The Official Robin Hood Topic

PopeSmokesDope

ITV 3 ran a load of episodes of Robin of Sherwood today. I only caught one, it was the first episode I'd seen, and it was the last episode of the second series, but it was utterly magnificent. Compared with how easily the and how often the BBC Merry Men are captured by Nottingham, the ITV equivalent looked effortlessly epic. Will Scarlet versus thirty plus heavily armoured soldiers, and absolutely hopeless situation, and he still goes down swinging for maximum blood.

And as for Robin's last stand . . .

Funny, I was just about to say the same. Robin of Sherwood, even the Jason Connery ones, pisses on the BBC's version of the legend from a skyscraper. On Mount Everest. There's a wonderful, dreamlike quality to it yet it dishes out the badass quotient frequently and brilliantly (chiefly thanks to Nassir and Ray Winstone's awesome Scarlet).

I really expected Marion to come back to life after Rob kissed her. Words fail me, it seems to get worse as the weeks go by.

Ger off it was a good episode for once. Little bit silly at the start with the ninja moves but it improved greatly. At last they didn't have to rescue someone from Nottingham! Looking forward to the next episode, which is something I thought I'd never say about this mediocre series.

Ger off it was a good episode for once. Little bit silly at the start with the ninja moves but it improved greatly. At last they didn't have to rescue someone from Nottingham! Looking forward to the next episode, which is something I thought I'd never say about this mediocre series.

If you mean Marion being picked up and then backflipping over Gisbourne then you need your head looking at. It was laughable throughout, the ending was the worst piece of TV Ive seen in a long time.

If you mean Marion being picked up and then backflipping over Gisbourne then you need your head looking at. It was laughable throughout, the ending was the worst piece of TV Ive seen in a long time.

Yeah that bit where she flipped over. God that was awful. How in hell can you like it? Those moments always ruin the show.

The ending was great because she died and didn't come back to life. You make it sound like you actually wanted that! God no, death is good but fake deaths are awful.

Unless it's Baloo of course. Best non-death ever.

Yeah that bit where she flipped over. God that was awful. How in hell can you like it? Those moments always ruin the show.

The ending was great because she died and didn't come back to life. You make it sound like you actually wanted that! God no, death is good but fake deaths are awful.

Unless it's Baloo of course. Best non-death ever.

Im betting the knife Guy used to cut her belly was coated in a poison that just fakes death. In fact we could have some fun with this and try to work out how she will come back to life before the next episode.

• 9 months later...

They seemed to have toned it down a bit with none of the awful slow mo special effects. But most of the historical stuff is still there in all its awfulness. Robin is still wearing a hoody. Some woman was actually wearing makeup to fool him, even with a pair of false teeth. When it came to the big reveal she actually pulled it all off quite slowly, you could even see the false lashes. Now I don’t seem to remember makeup being available 1000 years ago. At least not to this degree.

I did like the sheriffs sister, she looked sort of hot in that corset and with a whip. But then they killed her off and we are stuck with that marion again. Overall it was pretty average. Lets hope it can improve upon last year.

I read in the paper that the guy who plays Robin has buffed up and whacked on a stone of muscle for this series, so he doesn't come across as a skinny cunt who'd get knocked over by a slight breeze. Did he look any tougher then?

Not much, no.

A real shame to kill off Davina after just one episode, even though it does set up the "kill the Sheriff and Nottinghamshire gets it" premise nicely. Too many anachronisms - "get up to speed", the black berets - but still good family fun. I imagine BBC killed ITV in the ratings, with this and Strictly Come Dancing...

I read in the paper that the guy who plays Robin has buffed up and whacked on a stone of muscle for this series, so he doesn't come across as a skinny cunt who'd get knocked over by a slight breeze. Did he look any tougher then?

I'd heard this as well. But he just looked to be extremely fat. His face was very podgy and it just doesnt look right.

I am also getting very peed off with this whole "Robin can't kill anyone". It just makes the whole show seem really lame.

• 2 months later...
Just watched (most of) the new episode. It's utter tripe isn't it?

Crap script and wierd direction. When they came out of the hide at the end of the opening sequence they were all grinning and apparently staring at something. Odd.

Not a patch on the 80's series.

The first line is amazing coming from an undying supporter of the new Who which at times is the worst thing on TV.

To be fair I didn't see the first episode of this season but I've been watching it from episode 2 and apart from the god awful title sequence I'm amazed at how much better this series is than the previous. Gone are all the poorly shot fights and in are some great cameo parts and funny scripts. I'm assuming that after the slating the first series got that somebody got a firing.

So it's the end of series 2 tomorrow and this time last year I'd never have expected that I would be excited for it. I'm surprised more people haven't been watching it. Christ people on here watch any fun tat on a saturday evening like Primeval and Doctor Who. Not that I'm saying Hood is perfect either. The rather good episode with the sleep walking sheriff was spoiled by the "massive" army which was just the same shot repeated over and over. I guess it as pushing the limits of it's budget.

Anyone one more episode to catch up on, I really hope Gisbourne gets the girl.

I'm actually tempted to watch the 2 parter finale tomorrow (with a couple of bottles of wine).

Can anyone give an over view of the important bits of season 2 so far?

sadly no, my interaction with the show has been glancing at the screen once and commenting OOoohhh It does look nice in HD.