/greens, as long as your people know their roles. There will be lots of wipes to begin with, but you'll make progress fairly quickly, and it's wicked fun.

Whilst better gear won't do any harm, the thing you need to make progress in ZG is having everyone on-the-ball and paying attention - and knowing their class and role in the place.

ZG is unusual in that there are a LOT of trash mobs (and there used to be WAY more!!) and they're pretty-tough (anyone starting a solo battle is gonna get pwned - unlike some UBRS mobs, for example) - meaning you have to progress carefully and make maximum use of crowd-control, focussed fire and all the other things which a practiced group will need to master sooner or later.

In some ways, MC is easier as the mobs are more spaced-out and it's more about gear and outright firepower - and having closer to 40 people of course :D

Sheer numbers of people will help too - especially if your gear is less-than-ideal - but everyone needs to be on Teamspeak/Ventrilo, using CTRA, Decursive etc. etc.

You also need a leader who knows the layout of the place (or is a faster learner), who can sort teams and knows people's roles in detail - and who people will listen to and not just go off and 'do their own thing'.

It's upto you whether you read strat-guides to find out the 'tricks of the trade' - but it's a quick leg-up if you need it too.

Gear helps, but you should be able to get the first two bosses without too many problems. Expect a few wipes though. Spider is a bit more tricky but doable too. Bloodlord you need a decently kitted tank and some decent healers. Aim for that to start with. You'll get some nice gear in there too to help with the process.

When we started ZG it took 2 or 3 raids to get the snake boss. Another 3 or 4 raids to get the bat and at least another 2 after that to get the spider. Bear in mind that this was with a group of people who had never raided beyond UBRS and were dressed at best in all blue T0 level stuff and at worst in crappy pre 60 greens. It was also only one raid a week often without a full party and \ or short of healers with a huge turnover of people from friends lists and occasionally even LFG to make up numbers. In fact our only saving grace was that our 2 MTs were (and still are) very good and also did their best to compensate for lack of gear with preparation.

Still enjoyed every minute of it and it's made us better players. We worked so hard to get the first bat kill that I enjoyed it more than when Hakkar eventually went down. It's still the biggest cheer on Teamspeak to date (btw Teamspeak or an equivalent is pretty much essential).

When we started ZG it took 2 or 3 raids to get the snake boss. Another 3 or 4 raids to get the bat and at least another 2 after that to get the spider. Bear in mind that this was with a group of people who had never raided beyond UBRS and were dressed at best in all blue T0 level stuff and at worst in crappy pre 60 greens. It was also only one raid a week often without a full party and \ or short of healers with a huge turnover of people from friends lists and occasionally even LFG to make up numbers. In fact our only saving grace was that our 2 MTs were (and still are) very good and also did their best to compensate for lack of gear with preparation.

Still enjoyed every minute of it and it's made us better players. We worked so hard to get the first bat kill that I enjoyed it more than when Hakkar eventually went down. It's still the biggest cheer on Teamspeak to date (btw Teamspeak or an equivalent is pretty much essential).

That's sounds exactly like our guild(s)...are you in TAZ by any chance?

Hi,

I bet you are ready. See, the whole point is: you need experience and ZG is THE place to get high lvl raids experience. There is no other place that teaches high lvl basics like ZG do.

Mate, I did ZG with 25% Tier 0 set, as did the rest of the guild. First time we wiped; blooddrinkers were fucking us, Berserkers beat us up and Snake boss farted poison in our melted faces. After a few tries - and reading guides - we ran through ZG like crazy. Hell, we even improvised by using bears as tanks :lol:

Seriously, do ZG. It is great fun, people learn to play their class, you do not need high end gear or resistances, and you get some wicked gear :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

ZG is arguably alot harder then Molten Core. Basically when can clear Zul'Gurrub you should easily be able to kick ass in the Core.

Alot of the ZG bosses are based upon the same principles as the MC ones. Except you just cant zerg them to death lol.

For example the Snake boss is principally the same tactic as Sulfuron (seperate him from the adds, kill the adds, kill him).

In Molten Core you can basically go half AFK (i know i have) and no-one will notice you missing. ZG really teaches you how to play your class well, and its alot more fun!