IGNORED

Dexter - Series 8 now done (US). It was the last series apparently.

Sideshow

Thought I'd watch episode 1 last night before going to bed. Just finished watching episode 12 :P Don't think I've done that since 24 series 1.

Ended the series with loving every character, saw the ending coming a mile off (well, in the episode with his real father) but it certainly didn't stop me screaming with delight for most of the last 2 eps.

Filthy awesome TV viewing.

I love doing that when I find a new show that I really enjoy. Managed a few epsiodes of The Wire in one go recently, and all 3 episodes of The Lost Room in an evening when I planned on watching one per night. Not up to your standard there, but it feels good.

• 1 month later...

Well, this was jolly spiffing, wasn't it. Just watched the whole lot over the last few nights with my girlfriend and by jove it's good.

Avoided this thread until now. I did guess who the killer was before the reveal and the fact of how he related to Dexter and all that, but even so, mightily excellent stuff.

And I can't believe no one mentioned the frying pan bit with Paul in the kitchen. A true :wacko: moment and the way he frames him afterwards. Excellent stuff.

But still, how much must that electric knife hurt going into your throat. Ouch.

On the sick at the moment so spent all day watching Series One from start to finish.

Fantastic stuff and have to agree with the point about 12 episode series.

No filler episodes - everything drove the characters and the story forward.

More please!!!

Doakes FTW.

o/

He's my favourite character on the show. From his very first appearance on Dexter, he has been immense. I love the interaction between Doakes and Dexter and it bodes well for us that their storyline is a lot more important in the second book. Hopefully that'll result in more Doakes/Dexter scenes in the second series.

And I can't believe no one mentioned the frying pan bit with Paul in the kitchen. A true <_< moment and the way he frames him afterwards. Excellent stuff.

A definite 'lol' moment if ever there was one! The look on his face just after he smacks him with the pan was just pure genius.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

watched this all over last week or so, love it when i come late to the party and can be a slut and watch the whole series back to back. Its a good show, not great, but very damn good, and il be looking for the 2nd series. Think its a little wierd doakes is starting to follow him around on his spare time. strange angle. Really wanted dexter to kill debrah though, would have brought really dark air to the second series. to have them working as a pair, with dexter as their inside man, still, dont know how the brother got the indepth knowledge of forensics that dexter has.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started watching this, actually I started at the weekend and I am on the second to last episode already. I am really loving this, interesting how you can end up rooting for a chatacter who spends the majority of the series killing people. I am finding it totally engaging and at 12 episodes is the perfect length.

I am torn, even though usual Film/TV rules dictate that as a killer he should be caught ultimately I really don't want him to, very interesting character!

Considering picking up the two novels, I am presuming the second of which is based on the upcoming second series?

Considering picking up the two novels, I am presuming the second of which is based on the upcoming second series?

Other way around. This series is based on the novels. I've only read the first, but it is a bit different, especially the end.

Apparently a lot of things from the second series are introduced in the first one, so as to do some setup for season two. Equally, from what I've heard, there are certain things that you get inklings of in the first book that have been held back for the second season.

So, simply put, careful when you're reading if you want to see the show spoiler-free!

Ok so I finished it today, incredible, just incredible! I actually had my doubts about how it would turn out in the end, I did think he might end up teaming with the Ice Truck Killer.

I cannot wait for the next season to start lots of interesting stuff set up, like Rita looking a bit suspicious, and Doakes on his trail...

• 1 month later...
It's a great central performance, but after a handful of episodes it seems cheesy, queasily exploitative and nothing interesting has happened yet. However, loads of people with similar tastes to yours and mine (here and elsewhere) have said that it's amazing, so I reckon I'm going to have to re-download it and try again. I hope the last half of the series is better than the first part.

Sorry everyone, I was wrong! I gave it another go, after only watching four episodes last time. The unpleasant exploitative dwelling on Dexter's own crimes was pushed into the background after that, and the incorporation of the ice truck killer into the story later in the series was really well done. It was all very satisfying. The black guy, the sister and the woman police chief weren't brilliant, but otherwise it's one of the best new shows of the year.

Then bought the first book.

They'll be disappointed. It's awful. I've heard the second one is worse, but I don't have the patience to try it despite buying it. Plus it'd only be spoiling the second tv season, needlessly.

They'll be disappointed. It's awful. I've heard the second one is worse, but I don't have the patience to try it despite buying it. Plus it'd only be spoiling the second tv season, needlessly.

It is.

The character didn’t work in the books for me for some reason, he's annoying and just no fun. I haven’t read anything about the plot of season 2 but I assume it’s the same as the plot in the 2nd book.

The best thing about coming late to a series like this, is finding out how awesome it is, and not having to wait week after week to see what happens. I had a marathon viewing of it a couple of weeks back and loved every second. I have converted several people so far, all finding it compulsive viewing.

Can't wait for the second series.