Dexter - Series 8 now done (US). It was the last series apparently.

Sideshow

A bit too predictable in some respects (I called Doakes dying weeks ago, I thought car crash or something...maybe shot by police - anything but Dexter.

But some of the other moments were pure magic.

I had tingles when I realised that Dexter knew that Lilah was a killer now, and therefore "fair game".

I like that Dexter's grown and admitted he needs his relationships - and that he has feelings.

Season 3 is going to be intense...

I'll echo the sentiments on here. Fantastic end to the season top tier TV.

Gutted about Doakes, but also happy for Dexter. I too realised he was dead as soon as Lila knew about Dex. The most pleasing thing was I instantly realised Dex can kill the mental cow now. So much that a "YAY"went up when the knife went in. Debs has been great this series too though some fantastic lines

Ah, a multi-layered spoiler.

Ep 12 and

Book 3

:

I hope that "higher power" stuff wasn't a reference to Book 3, in which (from the summaries I've read) it sounds like things take a shit-sounding supernatural twist.

Ah, a multi-layered spoiler.

Ep 12 and

Book 3

:

I hope that "higher power" stuff wasn't a reference to Book 3, in which (from the summaries I've read) it sounds like things take a shit-sounding supernatural twist.

Heard this too. Aliens or something which is ridiculous

One thing that didn’t really ring through for me is the last few episodes was

Dexters plan to frame Doakes and that somehow this doesn’t conflict with this code. How could a scheme that leads to Doakes being executed not breach the code? It’s no different than syringe in the neck and swift dismemberment. OK, he’s not dying at Dexters hands but he would still be dead as a direct result of his actions.

Dexters plan to frame Doakes and that somehow this doesn’t conflict with this code. How could a scheme that leads to Doakes being executed not breach the code? It’s no different than syringe in the neck and swift dismemberment. OK, he’s not dying at Dexters hands but he would still be dead as a direct result of his actions.

I was also wondering.... IF Doakes was "fair game" but Lila got to him first.... Would Dexter still be able to kill Lila? Does the fact that she'd have killed someone who was "fair game" change anything?

I don't think they'll take the supernatural root next season. They have already deviated from the books significantly enough for it not to be an issue as far as I can tell. I mean in the second book doesn't Doakes get abducted and have something amputated?

I am thinking it may focus on Dexters new code, and his fresh perspective but also on his relationship with Rita. Maybe a wedding is on the horizon?

I can't picture how they would ever wrap up the last season of Dexter - no one would want to see him brought to justice surely?

I can put down Dexter's half-arsed plans concerning Doakes to his confused and rapidly-changing state of mind at least. I just think he really didn't have a concrete idea of what he was going to do about him. It amused me how easily he was swayed from whatever course he was on at the moment by everyone he spoke to - by Doakes, Rita and Deb. Going in with particular plans and coming out with an entirely new perspective.

Harry's Code has the number one rule of "Don't get caught". Everything else is geared towards Dexter obeying that number one rule. Therefore, framing someone else for a crime (or indeed killing them) would not be against the code if that was the only option available to him.

Not going to discuss the last 2 episodes. They delivered, I'm happy.

It's been a fucking pleasure to live through it all guys. Been one of the most remarkable series of a television show I've ever witnessed. Every episode was compelling. Virtually every line built up to something wonderful.

I'll see you all in 4 weeks time for The Wire Series 5, no doubt. It's like everything else on telly just doesn't really matter any more. Not when there's benchmarks like these.

502uwdc.jpg

What was great about this season is that it absolutely delivered, I'm always worried that after such a strong initial season that the next one will never live up to it - but this has just been so intense and amazing the whole way through. I loved the ending, it kept us guessing all the way.

I don't think anyone could have been rooting for Lilah at the point of her death - framing whathisname for rape, and then trying to kill Dexter and the kids - she had it coming. But the coldness of the killing as well as that pleading fearful look in her eyes made me feel some remorse for her.

Cracking acting throughout, and hats off for anyone who can deliver the "oh, excuse my tits line" without pissing themselves laughing.

A little sad that Doakes has gone, but I think it means Dexter must need a new nemisis, so I look forward to season 3

Surely

Laguerta won't let it lie. She'll want to clear Doakes' name and who knows what she'll unearth.

I don’t see them going that way. Doakes was investigating Dexter because he knew there was something wrong with him, Laguerta digs Dex. I think she even tried it on with him in S.1

Unless she starts looking at the cases Doakes was working on at the time he died and sees all the digging he was doing into Dexters past. That might put Dex on her radar.

Re: Doakes...

His rather one-note (but still brilliant) behaviour throughout the two series just made his performances in the last three episodes even better. Particularly the moments where he seemed genuinely scared were enormously affecting. And I really felt for LaGuerta, too.

Not sure it'll be quite the same without Doakes, but it'll be interesting to see whether Maria will unearth something that makes Dex's life very difficult in Season Three. I think there'll end up being another nemesis, though.

Had the 3 last episodes to watch in one go, great stuff. I agree with the comment about the lila thing.

I would recommend it to friends but its a show thats slow to start. The first 5 episodes of season 1 are quite generic if you don't know the characters. Can't wait for season 3. No idea what they can do now, surely not another "will he get caught"? plotline?

...for some reason I keep thinking about the idea of Harry not being dead... :unsure:

Just finished season 2 yesterday, (having started it on Thursday). Brilliant stuff - I was really dubious as to how they could eke out enough compelling story after the first season, but hoo boy, they did.

Can't wait for 3 now. There has to be an element of Dex getting too close to being caught for comfort - its the nature of what he does and how close he is to the people that would put him down if they ever discovered his secret, but I think after what they've done with 1 & 2 it would be cool if Dex was fighting for his life rather than his continued freedom. Rather than another serial killer having it in for him, perhaps we could we have a stone cold, super efficient, super scary, inhuman contract killer after him. After all, Dexter's got to have taken out at least 1 powerful criminal underlord.

Anyhoo, whatever they do for 3, I'm now much more confident in the abilities of the creative types employed to continue Dexter's story. Bravo!

RIP Doakes. You had to go, but you'll be missed. Motherfucker!

Just finished season 2 yesterday, (having started it on Thursday). Brilliant stuff - I was really dubious as to how they could eke out enough compelling story after the first season, but hoo boy, they did.

Can't wait for 3 now. There has to be an element of Dex getting too close to being caught for comfort - its the nature of what he does and how close he is to the people that would put him down if they ever discovered his secret, but I think after what they've done with 1 & 2 it would be cool if Dex was fighting for his life rather than his continued freedom. Rather than another serial killer having it in for him, perhaps we could we have a stone cold, super efficient, super scary, inhuman contract killer after him. After all, Dexter's got to have taken out at least 1 powerful criminal underlord.

Anyhoo, whatever they do for 3, I'm now much more confident in the abilities of the creative types employed to continue Dexter's story. Bravo!

RIP Doakes. You had to go, but you'll be missed. Motherfucker!

Essential Dexter vs Terminator then?