The Official Robin Hood Topic

PopeSmokesDope

I'm actually tempted to watch the 2 parter finale tomorrow (with a couple of bottles of wine).

Can anyone give an over view of the important bits of season 2 so far?

Rather a lot of spoilers up to episode 10 - Lardner's Ring

Alan was working as a spy for Gisbourne, tipping off the bad guys to Robin's plans to warn King Richard of the Sheriff. The Sheriff has been collecting support from various Lords to turn against the King and launch a surprise attack on him with the Black Knights when he lands on the south of England. Alan was found out and became Gisbourne's right hand man but he's still slightly loyal to Robin and allowed Will to escape when he was captured. Marion is a whore who it seems can't decide whether she wants Guy or Robin. Hopefully she'll go for the former because that would be a bit different and he did stay behind to die with her when he was allowed safe passage out of Nottingham from Prince John's army. Robin finally got a message out to King Richard using the Sultans best carrier pigeon.

So it all seems to be building up to a pretty decent finale. It's been nice having a large story thread run through the series. It's a massive improvement on the last season and it's well worth catching up on.

quite tempted to give this a try tomorrow... I watched some of the first series but got fed up with it. It was the same every week - Robin in a scrape, get's caught, threatens to kill someone but doesn't and then escapes in a really badly shot fight.

Now, I'm one of those who enjoyed Primeval (the last episode was *excellent*) - so... what do I know?

Well that was different. Absolutely marvellous all the way through until the rather quick wrap up, should have ended with the funeral rather than try to show horn an epilogue into less than a minute. Proof that you can do serious drama at 7pm on a Saturday without it being a big ball of cheese and have it lose it's impact. I really really hope this gets another series now. It's almost like a reset.

Well that was different. Absolutely marvellous all the way through until the rather quick wrap up, should have ended with the funeral rather than try to show horn an epilogue into less than a minute. Proof that you can do serious drama at 7pm on a Saturday without it being a big ball of cheese and lose it's impact. I really really hope this gets another series now. It's almost like a reset.

Apparantly season 3's confirmed as announcer said "will be back".

Well that was different. Absolutely marvellous all the way through until the rather quick wrap up, should have ended with the funeral rather than try to show horn an epilogue into less than a minute. Proof that you can do serious drama at 7pm on a Saturday without it being a big ball of cheese and have it lose it's impact. I really really hope this gets another series now. It's almost like a reset.

What is something else on that's NOT this rubbish?!?! Where!!

Proof that you can do serious drama at 7pm on a Saturday without it being a big ball of cheese and have it lose it's impact.

:(

Season Two must have been completely different then, as the first series was quite possibly the most amateurish thing I've ever seen on telly. The fight scenes! I've seen duels in school plays that were better choreographed! So... did it change?

And what happened at the end for it to be a "reset"?

:(

Season Two must have been completely different then, as the first series was quite possibly the most amateurish thing I've ever seen on telly. The fight scenes! I've seen duels in school plays that were better choreographed! So... did it change?

And what happened at the end for it to be a "reset"?

Yep everything you said there is correct. The first season was an affront to every god in existence with terrible repetitive stories, god awful slow motion fight scenes and no character development at all. Pretty much every complaint has been addressed. Sure there's still some moments where the budget shines through, like I mentioned above with the "massive" army. It just seems the producers looked at the criticism the first series got and actually tried to change things. It was the last episode that really shone though and provided some excellent dramatic moments. The kind of serious moments I long for in Who, in between the cheese of course.

As for a reset, I said it was almost one because

2 of the gang have stayed in the Holy Land to make little babies and Marion is dead. So they've wittled it down to Robin, Much, Little John and Alan. Room for new members and of course no more Marion in the castle storyline what with her and her father sucking the sword this series.

• 1 year later...
So did anyone watch the new series on Saturday?

Any good/improvement?

(hee. I can use the same message for Robin Hood/Primeval. I wonder who "won" the ratings war...)

Token black guy brought in as Friar Tuck and annoying moorish girl and Will Scarlett both gone, otherwise same old.

In summary: not worth watching

Token black guy brought in as Friar Tuck and annoying moorish girl and Will Scarlett both gone, otherwise same old.

In summary: not worth watching

I think it's actually gotten worse! Jonas Armstrong really can't act/emote. And they PC'd up Tuck! :(

I knew Marian

Died

, but what happened to Will (and the Muslim woman) ?

I watched Saturday's episode; it climaxed with a total eclipse of the heart sun. In the VERY NEXT SHOT, you could see a gibbous moon in the background in a completely different part of the sky. 0/10, I will stick to The Sky At Night in future.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the last episode (the translation one) was actually pretty good. (If you ignored Robin Hoos and his "acting"). I liked the whole Bible thing.

It's shedding viewers fast though:

Primeval edged ahead of Robin Hood in the ratings last night - but both shows lost a significant number of viewers.

Last week both dramas returned for their third series, with Hood drawing 5.62m (25.8%) to Primeval's 5.27m (23.7%).

Last night Robin Hood shed over 1.4m to average just 4.19m (22.8%) at the slightly earlier time of 6.25pm.

Primeval, meanwhile, was down 900k to 4.37m (22.5%) at 6.55pm.

And with Robin and now the Sherif not returning after 3 (if it gets commissioned) surely that's it done?

• 2 months later...

It's still pretty naff, but the last few episodes have been pretty enjoybale in a "Saturday Night Mindless Fluff Entertainment" though.

Archer is so being set up as

Robin Hood in season 4 when Jonas leave

This is the most dreadful thing in the history of dreadful things.

It's realised quite well, but the writing and plotting are just rubbish.

My favourite bit was when the villainess (Isabelle?) said "Bring me their heads! I want them alive!"

If they'd actually followed through on that it might actually have been pretty good.

Caught the last 10 mins of the last episode channel flicking, it does seem to have improved a lot!

This sounds a bit dumb, but I like the way that people actually die when they fight with swords or get shot with arrows, rather than the naff A-Team/TMNT "shoot a rope holding up a bag of flour with an arrow that falls on their head to disable them" thing.

Was shocked when the Sheriff's evil henchman got shot stone dead with an arrow, in earlier series they would have beaten him with sticks and then tied him up and stuck him on a Donkey or something.

Violence and death for the win!

It's improved immensely. It's still fluff, but much better fluff.

And it looks nice in HD :)

Hexx is probably right about Archer, though it's a bit of a shame.

The Gisbourne / Hood relationship is definitely the most interesting though. The other merry men are nowhere near as developed as those two now.

• 2 weeks later...