IGNORED

Dexter - Series 8 now done (US). It was the last series apparently.

Sideshow

I'm really, really surprised that none of the 'big' channels have picked up this show.

You mean UK based?

I really can't see it on BBC. Maybe late night C4 or 9pm Five.

It's too good to leave on ftn (or whatever it's called)

I'm liking season 2 so far, but I'm missing the "Who is ITK/What does he want" vibe from season 1.

Has anyone read the books yet? Season 1 is meant to mirror book 1, but season 2 is different from book 2.

Aye, spoilered just in case ;

Dexters sister is aware that he is a serial killer at the end of book 1, and thus is aware all the way through book 2. Something that was very different in the TV series. Also, Dexter had a much harder time choosing if to kill her at the end of the book as opposed to the show.

TBH I'm not surprised it's different - the 'killings' in the book were horrific and I would have been shocked to see them make it to tv............

Yeah I can imagine the deaths in the books be more horrific. I think he comes across a bit tame in this show. Oh and what was with the ending of the last episode. AWFUL. It was almost comical. The sudden zoom on the camera and the expression.

How do you know they know each other? i just figured rita was jelous as shes a bit of alright. I have the books but i lost the 1st one mid way thru and ive not started on the other 2, im gonna wait till the end of series 2 for that. So far this series has been good, the 1st 2 episodes were great with the promise of his grave being discovered. Hope it continues.

How do you know they know each other? i just figured rita was jelous as shes a bit of alright. I have the books but i lost the 1st one mid way thru and ive not started on the other 2, im gonna wait till the end of series 2 for that. So far this series has been good, the 1st 2 episodes were great with the promise of his grave being discovered. Hope it continues.

Season 1 mirrors book 1 quite heavily.

I think they deviate in season 2 quite a bit from book 2.

The following spoiler comes from book 2 and reveal its ending, don't look if you haven't read the 2nd book.

Love the series, though a few differences between the books and the series do nark. Such as the way bodies were disposed of in the first book, then dexter discovering the dumping the bodies off a boat trick from someone he kills in books 2 (I think). Some of the stuff from the books is almost too gruesome to be done on TV, for example, the character I most want to see brought from the books to the series

Dr Danko

. No idea how they would do it though.

Either the amputation parts or the fact that Doakes (who brings most of the threat to dexter in the series) is crippled by Danko at the end of the 2nd book, basically removing him as a viable threat to dexter. It forces a 3rd book (if there is one) to go massively different as most of the tension has been removed. I found it a bit of a cop out ending.

Another great "motherfucker" from Doakes in this ep, though there's one absolutely terrible scene towards the end that was totally false and made me cringe. Took the shine off a good episode. One nice - or rather, nasty - little twist though.

Which scene do you mean?

A really, really great ep this week.

Was half expecting to see something cheesy at the end, like

Doakes watching over the dock, but the security camera was perfect imo.

Can't wait to see how Dexter gets out of this one, if he does.

Great episode as always (this show has never disappointed me).

I thought that Lila having killed someone would be Dexters get-out clause for offing her at some future point, say after she's discovered who he really is and either gets off on it and tries to get involved, or freaks out. Looks like she's off the hook on that one though.

I saw the childrens book thing coming a mile off, but it was a funny twist.

I agree that Lila is annoying, but only so far as the accent. I don't know why English people in US dramas fall victim to that. Maybe it's because they stick out so much. I can imagine her being less annoying if she was an American character.

Only problem i have with this series so far is they seem to be humanising him which is actually making me not like the character and what he does as much as the first series. They did it so well in the first series where you can understand that he is a monster and then enjoy what he was and why he was doing it, but now, he just feels a little wrong, especially in the last episode. Still great TV though easily one of the best things on TV at the moment.

Hmm... personally I'm finding it much more compelling seeing him slightly unravel as he struggles with his more 'human' side. It's a great arc for the character.

I am too. It's more dramatic. His lack of emotion made everything a little more casual in the first season.

Hmm... personally I'm finding it much more compelling seeing him slightly unravel as he struggles with his more 'human' side. It's a great arc for the character.

The danger is that it's a one-way journey. If Dexter's humanised by the end of it then he loses his USP and becomes like any other character in a drama. If he gets his sociopathy back then it's going to have been a big tease (and it's hard to imagine a graceful way for that to happen, the way things are going).

One problem with Lila is that she feels superfluous at the moment; any of the changes she brings to Dexter could easily have come from his relationship with Rita. If he didn't feel for her in the first place he would have simply found a way to lie about his meetings - steal the chips or whatever. I'm concerned that with Lila they might have over-egged the pudding and made things move a little too fast as a result. But we'll see, it's still enjoyable to watch.

I love the fact that Rita is his ultimate cover up and he becomes awesome in my book because he can lie so well and hold it all together. By falling apart he's gonna either completely fall for Rita/ Lila/both then have a big realisation that he loves the kids or something, which i don't like the idea of, i think he's far nicer as a monster.

The lies become nasty horrible things as it falls apart, not a "look at me lieing and being so calm, i'm awesome" guess they become more lies and less minipulation and the minipulation is far cleverer and nicer to see.

I'm thinking that Lila's going to turn out to be some sort of dark fantasy groupie. Presumably she'll end up turning hm back onto killing again by the end of the series, perhaps making him disregard Harry's code altogether.

I wonder why the episodes are such random lengths though? Some end up being 40 mins whilst this week's was 55.

It's like that with all cable drama's. I can't recall any episode being less than 50 minutes, though. It's always between 50 and 60 minutes long. I much prefer it this way. Better to fit as much as they want into an episode and make it as long as they like rather than cram/cut stuff to fit a set 44 minute timeframe, like network shows do.