The Official Robin Hood Topic

PopeSmokesDope

Let's have some mystic magical stuff like the old RoS!

No, no no. If you want an old English legend with mystical hijinks, go to King Arthur. Robin Hood's not about anything more than getting into scrapes, then executing a daring plan to escape. Or playing a trick on someone. And that's it.

I wish someone would make TV that didn't have character development, or a series-long story arc - just a set of dudes who get into scrapes each week. Like the A Team or Knight Rider, but good and modern. There's plenty enough series with all that stuff, and every now and then I just want something simple and easy and where it doesn't matter if you missed it last week.

I like it. I also love Battlestar Galactica, Firefly and Test Drive: Unlimited. What does that tell you about "taste"? ;)

It's hardly on a level with the quality of BSG of course, but it's enjoyable for what it is, and that's mindless fluff.

It's terrible though, Jev, on every level I can think of! Writing, acting, direction, editing, music, sound effects, lighting, cinematography... you name it, it's shit!

It's terrible though, Jev, on every level I can think of! Writing, acting, direction, editing, music, sound effects, lighting, cinematography... you name it, it's shit!

I don't have a problem with most of the actors. Munch is a little too cheesy, but Robin himself is pretty cool, as is the Sherriff and Guy of Gisbourne. Little John too. Also, what's wrong with the music?

Like I said though, it's not exactly groundbreaking stuff that will be remembered down the ages. It's just an enjoyable way to spend an hour on Saturday evenings, and there's really nothing else like it on TV at the moment.

It's like a temp track. It's not only totally forgettable, but it's wrongly placed in the sound mix.

I tend not to notice the technical innadiquacies of TV shows, mainly because I don't know what to look for, but I'm quite happy to remain in ignorance. ;)

I actually quite like the theme tune, but I admit I can't remember any of the music from the episodes themeselves.

some folks are being overly critical of this...

episode 2 was enjoyable - other than the 'take 10 minutes to go down a rope slide' - there was nothing in it that particularly annoyed me.

I do want to see Robin actualy shove an arrow through a couple of bad guys though...

After hating the first episode, I found this one to be a bit better. It's caught my interest now and I'll probably see it through to the end of the run. And as been mentioned previously in this thread, while Robin is definitely cute, he is too young. And his sidekick is annoying.

I thought the second episode was decent family viewing and so did the family. So it did the job as far as I'm concerned.

I only had two problems:

1. The sound levels were all wrong. The dialogue was so quiet that we had to turn the telly volume up to 35 (normal level ~25) but still the speech was drowned out by any sound effects or music. It also meant that the continuity announcement over the end credits was deafening and caused a mad rush for the remote control...

2. I cringed every time they shoehorned in another topical reference. "There are camps in the holy land where men are taught to hate their own country, and return home to commit atrocities," or something, and the defence of their extreme methods of maintaing law and order on the basis that "we are at war". It just came across like it was written by sixth formers. Perhaps it was!

Have to say I wasn't impressed with Ep2 either. The sidekick needs killing off, he's so pathetic it's not even funny. How the hell did someone like that survive "four years in the holy land!one!1" The slide down the rope was nearly as bad as the first episodes backflip shot repeated 5 times from different angles! Plus Robin not killing anyone makes me even less interested in his character, the Sheriff already has him sussed. I'd love to see the Sheriff walk into Robin's village in Ep3, kill everyone and then walk away laughing.

Maybe I'm just getting old and cynical, but I really want to see Robin and all his men die. Guy and the Sheriff are the only two characters I've come close to liking.

1. The sound levels were all wrong. The dialogue was so quiet that we had to turn the telly volume up to 35 (normal level ~25) but still the speech was drowned out by any sound effects or music. It also meant that the continuity announcement over the end credits was deafening and caused a mad rush for the remote control...

That's one of the problems I have with it as well. To be fair the BBC seem to be having a problem with music levels at the moment as Doctor Who was bad as well.

The other problem I have is the snap zooms. If one show didn't need them it was this one. Other than that it was a great family show.

Well I thought I would give the 2nd episode a chance sadly it was even worse than the first episode.

Robin is just too much of a cocky twat, and he seems to be able to fire his bow faster than the elf out of Hawk the Slayer ( which would have made a better TV series than this)

All the villagers seem retarded and Much's rampant homosexuality seems out of place.

There's no sense of danger, Robin doesnt want to kill the Sheriff or even guards , and a castle full of heavily armed guards couldnt stop Robins useless band. So where does that leave the rest of the series ?

Perhaps it will turn darker as it progresses? I doubt it but i wont be sticking around to find out.

I don't think is too bad a show to be honest. It's all harmless fun and I could see myself watching it as a family just as JPickford watched DrWho with his kids.

I just can't help thinking of this woman each time I see Marion though.

chyna2.jpg

So what does it say about the new Hood that no one can be bothered to comment on this weeks episode? Did anyone watch it? I missed it and was kind of curious if it was as weak as the first two, if so I probably won't make an effort to watch any more.

So what does it say about the new Hood that no one can be bothered to comment on this weeks episode? Did anyone watch it? I missed it and was kind of curious if it was as weak as the first two, if so I probably won't make an effort to watch any more.

Be amazed if it makes it through this run. Surely Saturday night's too important to take this much of a pummeling?

Yesterday's episode was written by Paul Cornell, who wrote the 'Father's Day' episode of Doctor Who. And, the actor who plays Much is the grandson of the actor who played the second Doctor!

Interesting! Mainly because I hear it was abysmal, yet Father's Day was amazing! It's on my Telewest TV Drive though (Hood) so I'll have to watch it before the next ep in a "loves car-crash telly" manner.

Having been mildly positive about the first two episodes as decent family viewing, I thought the third was just plain rubbish. It had all the usual problems everyone's already mentioned including yet more painfully shoehorned-in war on terror references, with the added twist of a story which didn't even make sense.

I think I'll tempt the kids with another Who re-watch next week instead.

I understand it's dropped 2 million viewers since the first episode. I fear it's 2 million and one now.

Disappointed in this. It's not totally crap, but it's definately not 'must watch', and I've too many other things to watch instead to bother with it anymore.