Dexter - Series 8 now done (US). It was the last series apparently.

Sideshow

Just watched 11 and 12.

Amazing stuff. Pound for pound has anything delivered two such great series on the bounce.

The last five/ten minutes were hard to take - with Dexter getting the kids out and they Lyla leaving for Paris I was sure she had left something to kill Debs.

But no - we got a 'happy' ending and a clean slate for series 3. Can't wait for it.

Yeah I really like this clean slate thing. I really thought dexter was changing and becoming 'good' during the middle of this season. If anything I think its made him more determined to keep on going with it and won't let anyone start changing him again.

Is the book series beyond this point then?

Brilliant stuff. One thing's bothering me:

What about all the boat evidence? Unless I missed something, I don't think it was proven that Doakes had a boat in any of the marinas or had hired one. How did the police suppose he dumped the bodies?

Brilliant stuff. One thing's bothering me:

What about all the boat evidence? Unless I missed something, I don't think it was proven that Doakes had a boat in any of the marinas or had hired one. How did the police suppose he dumped the bodies?

Good point - I don't remember them addressing this.

Lundy's spider sense was never set off by Doakes anyway, so I guess there's room for this to rear it's head in the future. That said, when you are already the number one suspect and your body is found with a victim that matches the exact MO, in a cabin in the middle of nowhere and with your prints are all over the murder/dismemberment tools, there's only one conclusion that can reasonably be drawn, despite other, (relatively) minor discrepencies. "Absense of proof is not proof of absense" - just because Doakes didn't have a boat at the marina, doesn't mean he couldn't have used rocks from there to weigh down his victims' cadavers.

The thing I have a problem with, is that

the Miami police. apparantly don't keep the record of who takes out impounded cars. They have to be signed for, so why throw the info away.

Just doesn't make sense.

Why?

There's a limit to how much crappy paperwork anyone keeps hanging around

All we do is pick up the pieces. We take all the evidence... all the pictures, statements. Write everything down and note what time things happened. We take it all, make a nice, neat pile and file it away, just in case it's ever needed in a courtroom.

Just finished the series - fantastic stuff.

sad to see Doakes go but it did had to happen. I think that's one of the things that sets Dexter apart - in something like Lost they'd have contrived a way to keep him, maybe a bump to the head and amnesia!!!

Just finished the series - fantastic stuff.

sad to see Doakes go but it did had to happen. I think that's one of the things that sets Dexter apart - in something like Lost they'd have contrived a way to keep him, maybe a bump to the head and amnesia!!!

Nah, Lost is a pretty intelligent show, they'd never do anything like that.

Heroes, on the other hand.......

Nah, Lost is a pretty intelligent show, they'd never do anything like that.

Heroes, on the other hand.......

What about the mess Lost has made with Sawyer - shall we make him bad, or good, or bad? Or good again because people like him? The characters in Lost seem to change almost weekly.

Agreed about Heroes, mind!

Is season three confirmed? I hope not. It's prison break all over again, an excellent first series which I thought couldn't be stretched to a second. The second turned out to be excellent but there's no way they can make a third as good as the others.

Where's it going to go?

:wub:

Is season three confirmed? I hope not. It's prison break all over again, an excellent first series which I thought couldn't be stretched to a second. The second turned out to be excellent but there's no way they can make a third as good as the others.

Where's it going to go?

:wub:

So you don't want a third on the basis that the other two were excellent?

Exactly.

It isn't the west wing, there isn't a never ending supply of new plot ideas or twists to the serial killer as protagonist format, it's inherently limited. Where can it go from here? Dexter ended with its loose ends tied up and a satisfying conclusion. Any further series would probably be a bit shit.

Yes I could choose not to watch a third series but I don't want to be disapointed.

Exactly.

It isn't the west wing, there isn't a never ending supply of new plot ideas or twists to the serial killer as protagonist format, it's inherently limited. Where can it go from here? Dexter ended with its loose ends tied up and a satisfying conclusion. Any further series would probably be a bit shit.

Yes I could choose not to watch a third series but I don't want to be disapointed.

Dexter's on to book 3 now. I know that the series and the story in the books parted ways with series two, (so I don't see a series 3 following the story in book 3), but the author at least, seems to think the character still has legs.

I appreciate your concern though. After the first two series, it would be better if they left it there rather than produce something that is not up to the standard already set.

I don’t see them going that way. Doakes was investigating Dexter because he knew there was something wrong with him, Laguerta digs Dex. I think she even tried it on with him in S.1

Unless she starts looking at the cases Doakes was working on at the time he died and sees all the digging he was doing into Dexters past. That might put Dex on her radar.

Yeah, I didn't mean she'd suspect anyone in particular intially but she sure as shit thinks Doakes was not the killer. If she tries to clear his name who knows what she'll dig up?

• 3 weeks later...

Just superb. That's all I can say. I purposely saved all the episodes because I knew I wouldn't be able to wait a week at a time to see what happens. I was almost fast forwarding the last couple of episodes because I desperate to see how it all panned out.

Quick question, I'm right in thinking Darkly Dreaming Dexter is the first book? I am not a book reader at all, but really want to read this and see how it compares to season 1. Thanks.

Quick question, I'm right in thinking Darkly Dreaming Dexter is the first book? I am not a book reader at all, but really want to read this and see how it compares to season 1. Thanks.

That's right. It's Darkly Dreaming Dexter first, then Dearly Devoted Dexter and finally Dexter In The Dark. I think there's another book coming at some point in the future too.

I've read the first 2 books myself and really enjoyed them.