IGNORED

Commodore 64 Playables

Vimster

This is inspired by the recent thread about Spectrum games that still stand up to play today, plus the fact some C64 games may be available on the Wii Virtual Console thingy.

So, we all know the classics, but what games are actually still playable?

Boulderdash - still a great game, although there are tons of user-created levels out there not all of them are that playable. If you get lucky, it's a total pleasure.

Most Codemasters stuff - you can say what you like about them, but generally their budget 8-bit stuff was really high-quality, and whilst not all are classics, most are still very playable.

Creatures / Creatures 2 - you can feel the love put into these games. Creatures could be a frustrating platformer but the general presentation and variety made up for it. Creatures 2 took the best bits from 1 and made it better. All this coming from a proud owner of a boxed disc copy :wub:

.... and a load more, let's have them!

Iridis Alpha - the title for my favouritest game ever remains unchallenged thanks to this beauty. Mindblowingly fast, with lots of clever gameplay ideas (the speed/score bonus, the different enemies in the waves, the downloading of energy into the core, the recharging shield) and a gameworld that, despite being broken up into different planets and another parallel universe with mirrored planets, only needs a joystick to navigate.

Iridis Alpha - the title for my favouritest game ever remains unchallenged thanks to this beauty. Mindblowingly fast, with lots of clever gameplay ideas (the speed/score bonus, the different enemies in the waves, the downloading of energy into the core, the recharging shield) and a gameworld that, despite being broken up into different planets and another parallel universe with mirrored planets, only needs a joystick to navigate.

It's initially confusing, but has a surprising amount of depth for a fast zapper of a game.

Another vote for Wizball -- the whole colouring-in-the-landscape thing is still as addictive as ever. And the music!

Impossible Mission is still very, very playable as well. I love the paranoid robots who stop every couple of inches to look back over their shoulders. And the noise whenever you get fried is spot on.

With all the usual suspects lined up I thought I'd add a couple from the left field.

Card Sharks

Card_Sharks_ingame.gif

When I get a hankering to play Hearts this is what I load up.

PSI 5 Trading Company

Psi-5_Trading_Company_ingame1.gif

You're in control of a trading ship. Sort of. You have to do a trading run while dealing with pirates. The great thing is that you just give orders out to the crew under your control. (With the disk version you can even choose who you want to employ to man the various stations.) 20 years after buying this for the complete bargain of $10AU I still dig it out to play.

Fiendish Freddies Big O Top Fun

great multiplayer game

players2.gif

When Amiga Freddy Sizzled last year, we regarded C64 conversion with scepticism. But a sensible C64 multiload means almost nothing has been lost - there's even the hilarious intro. Considering the manic cartoon-style humour of the original, including a scene where the fallen tightrope walker clings to the rope before Freddy smashes his hand, this is an incredible achievement.

But behind the graphics there's lots of playability - the juggling is particularly fun. In effect Freddy offers six hilarious above-average mini-games which can be combined into a single big game, all at a bargain price. Great fun!

The Great Giana Sisters - a classic. lovely gameplay, gfx, music

Krakout - very nice horizontal breakout game

Commando - great conversion with incredible Rob Hubbard music

Ghosts 'n Goblins - another fine conversion, the music rules

IK+ - still plays brilliant

I fired up VICEx the other day and had a go on Slimey's Mine, an old Firebird title that was surprisingly playable. You jump around these stones, enter rooms, shoot everything, pick up stuff, move on. A bit confusing, and the sampled speech gets on your nerves after a while ("argh! eeeek! screen cleared!"), but it wiled away a good half hour. Not sure it's playable to anyone over the age of 20 though.

I haven't actually - though Thunderbolt rings a bell. Been a while since I touched a C64, really. I always recall Platoon being very good though I've no idea if it's still playable. Was quite different though.

I also love Demons of Topaz even if it is a Manic Miner clone. Rock hard it is.